Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paint shop who is going to paint my car uses PPG paint and wanted to see what you guys feel about that brand.

·
Banned
770 Posts
PPG is the average paint. It's like a Honda Civic, you'll find it everywhere and it will get the job done. PPG is not bad, but it's not the best quality paint out there.

RM and Dupont are the better paint out there.

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is okay with me because I am getting a hell of a deal on a paint job so as long as the paint is pretty known and doesn't have a bad rep, I am okay with it!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I've used PPG and Dupont and for comparison purposes, I've never seen any difference between the two by either spraying them or just by visualizing them. I've worked at shops that used the best PPG and another shop that used the best Dupont. I cant even think of anything to tell you as being any notable difference.

I've have PPG ("Global" I think) paint on my car and a friend's 95tt complete color-change that I sprayed. The paint has been on my car for several years now and nothings wrong with it except bug marks and chips from hwy mileage ;)

My friend paints cars at a shop that uses RM....I have to say, I do like that stuff from what I can see. I haven't ever used RM on my car and seen it several years down the road though.

Also, I have Sikkens on my targa from about 6yrs back.....again, nothing wrong with that stuff either.

IMO, when you talk brands like these, it's pretty much like comparing apples to apples.....aside from the personal opinion-based smack :)

Now, you want to talk differences.....go out and compare one shop against another that use the same paint. You'll find much more important differences in that regard to your finished product.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Giggs said:
that is okay with me because I am getting a hell of a deal on a paint job so as long as the paint is pretty known and doesn't have a bad rep, I am okay with it!

Which clear are they using? Every paint brand has their own cheap line and more expensive line of products.

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not know and I have already bugged them enough all from them installing lowering springs from just touching upa few spots on my car to painting the whole car to changing colors and then to making a few phone calls asking which paint they are using. I feel if I keep bugging them, they wont be happy and they are already helping me a ton on the price for the amount of work they are doing

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Giggs said:
I do not know and I have already bugged them enough all from them installing lowering springs from just touching upa few spots on my car to painting the whole car to changing colors and then to making a few phone calls asking which paint they are using. I feel if I keep bugging them, they wont be happy and they are already helping me a ton on the price for the amount of work they are doing
Well, if you're a paying customer, you're not bugging them.

And if you're not a 'paying customer' and they're giving you a "great deal" on the paintjob, then be careful with them on what level of service/quality they provide you with. because if they are truly 'giving you' a great deal, then they're notplanning on spending all sorts of time making your car look awesome. Trust me, if they feel that they're financially helping you in a major way, then they'll just make up for it with much less time invested in your car.
The only way this doesn't hold true is when the bodyman and/or painter is your best friend.
Hell, I've even seen a shitty, quick job done on a guy's car at a shop where he was friends with the owner (I know both of them)....because they traded favors......yeah, that car wasn't exactly given any sort of special treatment by any means. It got 1 coat of single stage white paint with dirt particles left in it....no finishing touches what so ever. Put it this way, the car was lucky it was white.

So, pay in full, or beware!

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blkturbo! said:
Well, if you're a paying customer, you're not bugging them.

And if you're not a 'paying customer' and they're giving you a "great deal" on the paintjob, then be careful with them on what level of service/quality they provide you with. because if they are truly 'giving you' a great deal, then they're notplanning on spending all sorts of time making your car look awesome. Trust me, if they feel that they're financially helping you in a major way, then they'll just make up for it with much less time invested in your car.
The only way this doesn't hold true is when the bodyman and/or painter is your best friend.
Hell, I've even seen a shitty, quick job done on a guy's car at a shop where he was friends with the owner (I know both of them)....because they traded favors......yeah, that car wasn't exactly given any sort of special treatment by any means. It got 1 coat of single stage white paint with dirt particles left in it....no finishing touches what so ever. Put it this way, the car was lucky it was white.

So, pay in full, or beware!
They are using my car as a poster car for their adds. Not only that, i never asked for a deal. They offered it and are gauranteeing their work and everything, satisfaction and all

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Ahh, okay then.
Interesting......keep us posted after the job is done and all....

sean

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will and I am going to state right now, I am getting a full color change for $1,400 from red to RSP. Since they gaurantee their work to my satisfaction, it will be done until I love it. I am getting it back here this next week and will be 100% honest on the turn-out!!! I was going to get the whole car painted back to red for $1,100 and they offered a color change for only $300 more. I couldn't refuse seeing how it's gauranteed. I know some people may think I am stupid for this, but if you have seen my 13 year old paint now on my MKIV, you would take the risk too!!

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Giggs said:
I will and I am going to state right now, I am getting a full color change for $1,400 from red to RSP. Since they gaurantee their work to my satisfaction, it will be done until I love it. I am getting it back here this next week and will be 100% honest on the turn-out!!! I was going to get the whole car painted back to red for $1,100 and they offered a color change for only $300 more. I couldn't refuse seeing how it's gauranteed. I know some people may think I am stupid for this, but if you have seen my 13 year old paint now on my MKIV, you would take the risk too!!
wow... thats the lowest respray price ive ever seen in my life... does that include door jambs, underhood, etc? usually color swaps are in the 2500-4000 range

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that includes everything except firewall. Hatch jams, door jams, bumper lines, hood lines, under tailights, under headlights, under turn signals, and under moldings. I will post the turn out and right now I will tell you, it's Kustom Kreations in Arvada, Colorado.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ummm is it just me ... or is your car going to be the new poster car for Uncle Sam?

Going from Red to a Blue (RSP) w/o taking care of those little areas is gonna look pretty goofy.

·
Addiction
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when did I say they weren't taking car of those little areas? They are taking the whole car apart and painting each panel and aren't just masking molding lines, theya re taken them off to get under them.

·
Philly Supras!
5 Posts
PPG is a very large company in the sense of coatings of all kinds. Id trust them. No experience personally with their coatings, but i do know they have an extensive amount of products which would seem to indicate much success

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ppg is good for basecoat. I'd find out what clear theyre using. Thats what makes or breaks the job.
PPG base is fine, but if they plan on using some cheap clear the job will be ruined. Some of the high end clears are almost a quarter of the price that your paying. I dont understand how theyre doing it that cheap unless they got 6 guys on it that theyre paying 6 dollars an hour.
Or unless theyre sending it to maaco and telling you they did it...in that case they may be making 800 heh..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts