Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Here's what happened. I was at a track earlier today and during one of the laps while flooring it on the main straight it felt as if the trans let go for a fraction of a second and then re-engaged and did the upshift. Well shortly after I began to smell trans fluid and saw a good bit of smoke behind me. Pulled in, jacked up the car and noticed that the fluid leaked right between the engine and the trans. Turned the car off, let it sit for about an hour, then started it back up to see what's going on and the leak was gone. I was contemplating towing the car home but decided to baby it back checking the level of the fluid every few miles. I did make it ok. The fluid is still red and smells OK. Is my trans seal gone or why did I get this dischatge of fluid and where did it come from? I haven't pushed the car at all after this happened. Just drove it home in top gear with cruise set to 60mph.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yuri

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
So is your car still leaking ATF? How much?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ACEspiritu said:
So is your car still leaking ATF? How much?
No, at least not at the moment. Driving back about 150 miles I didn't push past 3000 rpms and I'm on a 3200 stall. But it is not leaking any fluid and the fluid is still bright red and smells like it's out of the bottle. The trans also shifted out of and into every gear ok since the incident.

SupraDupaFlyBoy: And how do I tell. Not trying to be a smartass, seriously want to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one has any ideas?

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
What's strange is that the leak has apparently stopped.
Especially when you describe "a good bit of smoke behind [you]"...sounds like quite a significant leak to be causing that kind of imagery.

I'm not too familiar with your particular Supra A/T, but if you're sure it was leaking A/T fluid from between the transmission and engine, then it could only come from a few places...like the torque converter or the transmission input shaft seal. But then if it were the input shaft seal, I would think that it would continue to leak...once fluid has found a passage to escape, it has already contaminated the sealing surface(s) and will continue to escape.

Anyway, just trying to foster some ideas for your thread.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
considering the tranny "let go" for a second, i would say you lost MLP so i would think it would be something letting pressure out of the pump leading me to believe it was coming out of the pump seal. the only way to know is to pull it out, sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts