Supra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I have not noticed the market softening yet in my area. Frankly I want the prices to come down a bit. I want another roller to put together as a street car, but would never pay today's prices as I don't think they are justified. It is mind boggling what people are selling the "undesirable" NA cars for these days. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but I remember in 2013 when I was looking for my first supra thinking people were insane for paying 10k for a roller or 13k for an NA auto car. Today the same rollers go for 15k and the decent NA auto cars are in the 20's.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I have not noticed the market softening yet in my area. Frankly I want the prices to come down a bit. I want another roller to put together as a street car, but would never pay today's prices as I don't think they are justified. It is mind boggling what people are selling the "undesirable" NA cars for these days. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but I remember in 2013 when I was looking for my first supra thinking people were insane for paying 10k for a roller or 13k for an NA auto car. Today the same rollers go for 15k and the decent NA auto cars are in the 20's.
I wouldn't mind an NA in the 20s haha. I think even $30-40k for an NA is not bad, depending on the condition. Kind of like [email protected] car above.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
Although many of us follow the general market and watch pricing trends, it's hard to predict actual results, and that goes even more so for BaT and major auction houses. I definitely agree the day that black 94 TT 6MT went for over $170k at Amelia Island it was just a moment of "I have more money than you" which greatly benefited the seller on that day. That was far from a normal outcome and we all know it, despite it being a fun stat to pass around to show the power of the JZA80 Supra on the collector market. For the ultra desirable rare color 1998 cars we are more accustomed to seeing 6 figure price points, unless you see a truly low mileage and original 6MT, meaning any year can punch through that barrier.

The market that confuses me more often than the 'high end' market is actually the average TT market where LHD and RHD cars both sit. There are some truly oddball results from time to time, and it's interesting to me that anyone would pay so 'much' for a RHD car when LHD cars are available (in a LHD driving market obviously). I am more entertained with the low end NA and RHD market than the high end market, where we all know that it's harder for make a sale unless a very specific person is looking at the time when the car is available. We all know that nearly all high end Supra owners either own multiple examples or are former Supra owners...much less likely for a brand new owner to be spending that kind of money to get into the game for the first time.

It's also very important to understand that many Supras sell without being offered publicly. I've personally helped broker a few of those deals as we know people who are selling and buying quietly, but these are usually very specific types of cars at higher price points. Let's see what the 2020 market has to bring, but it will be fun to watch no matter what. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The market that confuses me more often than the 'high end' market is actually the average TT market where LHD and RHD cars both sit. There are some truly oddball results from time to time, and it's interesting to me that anyone would pay so 'much' for a RHD car when LHD cars are available (in a LHD driving market obviously). I am more entertained with the low end NA and RHD market than the high end market, where we all know that it's harder for make a sale unless a very specific person is looking at the time when the car is available. We all know that nearly all high end Supra owners either own multiple examples or are former Supra owners...much less likely for a brand new owner to be spending that kind of money to get into the game for the first time.
Most JDM cars are low mileage, and a lot of them have rarer, period correct, parts.
Not so sure about the Supra, but a lot of Japanese market cars had optional or even standard parts from the dealer that weren't available to the USDM market. Same can be said about the UK/Euro cars (they had glass headlights).
For example, I have a JDM CRX. It is equiped with a glass roof, electronic windows, AC/PS, leather seats, rear seat, DOHC VTEC engine, etc. None of that was offered to the USDM market.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
Most JDM cars are low mileage, and a lot of them have rarer, period correct, parts.
Not so sure about the Supra, but a lot of Japanese market cars had optional or even standard parts from the dealer that weren't available to the USDM market. Same can be said about the UK/Euro cars (they had glass headlights)...
You're not wrong, but the days of cheap JDM Supras is long gone. They are nearly in line with USDM pricing even now, just a couple years after the 25 year rule kicked in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Supra and NSX have both kept their value in most markets. Most of the 'cheap JDM' cars were grey FL cars that would have issues outside of the state with registration.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
it's autos that people have overlevereged themselves to buy with 6yr to 7yr loan terms. Previously people used to do only 2-3 year car loans.
When did people do 2-3 yr loans, the 80's? The last "new" car I bought was in 1991, and even then it was a 4-yr loan.

Al

·
Registered
946 Posts
When did people do 2-3 yr loans, the 80's? The last "new" car I bought was in 1991, and even then it was a 4-yr loan.

Al
Depends on the car Al. Used, easy if you're smart about it. New? Depends on what you're buying, and your personal situation. My wife is in a good job and has relatively few bills, so she could pull it of if she wanted to, but she has a Mk4 to pay off, and her daily cars are still doing well...

As for me, I really hate car payments, so... I only buy used if I can afford even that.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts