Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides having no power steering. is there any other negative aspect. some have said its bad for the steering rack. is this true? because i dont want power steering. thanks

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
why wouldnt you want power steering? unless its a drag car, you dont really lose weight or gain any power by having it gone. It is hard on the steering, i drove my DSM for a while without power steering and it messed it up. Supras were designed to have the steering assisted by hydraulic pressure so it might be a bad idea. Unless you just go in a straight line and to a trailer then it wouldnt matter.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Urban Customs said:
besides having no power steering. is there any other negative aspect. some have said its bad for the steering rack. is this true? because i dont want power steering. thanks
Have you ever driven your car without PS?
Try it and you'll decide it's well worth it.
I've driven similar weight cars without PS (when it went out) and I don't want to do that again.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Im taking my PS out soon, so ill letcha know how it goes, but then again i dont drive my car on the street often n i just mostly drag it, but if its a DD a supra is a MUCH too heavy car to go without PS

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Their's a reason that older cars that didn't come with PS have MASSIVE steering wheels. I had to grab the wheels and save a female friend when her PS went out in the middle of a turn. I can tell you. It's a bitch. And that was in a Chevy Lumina. I'd hate to see a car like the Supra. To each his own I suppose. But I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
If you want it tight all the time all you gotta do is unplug a little wire that comes down from the main engine harness into the steering rack right where the steering column connects to the rack. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get to, and the connector clips off downward and back. Your best bet is to get it from underneath the car as it's close to impossible to get it from the top. This gets the steering wheel tight like it is at high speed but maintains it tight throughout the whole speed range, it's really nice and doesn't require nearly as much effort as not having power steering altogether. I've had mine like this since 2002 with no issues... about 30-35k miles

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
OMG... I didn't have the acc belt on when I did my swap 'cause I had no PS tank and didn't want to run without fluid so I left the belt off.

Man you gotta have pipes, and if you don't you will because with NO PS, the steering is so hard. It's unreal. If this is going to be a car that you drive on the street and not just the strip, then forget it. Don't be cheap - buy a PS tank. I wasn't able to find one, so I bought a "JDM OVERFLOW" tank off eBay. I'm going to tap the bottom with an NPT and get a 90deg fitting for the supply line. I will let you know how that works. New tank - $175

ouch.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
you know that without a belt you don't have a water pump or alternator either right? I'm confused.. did you already drive it? didn't your battery die real quick and how did you not overheat??

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
lol....there is a huge difference between manual steering, and PS that goes out.

If you removed the PS and installed a manual gear box than you'd be ok. It wouldnt be the best in the world, totally destroy the handling of the vehicle, but you could drive it around just fine and work out those arms in the process ;)

You can't just remove the PS pump and keep the rack. You would need to remove it all and fab a manual setup and run with it. The PS system requires vacumm and pressure to be able to work the steering rack.

When PS goes out, its much harder than driving a car with manual steering.

Really, for what it's work keep it. I am assuming your trying to remove it to make room for something?

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
I drove it 15 feet to it's garage spot from where it was....

not enough time to overheat, etc.....

if I have no PS pump and my rack is OEM, isn't it the same as what I am describing or was I figting the dead pump?

-M

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
exvelocity said:
I'm with WhiteBlazze, this topic was discussed about a month ago,if you search, you'll find the thread

In his defense the search function hasn't worked worth crap lately. If you search and only use 1 word to search for it works ok. Anything more than 1 word and it always fails or just never comes back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts