Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when Im at WOT with windows down I hear the exhaust note sounded werid, doesnt sound smooth and makes little poping sound. I think it might be detonation...my shop also tells me that running 1.4 bar without FMIC could have attribute to this. I just wanna to know if its the fuel delivery. I had my filter changed about 2000miles ago and injectors were taken out, cleaned, and had new rings on.

any thought?

thanx
Jonas

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Originally posted by Zerosoul:
<STRONG>when Im at WOT with windows down I hear the exhaust note sounded werid, doesnt sound smooth and makes little poping sound. I think it might be detonation...my shop also tells me that running 1.4 bar without FMIC could have attribute to this. I just wanna to know if its the fuel delivery. I had my filter changed about 2000miles ago and injectors were taken out, cleaned, and had new rings on.

any thought?

thanx
Jonas</STRONG>
Your ignition is probably missing.

The 1.4kg/cm^2 (unless you have a VDO gauge it does not read in Bar) is 19.91 psi. Your coil packs may be old and tired if you are missing at this boost and you have new plugs gapped at or below .035

Make sure you don't have a bunch of oil on the insulator boots from a leaking cam cover seal.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx man! where is the insulator boot you talking about? if its near the spark plug, I see no oil anywhere whenever I change the plugs.
BTW, I am using NGK 6097 re-gapped at 30.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The 1.4kg/cm^2 (unless you have a VDO gauge it does not read in Bar) is 19.91 psi. "

so what does Greddy gauges read?

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
<STRONG>"The 1.4kg/cm^2 (unless you have a VDO gauge it does not read in Bar) is 19.91 psi. "

so what does Greddy gauges read?</STRONG>
It reads in Kg/cm^2, all Japanese gauges do. The only gauges that read in Bar are European, like VDO.

The boots are those white/blue silicon rubber affairs that are attached to the coil packs. You can pull them off and inspect them to ensure they have no rips/tears and they aren't oily.

I'm not sure what octane gas you get up in BC, but I'll bet your car would be overall faster, and last longer if you didn't boost over 1.2, about 17 psi.

I think the big torque spike that higher boost gives when #2 hits can fool the seat of your pants into thinking the car is faster, when it really isn't since the ECU is busy retarding timing and dumping fuel because it heard detonation.

Anyways, just my semi-informed opinions.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
I forgot to add that if your car is missing at ~20psi on 6097's gapped at .0315 (that's what they are out of the box) you *may* have weak coil packs.

The only really good way to figure this out is to swap packs with a strong running car and see if it makes a difference, the ohm meter tests are not conclusive since heat (like when the car is running) can make a big difference in the coils.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chip,

thanx for your info man, it was very helpful. my car is 126,000miles now and I think its time to spend that $300 and get new coil packs.
so for the Greeddy gauge, I shouldnt push over 1.2 is that what you're sayin? or 1.2 bar?

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
<STRONG>Chip,

thanx for your info man, it was very helpful. my car is 126,000miles now and I think its time to spend that $300 and get new coil packs.
so for the Greeddy gauge, I shouldnt push over 1.2 is that what you're sayin? or 1.2 bar?</STRONG>
Don't push over 1.2 kg/cm, this is what your Greddy boost gauge is calibrated in.

1.1 to 1.2 on the Greddy gauge will get you most of the performance higher boost will give, if not more, with less chance of destroying a turbo.

Reg Riemer (my hero :)) says more than 16psi on a BPU car is not cost effective from a power vs. longevity standpoint.

It's OK to up the boost when you have high octane gas in the tank for the occaisonal drag strip visit, but I wouldn't do it every day.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yuks!I have been pushing this turbo way too hard then...perhaps I dont even need a boost controler cuz withh only DP, exhasut, intake and BCC my car produces 1.2 bar max on a cold night.
but I have felt 1.4 already...how can I ever go back to 1.2...the car feel so slow now with my HKS EVc turned off.

Jonas

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
<STRONG>yuks!I have been pushing this turbo way too hard then...perhaps I dont even need a boost controler cuz withh only DP, exhasut, intake and BCC my car produces 1.2 bar max on a cold night.
but I have felt 1.4 already...how can I ever go back to 1.2...the car feel so slow now with my HKS EVc turned off.

Jonas</STRONG>
There are more than a few people who've pushed that much or more boost for years without any problems, some turbos last longer than others (better balance?), but at your mileage I don't think I would push it too hard unless I had a few buck laying around to replace a turbo.

Like Dirty Harry said..."You gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like Dirty Harry said..."You gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"[/QB][/QUOTE]

hell yeh I feel lucky! I replaced my turbo few month ago with Clints (turboimports.com) 30,000miles old stock turbo cuz of a boost leak that I couldnt find. oh well..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts