Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 94 Supra Turbo and was wondering if the gas light is suppose to turn on at a quarter tank. I had a Lexus SC300 and the gas light would not come on until i hit Empty. Is the Supra's gas tank 20 gallons? or 16 gallons? The needle was at 1/4 tank and the gas light came on so im guessing the gas tank should be 20 gallons. I just want to make sure that when the gas light is on that im not running on fumes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine comes on just above "E" on the few ocassions I let it get that low. The owner's manual suggests filling up at 1/4 tank and I try to do that.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Saw mine come on with 3/16th of a tank left, but I was under the boost pretty hard in 2nd gear. :D So probably 1/8th would be right.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
My gauge sucks. Several times it has "stuck" anywhere from full to 1/2 full until the light comes on simultaneously as the needle becomes "unstuck". I think it's a soilder joint issue or somthing since I can cause the gauge to fall (when it's stuck) when I push against the dash but I'm too busy to dick around with it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it no one has let the needle go below E.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
I take it no one has let the needle go below E.
No one does intentionally because letting the tank get low causes nothing but problems such as the fuel pump overheating and sucking up crap that is sitting at the bottom of the tank, not to mention walking to the nearest gas station after your car dies.

Having said that, I have done it due to the problems I described above, and yes I have seen the needle drop below the E-dash. It was in 5pm traffic on the outerbelt during a rain storm and needless to say I was not happy about it...

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I usually see the gas light go on in the event the car gets to maybe the slot right above the empty mark. I don't see any reason it should light up at 1/4 tank.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i notice that my light will go on very early while if i'm driving on a long road trip. if i do mostly city driving then it will turn on closer to the "e."

i believe the supra gas tank is 18.5 gallons.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have let the needle go below E not by choice but because I was in the middle of nowhere. Turns out when I get to the gas station I still had 8 litres left! I put in 62 litres and the manual says it's a 70 litre tank. The needle was a good ways below empty too. I noticed that when my light comes on at 1/8th tank and I fill it up I still have 15 or so litres left in the tank which is quite a bit. Even 8 litres is a lot to have when your below E.

My needle doesn't seem screwed, it always behaves the same by the way.

·
11,221 Posts
What exactly make the light turn on?

Like what makes the light turn on? Does it turn on when the fuel guage needle gets low? Or does it turn on when the "bougie" (sp?) in the fuel tank feels that the tank is low? (if you ever changed your fuel pump, you'll know what I'm referring to).

Cause my light has never turned on and I was just wondering if it even works.

J

·
0 Posts
isn't it better to get the most out of your gas by driving around a couple miles on E...i mean the way the gas tank is made is retarded...when you hit empty theres still a lot of gas left for you to drive around a bit

·
11,221 Posts
JuSt8UrV8 said:
isn't it better to get the most out of your gas by driving around a couple miles on E...i mean the way the gas tank is made is retarded...when you hit empty theres still a lot of gas left for you to drive around a bit

Huh? How do you get the most out of your gas that way? Whether your tank has 1/4 or 3/4 full has no play in mpg. :dunno:

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
mine lights up at 1/8th tank usually. sometimes a little before, sometimes a little after.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts