Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a male plug for the TRAC-Off switch (1994) that the female 90980-10957 harness plug can plug into. Basically my own version of the TRAC-Off switch.

TRAC-Off harness plug.png

Unfortunately Toyota doesn't list a male counterpart for the female harness plug. But it's a pretty generic-looking plug, so I'm sure that it exists, from Sumitomo or whoever. Just ... where ?

I want to build a harness to put in a Snow-TRAC double switch without cutting up the oem harness.

oem-90980-10957 <<< Sumitomo-male ======= 90980-11535 >>> Snow-TRAC switch

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
I'm looking for a male plug for the TRAC-Off switch (1994) that the female 90980-10957 harness plug can plug into. Basically my own version of the TRAC-Off switch.

View attachment 236765

Unfortunately Toyota doesn't list a male counterpart for the female harness plug. But it's a pretty generic-looking plug, so I'm sure that it exists, from Sumitomo or whoever. Just ... where ?

I want to build a harness to put in a Snow-TRAC double switch without cutting up the oem harness.

oem-90980-10957 <<< Sumitomo-male ======= 90980-11535 >>> Snow-TRAC switch
https://parts.elmhursttoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-housing-connector-f-9098010957

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90980-10957 is the female plug already in the stock harness - that plugs into the TRAC-Off switch. I need the corresponding male end that it can plug into, emulating a TRAC-Off switch.

·
Stock Twins King
4,546 Posts
90980-10957 is the female plug already in the stock harness - that plugs into the TRAC-Off switch. I need the corresponding male end that it can plug into, emulating a TRAC-Off switch.
Ya, Toyota doesn't make a lot the OEM "male" pin, female connectors. As these are usually part of a component. You *might* find one from the Japanese connector places, but highly doubtful. Years ago I was trying to source male pin connector for a Igniter delete and after countless hours of research found this is no such animal.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, frustrating. Especially since Toyota doesn't list the supplier part numbers ... For example, the typical VSV connectors, Toyota only has the female ones on the harness that plug into the VSV itself, no male counterpart available. Yet I was able to find them at corsa-technic.com - going to change from basic hose-and-checkvalve type TTC to ETTC without hacking up the stock harness :)

Same thing for the HKS DLI - I'm using an old igniter as the "male" plugs since only the female 12-pin and 4-pin are available. But this way there's no touching of the stock harness ...

I'm going to experiment with Sugru to see if that can build a male plug housing for the TRAC-Off switch. Put the wired pins into the female plug, wipe soapy water on it, then pack Sugru into and around the pins. The soapy water acts as a release agent, so the Sugru won't bond to the female plug when it cures. Might try wrapping it with alum-foil first as another test.

·
Stock Twins King
4,546 Posts
Yeah, frustrating. Especially since Toyota doesn't list the supplier part numbers ... For example, the typical VSV connectors, Toyota only has the female ones on the harness that plug into the VSV itself, no male counterpart available. Yet I was able to find them at corsa-technic.com - going to change from basic hose-and-checkvalve type TTC to ETTC without hacking up the stock harness

Same thing for the HKS DLI - I'm using an old igniter as the "male" plugs since only the female 12-pin and 4-pin are available. But this way there's no touching of the stock harness ...

I'm going to experiment with Sugru to see if that can build a male plug housing for the TRAC-Off switch. Put the wired pins into the female plug, wipe soapy water on it, then pack Sugru into and around the pins. The soapy water acts as a release agent, so the Sugru won't bond to the female plug when it cures. Might try wrapping it with alum-foil first as another test.

Found this for you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Well shit… I’m wanting to add a button to the dash and didn’t want to splice in to factory wires. Was hoping to create a pigtail type connection that I could use.

Has anyone else had any luck? @Stu Hagen you posted the picture, but can’t really make out what it is, and no context in your post.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
DaTaSPiKe, the button you are adding doesn't require the part that Halfwalker is talking about. You already have the button, which has the "male plug" integrated into its back. You just need the female plug (connector housing), which I referenced in my PM to you. They are readily available from any Toyota dealer (although they might not be in stock, they can order them).

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
DaTaSPiKe, the button you are adding doesn't require the part that Halfwalker is talking about. You already have the button, which has the "male plug" integrated into its back. You just need the female plug (connector housing), which I referenced in my PM to you. They are readily available from any Toyota dealer (although they might not be in stock, they can order them).
No, I know, those parts are on order... the part I was wanting to get a way from was having to splice in to the existing pigtail from the original TRAC OFF button to get the new button to work.

Unless of course, I'm totally missing something?

Thanks as always for the help/guidance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
another alternative to find male/female connector information is to go to:

Once you are there index through the document for the type of connector waterproof/non-waterproof, female/male, and the number of pins.....it's a little laborious but I've had success finding a number of connectors this way.

the connector housing you are looking for may be on page 205.

one additional point: the part numbers listed in this document are for the housings only....you will also need to find, buy, and insert the appropriate pins

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
another alternative to find male/female connector information is to go to:

Once you are there index through the document for the type of connector waterproof/non-waterproof, female/male, and the number of pins.....it's a little laborious but I've had success finding a number of connectors this way.

the connector housing you are looking for may be on page 205.

one additional point: the part numbers listed in this document are for the housings only....you will also need to find, buy, and insert the appropriate pins
@Painter thanks for the suggestion (90980–11099)... not sure if @Halfwalker has already looked at this part, but based on picture, not sure it'll mate properly with 90980-10957, which is the pigtail we're trying to connect to.

This is all of course (for me) to prevent splicing into the preexisting wiring harness for the TRAC OFF button.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
the part I was wanting to get a way from was having to splice in to the existing pigtail from the original TRAC OFF button to get the new button to work.

Unless of course, I'm totally missing something?
I'm sending you a PM.

Reactions: DaTaSPiKe

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take it back ... I did figure out something. It doesn't leave the stock harness completely alone, but you definitely do NOT cut it up, which is the main thing ...

The idea is to Depin the 10957 connector on the harness, removing the 10957 housing, but leaving the pins. Then insert those pins into another different 6-pin connector for which we CAN get a male/female set, in this using 10797/10796. If you get two sets of those, you can build two pigtails, one for the stock Trac OFF switch, and one for the Snow/Trac switch, making it easy to flip between them.

Trac OFF harness connector
90980-10957
2.3 II 12340 pins

Use 90980-10797(Female) with 10796(Male) as pigtail set

Depin harness 10957, insert pins into 10797

So, stock it looks like this
Harness ===== 10957 || Trac OFF switch

Build one pigtail using the original 10957 connector housing
Harness ===== 10797 || 10796 ===== 10957 || Trac OFF switch

Build another pigtail using 11535 (Snow/Trac harness connector housing)
Harness ===== 10797 || 10796 ===== 11535 || Snow/Trac switch

The 10797/10796 connectors use the exact same pins as the 10957/TracOFF connector, so the pins will slip right in. And if you ever want to go back to totally stock, it's easy to just depin and re-insert them into the 10957 housing connector.

·
Game Over
1,274 Posts
^^

This is what I've done for some existing plugs in the engine harness that didn't have an opposing mate, when I needed to hook up aftermarket sensors via the existing spare plugs to avoid running new wires through the car.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, the 12340 2.3 II pins mentioned above are available at Corsa-Tecnic

Way, way cheaper that direct from Toyota

Can use 18ga wire just fine.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
498 Posts
Corsa Technic is a great place to get connectors from.
They are very responsive and very helpful.
I've bought from them too many times to remember.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts