Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few changes recently , went to Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas a few months ago and a beautiful 94 Black TT,6spd with 28k miles couldn't break $77k. then I saw a bring a trailer auction do the same thing.
Yesterday Hagerty came out with one of there many lists of top 25 collectible cars for the season and the MK4 didn't even make the list, RX-7 FD took the top prize! Does anyone else notice a regression from the over 100k cars from last year? Im keeping my 97 TT 6spd no matter what the market does but it was nice being the most popular kid at school while it lasts! lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont really pay attention to those things, its like an added benefit imo. But if thats the case I would have to think it would be the lack of support from Toyota, cough Heritage Program cough. I know sometimes I've thought over how much it will cost to upkeep my Supra down the road with parts being discontinued every day, so I imagine its something some buyers factor in. But Im not in tune with these things. Im just a kid who luckily bought his in 2010.

Still doesnt change the car is a masterpiece and will continue to become even more rare with each passing day. Perhaps its price peak and the market has settled who knows.

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
I noticed a few changes recently , went to Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas a few months ago and a beautiful 94 Black TT,6spd with 28k miles couldn't break $77k. then I saw a bring a trailer auction do the same thing.
Yesterday Hagerty came out with one of there many lists of top 25 collectible cars for the season and the MK4 didn't even make the list, RX-7 FD took the top prize! Does anyone else notice a regression from the over 100k cars from last year? Im keeping my 97 TT 6spd no matter what the market does but it was nice being the most popular kid at school while it lasts! lol
Read the explanation where Hagerty's list came from. It is useless.
The market is still strong - there are not many good examples to be had and most of them are not being offered.
Does not matter to me - I will never sell mine - My wife and kids will have to decide what to do with it when I am gone (but I know quite well what my son has in mind - and it will most likely not be for sale)

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's winter time... it will pick back up in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I believe the high 6 digit cars, particularly that black/tan TT 6-spd targa, were a value bubble and the market's since corrected itself. For properly desirable Supras that are truly special (100% showroom condition original paint RSP TT's, TT 6-spd USDM Hardtops, etc) values will stay high simply because the JZA80 is legend and those are arguably the finest examples of a legend. That tends to secure their values in the long run.

That said, I'm happy to see the market correct itself from the 6-digit land. I want to see the values of the JZA80 preserved- but I want them to stay enthusiast cars too, and not become the next car d'jure for well-heeled collectors that aren't actually Supra enthusiasts.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
3,937 Posts
Keep in mind that these cars are really old now and getting financing for the 18 year olds that live in moms basement is becoming non existent. It’s easier to finance a new 77k car with better rates. Plus if someone had 77k cash laying around, buying a car seems silly when you can pay off your mortgage or pay for your kids college. But if you’re super rich and don’t care, well there’s cars out there for you.

R.K.

·
Registered
331 Posts
For properly desirable Supras that are truly special (100% showroom condition original paint RSP TT's, TT 6-spd USDM Hardtops, etc) values will stay high simply because the JZA80 is legend and those are arguably the finest examples of a legend.
Has anything close to that been up for sale yet? Most of what I've seen has been sort of clean common examples with high miles but despite that they've brought quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What goes up fast always comes down fast too; has gone down and will to continue to go down. It will settle and stabilize.

Not to say it will ever become cheap.

There is a very large number of premium cars also coming off lease in the industry in the next 24 months which will drive used car prices down and slow down new car sales quite a bit; will be interesting to watch. My personal prediction is the new asset bubble isn't housing like the last recession, it's autos that people have overlevereged themselves to buy with 6yr to 7yr loan terms. Previously people used to do only 2-3 year car loans.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
3,937 Posts
What goes up fast always comes down fast too; has gone down and will to continue to go down. It will settle and stabilize.

Not to say it will ever become cheap.

There is a very large number of premium cars also coming off lease in the industry in the next 24 months which will drive used car prices down and slow down new car sales quite a bit; will be interesting to watch. My personal prediction is the new asset bubble isn't housing like the last recession, it's autos that people have overlevereged themselves to buy with 6yr to 7yr loan terms. Previously people used to do only 2-3 year car loans.
Yes but in the past vehicles were a lot cheaper. Now you can't buy anything decent under 30K.

R.K.

·
Registered
244 Posts
^ 100% agree.

Just saying that people are overleveraging themselves into buying cars with multi year car payments. I blame social media which has exacerbated the whole "keeping up with the Jones" concept even more.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Just saying that people are overleveraging themselves into buying cars with multi year car payments. I blame social media which has exacerbated the whole "keeping up with the Jones" concept even more.
John Oliver did a bit a few years back detailing this very issue. It's the sub-prime mortgage game, all over again, literally the same setup, and likely the same end result. Difference is, if you set aside some money now, you'll be able to get some sweet cars for dirt cheap (much like 10, 11 years ago), but probably won't be able to pick up that second home for the price of a new Corolla.

Stock market bubble, savings & loans bubble, dot com bubble, housing bubble, now the auto bubble... man I've seen a lot of things go belly up in my time...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts