Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I think I know the answer, I just wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions or things to try before I start shopping for trannies.

I just recently installed a 67GTQ on my stock fuel stock tranny setup. I also upgraded to a 4000 stall converter. I have 2 aux. coolers and an external filter. The fluid has been flushed twice in the past year and a half and the tranny only has 30,000 miles on it.

I took the car to the track yesterday and for some reason my 1/8 mile to 1/4 wasn't very good although I didn't feel the trans slipping. There are also other factors I am considering for these crappy times. My trac fuse was out for the 2 runs I made too. On my way home the car felt fine on the highway. When I got onto the local streets though the car didn't want to seem to shift into third. It would rev out second more than usual, then I would get off the gas to get the car to shift but it would just engine brake. Sometimes it would shift a few seconds after I let off of the gas too. I then tried putting it in Manu mode and shifting through the gears. 1-2 was fine but I put it in D and nothing happened. Is was tranny shot? I was thought that people usually had problems with the 1-2 shift first?

S

·
0 Posts
Please tell me you didn't run it at the track with a 14:1 - 15:1 AFR!!!

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
It doesn't sound good. I haven't heard of too many people with 3rd gear problems though. But with a big single your stock tranny is only buying time.

Check your fluid and see if it is dark brown/black and full of clutch material and smells like shit. If it is still red, you might have some sort of solenoid issue.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll do that, thanks RSA.

Stoker, my first run I let off but got a little past the 330' mark, well before the 1/8, right after my car shifted to second. After that, all the Supra guys there were telling me that my WB was probably shot. Albert Diaz told me he usually runs 1700 EGTs when he goes lean while I was running nowhere near that. I decided to make one run just to see how my EGTs and knock would react if I stayed on the gas. This was probably not the smartest thing to do, but sometimes I just get frustrated and impatient...stupid I know. Anyway, I let off in the begining of the run but stayed on the gas for the rest of the way. My EGTs never went above 600 and I had no knock. After that run I was done. The only reason why I actually completed that run to was to see how the EGT and knock would react, not to run a good time. BTW, the AF was reading 14:1 that run. :( Even if my WB is correct, I don't think any damage could have been done without any knock right? I was watching that VERY carefully.

S

·
0 Posts
You've put a decent amount of time/work into your car so far. I'd hate to see the engine damaged. Be careful man!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your concern, and you are 100% correct. It was dumb but at least it wasn't for the full 1/4 and I was watching the other gauges (I keep telling myself that :)). Also, that thought of the car having to sit for the winter anyway gave me a little more courage to see what was going on. It LOOKS like everything is fine after that run and I definitly won't be doing anything like that again until I know EXACTLY what is going on. Thanks again for all the input youve been giving me in regards to my problems. :)

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
When I was on my stock trans, when it would get warm it would hesistate (And sometimes not at all) shift into 2nd or 3rd....when i drained the fluid, it was a slight brown but didnt smell burnt...Putting in the SP gen II tranny solved everything and the car runs and shifts beautifully. Good luck getting the leaning issue solved and be sure to periodically check the plugs just be be extra sure ;)

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts