Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the grinding while reversing will harm the car. Also, what is that grindng? I get it quite often in my MKIII and there seems to be no way of preventing it.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Try some Redline tranny fluid. If that doesn't help, shift into a forward gear first and then try to shift into reverse.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Yes it is damaging the transmission. That grinding sound is the syncro ring teeth bouncing off of the hub sleeve because they are moving at dramatically different speeds.

Bishop said how to fix it, or overhaul the trans.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
i dont know if its REALLY damaging...EVERY supra has it.......however its easily prevented....just go clutch in/shift into like 4th then into reverse quickly without letting the clutch up........it shouldnt grind then.....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
for the amount that the reverse dog-ring gets used its not a big deal. by the way there are no synchros in the reverse gear, why do you think it grinds, even in low mileage transmissions. just dont come to a hard stop out of 3rd gear and try hammer it into reverse without clutching-out in neutral first.

adam

·
20G Boostin'
1,676 Posts
my auto tranny grinds a bit when cold, in reverse, however my tranny is built and its under warranty. from what they told me, it isnt harmful, its actually the sound of the clutches engaging (triple packed).

on a 5spd, or a stock auto... i would think its a bad thing

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Only after a long warm drive, will the reverse gear grind for me.... every other time, it's getting it into reverse thats the problme.. move forward a little bit in 1st, then slowly slowly into reverse..she plops right on in...

But I will try the 4th to R quickly trick.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
yep, no syncros, thats why it grinds. Doesn't really matter how new it is or not. Usually i pump the clutch twice, then put it in 2nd, then reverse. Most the time no grind, but sometimes I kick the revs up a little bit when shifting into reverse, seems to help..

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I just turn off the car, put it in reverse and start it back up :) j/k but usually I put her back into 4th, then reverse, stops grinding, and the car likes to grind when its colds :( aight peace

G

·
What about if your going down the road at about 35 of more, and you gently press the shifter into reverse to make a neat little grinding noise to fuck with people alongside the road? is that bad?

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
BoostAddctn said:
I just turn off the car, put it in reverse and start it back up :) j/k but usually I put her back into 4th, then reverse, stops grinding, and the car likes to grind when its colds :( aight peace
hahaha, sometimes, like when I am at a drive up food place, I put it in reverse before I start the car, then hold the clutch, start it, reverse outta there, no grinding sounds for everyone to stare at haha :lol:

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
1st, 2nd then reverse I never grind with that method. Probably could skip 1st but it's become part of the routine

·
Registered
361 Posts
fatboy said:
yep, no syncros, thats why it grinds. Doesn't really matter how new it is or not. Usually i pump the clutch twice, then put it in 2nd, then reverse. Most the time no grind, but sometimes I kick the revs up a little bit when shifting into reverse, seems to help..
I thought reverse had the grinding/wiiiiiizzzz sound from being straight cut?

synchros are mainly for gear changes when the input and output shafts are moving

1 - 20 of 21 Posts