Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard TRAC control system controls not only traction, but also timing retard? do does pulling the fuse on TRAC negatively effect anything?
what exactly does pulling TRAC fuse do?

Jonas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
I think you can just unplug your traction control ECU. This will not cause any problems. I have mine unplugged and also have an HKS trackless kit. This gets rid of the blinking trac light also.

hope this helps.

-pete
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does your HKS tracless mode works? is it like those Racelogic and Toyomoto TRac control replacement?
how does it cost?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,970 Posts
Zerosoul,

You have a 6-speed right? There's no problems pulling the trac fuse or installing an HKS ECT-Less Kit (which removes the traction controll throttle plate). The only problem is if you pull the fuse on an Auto, you'll subject it to excessive stress and wear.

However, I have heard of a few problems with people pulling the fuses getting excessive tire wear and damaging thier exhaust with little rubber speckles on all over them. :p
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when the TRAC fuse is pulled, does the its throttle plate stay open at all time? sounds like something I wanna remove...

can I just remove the TRAc throttle plate? would that hurt the car?

how much is the HKS unit to remove TRAC system completely?

thanx!

Jonas
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,970 Posts
Zerosoul said:
when the TRAC fuse is pulled, does the its throttle plate stay open at all time? sounds like something I wanna remove...

can I just remove the TRAc throttle plate? would that hurt the car?

how much is the HKS unit to remove TRAC system completely?

thanx!

Jonas
Yes the throttle plate stays open completely and it does that most of the time when the trac system is working. I will only close to control wheels spin, or during speed cut (or during shifts on an auto).

The HKS kit retails for around $99 and I've heard of some big single cars seeing as much as 30lbs. 0f Torque from getting the restiction out of the way.
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no shit! I'm gonna get me one of those..who need traction control anyway, it just slows you down.;)
Thanx RSA!
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just order it..total comes to $100 shipped, hope its worth it.

I'm smart, I dont race when roads are wet.:D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,970 Posts
Zerosoul said:
just order it..total comes to $100 shipped, hope its worth it.

I'm smart, I dont race when roads are wet.:D
Its practically don't get into any boost at when the roads are wet. I can light my tires up at 80mph in the rain when boost comes on. I drive very carefully though.

Do yourself a favor and get a fresh throttlebody gasket. Your is probably fine (its metal), but its worth the $5-10 to be sure.
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also depends on what kind of tires you have on also...my SP7000 super sport suck like hell, break loose under any condition!

Throttle body gasket? is that for betweeen the throttle body and the intake manifold? do I need to take the throttle body off when I install the HKS unit?

Jonas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
The trackless kit only eliminates the secondary traction control butterfly to create better flow through the throttle body resulting in possible power increase. It would have a similar effect to porting your intake manifold but with less drastic results.

There is a chance you will still get the blinking trac light. If this happens just unplug your entire traction control ECU. This will get rid of the light. I had to do this on my 97. In addition, if you ever run diagnostics you will get a 'soft code' that transalates to the secondary throttle( ie traction control) This will not cause any problems but you need to knwo it is from the elimination of the traction control so you don't spend any time trying to fix a problem that is not there.

Good Luck!

-pete
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,970 Posts
Zerosoul said:
also depends on what kind of tires you have on also...my SP7000 super sport suck like hell, break loose under any condition!

Throttle body gasket? is that for betweeen the throttle body and the intake manifold? do I need to take the throttle body off when I install the HKS unit?

Jonas
Yes, that is the gasket I am talking about. You don't need to take it off, but it will make things a lot easier to undo the 4 nuts and take off the throttle and install the kit on a workbench.
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tony,
you already got 470+RWHP out of your stock twin...still looking for more HP?:D
I didnt order thispart cuz of possible HP gain...I just wanna simplify the system as much as possible, eliminating all un0necessary parts. but if it gains little HP, it wouldnt hurt:eek:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,970 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Does anyone know where to find solid hp numbers on doing this mod?
The only source I've heard of was a car the they had built with a single turbo at Stillen. They didn't see any extra HP, but they did see 30lbs. more torque after they gutted the trac system. The car also laid down 10 ft. skid marks when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (auto). I can't imagine that his stock tranny lasted quite a while at that rate.
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
Zerosoul said:
Tony,
you already got 470+RWHP out of your stock twin...still looking for more HP?:D
I didnt order thispart cuz of possible HP gain...I just wanna simplify the system as much as possible, eliminating all un0necessary parts. but if it gains little HP, it wouldnt hurt:eek:
There is not a such thing as too much horsepower...my goal is to get a 10.99999:) on stock twin turbos without the aid of nitrous. I will need about 20 or so more hp to do it I think but am not sure.
I am also thinking about doing the lightweight flywheel to free up some additional hp but I don't want to have a lot of clutch problems with the sprung hub setup since my non-sprung hub setup lasted so long. Just trying to do everything I can do and see what the max the stock twins will do before I go single.:)
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
RSA Supra said:


The only source I've heard of was a car the they had built with a single turbo at Stillen. They didn't see any extra HP, but they did see 30lbs. more torque after they gutted the trac system. The car also laid down 10 ft. skid marks when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (auto). I can't imagine that his stock tranny lasted quite a while at that rate.
I wonder if there is a dynosheet available for this car?
 

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Trac fuse

So with the Trac fuse pulled on an Auto Supra the fact that the timing isnt retarded between shifts causes problems? How so? Does it cause those sneaky little boost spikes or does it create a lean/ rich condition?

Doesnt the butterfly work for something else besides traction control as well? A Toyota Mechanic I was rapping with one day cliamed that it had multiple functions though I dont remember what.

Any and all information greatly appreciated.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top