Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the track almost 2 months ago and each run kept getting slower. So after I changed my timing belt and water pump the other day, I decided to check the clutch. Besides the huge amounts of black powder in the bellhousing, there was a broken bolt and a couple loose bolts. I have the twin disk OS Giken. The adapter is what had the loose and broken bolts. This gave quite a bit of play as you can imagine, but the worst was yet to come. I pulled off the pressure plate and lo and behold:

Now I know my clutch is gone. The question is: can this be salvaged? The disks come pretty thin looking; and to the best of my memory they look the same. But the pressure plate, flywheel, and intermediate disk are quite burned. Is there any way to turn these or fix them some how? The rebuild kit for this clutch is ~$900. If I have to spend that much, I'd rather go with a new single disk set up. When I bought this clutch, there weren't any good single disk clutches that could hold a lot of power. BTW, the clutch has about 28k miles on it.

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
i had the same clutch in my rx7, i just found someone that had disks locally and put it back together, it was in almost the same condition as yours.... the only difference is i had them take about maybe 5 thousandths off the flywheel and pressure plate and kept i guess its called the floaters with the wear on them and had no problems...... this was on an 89 rx7 t2 making about 290 whp

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was wondering how someone would turn the floater disk and pressure plate disk. To turn the flywheel, I guess you took off the assembly that holds the disks? I'm thinking if I get new disks they have to be ordered and wait 2 months. The disks look as if they have the same amount of material on them as when they were new. But somethings wrong or else they wouldn't slip. I'm guessing I'll just have to suck it up and get a whole new clutch and flywheel set up.

·
LD President
502 Posts
damn that sucks man. dont try and turn the flywheel (if that's what im understanding youre doing) cause it's a pita to get right being that it's dual mass. for 900, go for the hpf feramic from horsepowerfreaks. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago and f'n love it.

Mike

·
BoosT AddicT
238 Posts
I would go with WOTM AZ single disk clutch setup. I have it and it's awsome. Just getting ready to get another 1 25,000 miles later. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking about the HPF bronze with a lightweight flywheel. Possibly the RPS flywheel.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Jade Supra said:
I'm thinking about the HPF bronze with a lightweight flywheel. Possibly the RPS flywheel.
I have the HPF bronze disk, RPS stage 3 PP and Mueller lightweight FW and I love the combo. I must be one of the lucky few because my set up makes zero noise or chatter.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Euphoric said:
I have the HPF bronze disk, RPS stage 3 PP and Mueller lightweight FW and I love the combo. I must be one of the lucky few because my set up makes zero noise or chatter.
you lucky!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up ordering the HPF bronze with Southbend pressure plate and RPS flywheel. Can't wait to see how it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts