Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it appears that despite our fondest wishes, there will be no Supra, or if there is, no 2JZ/xxJZ, do you think that the VQ will be the next import mega-power plant? I understand that it is relatively weak in stock configuration because of the open deck and such, but there seems to be a lot of mods available and George I(formerly of bullish) has apparently made a lot of power with the racing builds...
Discuss:)

Reactions: Mr. Wob

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
i dont think it will necessarily in the sense that it will be the ONE. Stock form, as you said its meh @ best towards FI and as Dave Capone witness with his and several others it responds like a deaf 80yr man to I/H/E type mods.

Like any motor, with strengthening and replacement of weak parts you can build a stout motor, but essentially we are talking about just a short block then. I think its a good motor for some and I'm sure we will see more and more people building them and running them, but keep in mind that we are also going to be building what we are provided with. If Nissan/Infiniti keeps putting in their cars, "if they build it, they will come". u smell me?

WE are being introduced with a lot of new engine management to keep these high output motors emissions legal and runnign correctly, and unfortunately not everyone is suitable to tune them. There are some great motors out there that have yet to be capitlaized off of because some are still trying to get the engine management to work well in conjunction with well priced mods.

i think the VQ will be a good tuner motor for some, but again not the ONE. there are few new motors coming out for 06 and 07 i am very interested in and I think will soon overshadow the VQ.

That being said... I still would sweat a properly built G35. :yum:

Reactions: Joe89 and briguy453

·
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+1 to the Wobmeister for good answer:D
What are the motors we should be looking out for?

Reactions: RL82

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
The VQ will never be the "one" when it comes to street cars. Who care's what it can do with infinite amounts of money dumped into it. Right off the bat it's a weak motor.. well it is IMO. :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I think among many car executives wishing for the perfect V6 to have in their corporate powertrain lineup, the VQ is the one. Among street-tuning, the verdict has yet to be seen with lots of good points made above my post. The consolation is that with a good deal of volume, there stands a chance for a huge aftermarket presence that will make a name for the VQ in the same manner the aftermarket led the Honda-tuning movement.

·
6,137 Posts
I think we are goign to see a surge in Civics again with the release of the new Si, which I heard will be aimed at the tuning crowd yet again. Although it wont be the most potent motor, I think it will suprise many.

i dont think we should under estimate the domestic crowd right now either. We have a new version in Ls"x" series, Dodge is pumping out some outrageous engines right now and Ford may suprise a person or two with the new Mustang. ALso, the new Solstice/Sky platform is begging for tuners so I think we will see what those motors are capable of fairly quickly.

Also i don think we are goign to see the massive crowds wanting one motor that we saw for a few years. the ITR engine for example. it was the top of the line of a series that bolt into damn near every honda. Lego style. Now we have the same engine or engines with minor varations going into every car in the manufacs lineup. Obviously this doesnt apply to all, but some of these types that were big sellers are gone. It was a wonderful thing back in the day buying a Malibu with a 6cyl and cramming a 454 in as a damn near bolt in.

I think also I believe its the 2GR-FE - the new GS motor will be able to handle some great power and although it wont be a 2JZ or as popular swap as a ITR it will be up for a beating. All alumnium heads and block IIRC and a short stroke high revving design - i think we could see some fast sedans.

·
6,137 Posts
STAGED said:
I think among many car executives wishing for the perfect V6 to have in their corporate powertrain lineup, the VQ is the one. Among street-tuning, the verdict has yet to be seen with lots of good points made above my post. The consolation is that with a good deal of volume, there stands a chance for a huge aftermarket presence that will make a name for the VQ in the same manner the aftermarket led the Honda-tuning movement.
I agree that is it a great motor for Nissan's lineup and a great cost saving motor as well. If nissan keeps putting it in everything too, aftermarket will be forced to cope as there are loads of loyalists. It has a chance of being top 3 being optimistic, however, i dont think number one. All the support in the world still wont help the low-cost low intelligence crowd that just wants to bolt on a turbo and go retarded fast. A lot more consideration needs to go into it, and too many people are ignorant to that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's a pretty nice engine. But I think it's developement is fueled by the fact that this engine is powering alot of Nissans/Infinitis. So if you do VQ35 mods, some of it can be applied to alot of models. Let's say it was only offered in the maxima. No one would touch this engine with a 10ft pole.

But take the SupraTT engine. Only offered in the one model in the usa. The SupraTT. But there is quite a bit of products for this engine. Because it's in the Supra but also becasue it's one stout and very modable powerplant as well.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
The new civic/integra/rsx powertrain is already here.....the K series from honda...those motors are BULLETPROOF. So much better and refined than the old B series..

back on topic though. The VQ series of motor is strong..to an extent. Its by far the strongest aluminum block production motor to date. The AEBS drag 350 is hitting 1800hp with a sleeved block.....and its aluminum

Though 8lbs of boost on the stock 350z turbo kit from greddy and you can kiss your VQ goodbuy...

they are nothing like the VG powerplants in the old maxima's and Z32's....those are just as strong as the JZ motors from toyota...and are overshawdowed due to the stupid people saying "they are hard to work on" which is a crock of crap talk.

But tuners ARE making progress with the new series of Nissan motors....

-Jonathan

·
5,059 Posts
HAHAHA, do you even own one? :blah: :stickpoke
The car is a bitch to work on if you don't have a lift, your an idiot if you think otherwise.

The stock block is good NA, but very very bad with any form of FI. Hence why I'm going back to the supra :bigthumb:

simann said:
due to the stupid people saying "they are hard to work on" which is a crock of crap talk.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Actually I do, sort of.

My brother has a 93' na hardtop ( non t top) 2 seater. soon to have ELECTRIC hicas with yaw rate feedback from a R33 GTR ( idea was sparked due to his unfortunant accident into a curb hydroplaned and the car kicked out so quick he couldnt recover) . And also soon to be TT. :)

We know Z32's in and out. Easy to work on. People just are lazy and talk BS all day.

-Jonathan

EDIT: here is his thread.
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70832&highlight=acemann

He ordered the COMPLETE wiring harness and ECU from the R33 from australia...its in cali right now and just went through customs.

He also ordered an S13/14 electric hicas actuator unit in NEW condition....same part # as Skyline GTR electric actuator and Z32 96+ hicas actuator.

It will be the first Z32 in the states with all wheel steering AND Yaw rate feedback control ( like the GTR system).

Reactions: RL82

·
That bearded guy
549 Posts
The VQ35DE is NA to begin with. They barely respond to NA mods. And going turbo on the VQ is not cheap. Plus they can barely handle boost unless you seriously rebuild the whole motor wich will just cost insanly much, so it's not worth it. Let's just hope Nissan releases a high performance turbo engine (2007 GT-R maybe if it ever gets produced) in the future.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
electrikoptik said:
The VQ35DE is NA to begin with. They barely respond to NA mods. And going turbo on the VQ is not cheap. Plus they can barely handle boost unless you seriously rebuild the whole motor wich will just cost insanly much, so it's not worth it. Let's just hope Nissan releases a high performance turbo engine (2007 GT-R maybe if it ever gets produced) in the future.

......and what do they run in the JGTC 350Z cars?

"barely respond to N/A mods".....crock of crap quote.
Crawford has a 340whp 350z in nashville.....My father is running around 320WHP in his roadster.....some people will say thats not much.....but it hits HARD when you press the gas. Great for backroads...you just GO. no tire spinning or lag.

Tommy Kaira is running around 400hp out of their N/A VQ35. ITB's and all. Esprit is around 380hp right now without ITB's.

check your sources before posting bull. :rolleyes:

They already have a QR25DET over in japan in the works for the new nissan hatch back ( battling the SCION's here in the states) named the Azeal i believe.

-Jonathan

·
5,059 Posts
haha seriously, I sold all my NA mods off my car except for my exhaust. They did nothing but hurt the performance of the car.

I was thinking about getting one of the many turbokits out there, but no matter what on the stock block it won't be reliable. Sure if you build the motor the car would be a monster but then we are talking some big money. Not to mention who knows how the transmission will do :dunno:

well you know what they say, you gotta pay to play :sadwavey:

electrikoptik said:
The VQ35DE is NA to begin with. They barely respond to NA mods.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
....annnndd you build the motor in the supra too.........

you have a lame point. I doubt whatever mod you did to your Z/g35 coupe' was a FUNCTIONAL mod....give that you already stated that "they are hard to work on".....

-Jonathan

·
shotaro kaneda
2,048 Posts
i think the 4G63's days are numbered. it's been around quite some time and mitsubishi has been talking of replacements the last few years and even going so far as to say they should build a hybrid 4 cylinder for future evos. there really isn't "a next big import engine", besides maybe the K series hondas.

most engines aren't built for boost, everyone is going NA.
- the VQ won't hold power
- the renesis is a pain in the ass to turbo and we've yet to see how well it holds power
- the EJ25 has seen 500+ awhp stock block but being based on old technology i wouldn't call it new and i wouldn't expect it to be around much longer
- the C32B is much the same except it's expensive to turbocharge and expensive to rebuild if something goes wrong
- the 4UZ-FE responds okay to boost but that's on it's way out and it's not in any performance car to begin with
- i doubt the mazdaspeed mazda 6 will withstand much boost
- the mazdaspeed turbo mx-6 is a joke

and there's still the proposition of the next generation SR20DET, the "SR20VET" or whatever they choose to call it. the silvia platform will be resurrected and i don't doubt that it will be turbocharged. also, mazda has been rumored to be building a 4th generation RX-7 on the RX-8 platform and as electricoptik mentioned, the 2007 GT-R. who knows what's around the corner. :dunno:

but for now - there is no big import engine.

·
5,059 Posts
No, not for what I'm looking for

simann said:
....annnndd you build the motor in the supra too.........
350z Intake Pipe
JWT Pop-Charger
AAM Plenum Spacer
UT Y-Pipe
Fujitsubo Exhaust

simann said:
....you have a lame point. I doubt whatever mod you did to your Z/g35 coupe' was a FUNCTIONAL mod....give that you already stated that "they are hard to work on".....
For extensive mods where the stock headers have to be removed that is a bitch to do, and you CANNOT deny that

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
it takes 4 hours ( with a lift ) to put on crawford headers....Me, my brother and I watched crawford put on the plenum, grounding kit, headers, full Nismo exhaust/y pipe, Technosquare ECU, cams, valvesprings.....yeah...the works

The SR20VET is old news...came in the SUV in japan....funny it never went into a car.....a friend of mine around town has a Infinity G20 with the VET motor....SUPER fast car.

But like i said, they are already working on the QR25DET motor....as many of you may (not) know the QR25 is the motor for the Sentra SER and base motor in the Altima....the first gen qr's had rod bearing failures due to nissan's crappy thrust bearings and main cap bearings....they didnt intend kids to put on a 100 shot nitrous or turbo....or just run low on oil ( they had bad oiling systems)...

but nissan has revised the QR's weaknesses for the new QR25DET.....its going to be a beast....2.5ltr turbo 4......it will blow the SRT-4 out of the water.

-Jonathan

1 - 20 of 219 Posts