Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
en hopup veritas
165 Posts
if you mean free-wheeling, as in the valves will not hit the pistons if the t-belt breaks, then yes, it is a free-wheeler.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
damn civil rights engines.

·
FAITH
604 Posts
What's the horsepower and tourqe output of this engine?

I just dumped my 97 and got an 02 and I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
The 3.4 is pretty weak to be honest. It's solid and won't let you down but it's no speed demon.

My 4.0 however is a beast in my '05 Tacoma. :)

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
The 3.4 is pretty weak to be honest. It's solid and won't let you down but it's no speed demon.

Depends what it's in actually. Loaded down in a 4Runner, and/or with an auto trans it is definetly nothing special.

However, in my 5 speed 98 Taco, it's actually quicker than I'd remembered and definetly has enough jam to get you around without troubles. I want to run it against a 4L and see how the old girl stacks up :D

My 2000 automatic 4R, however, was perdy shlow.

Oh and ya....non-interferance for sure.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My friend has an '00 3.4 with the TRD Supercharger. It will spin the tires when u stomp it rolling at 10 mph. That engine has MUCH potential.

He delivers pizza in it.

5VZ-FZE now

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Definetly.....I stole a lifted 2001 4x4 5spd for a spin.....it had the TRD S/C, full exhaust, headers, FIPK type box, centerforce clutch, etc, and that truck went like a raped ape even on 33" tires.

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
There is a shop about 30 miles east of me, F2uning is the name, and they specialize in high-hp 3.4L V6 Taco's and 4runners. They just built a 1000whp 4runner last year and have a few 800hp, 600hp, and 400hp 4runners and Tacoma's under their belt!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
The stock 3.4 is a good starting point for some serious modifying. 4 bolt mains, iron block, 4 cams... Toyota doesn't mess around when they develop truck engines.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Just wait until TRD releases the S/C for the 1GRFE. :D

·
Secret Squirrel Shit
108 Posts
Jim Swantko said:

The 3.4 Tacos are faster than the 4.0 Tacos...I should know I own both.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Texacoma said:
The 3.4 Tacos are faster than the 4.0 Tacos...I should know I own both.
How do you figure?
------------------------------------------
2003 doublecab 2WD V6 -

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/23347/Act/Roadtest/

"Tacoma's 4-cyl engines are acceptable for light-duty work, but the V6 is the best choice for any model. Test 2WD V6/automatic PreRunner Double Cab did 0-60 mph in a respectable 9.7 sec."
--------------------------------------------
2005 doublecab 4WD V6

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/models/toyota/tacoma/model-overview-4255-5045.htm - not sure if that will work since you need to be a subscriber.

"0-60 7.6 Seconds"

And that's comparing the heavier 4WD '06 to the 2WD old truck. You may need to get your G-tech out and do a re-test.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts