Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to buy a 3.266 differential from a GS400. Read it has to be from a 98 and newer. Also read that 98-00 SC400 has the same gearing. I have a CD009 in my supra with the stock auto TT 3.76 rear end. I would like to remove my LSD and put it into the 3.26 differential. Is there a how to write up on this? I have never attempted anything involving removing rear differential components before.

·
Registered
790 Posts
They only made the GS400 from 98 to 2000 and any year will work. Just follow the Toyota repair manual it has all the info you'll need.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Want to buy a 3.266 differential from a GS400. Read it has to be from a 98 and newer. Also read that 98-00 SC400 has the same gearing. I have a CD009 in my supra with the stock auto TT 3.76 rear end. I would like to remove my LSD and put it into the 3.26 differential. Is there a how to write up on this? I have never attempted anything involving removing rear differential components before.
How do you like the CD009? Also, did you do the install and how difficult was it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love it. I bought the entire Collins kit with stage 4 clutch and it went it like a breeze. Used the automatic supra bell housing. And yes did everything myself with a friend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love it. I bought the entire Collins kit with stage 4 clutch and it went it like a breeze. Used the automatic supra bell housing. And yes did everything myself with a friend.
Hi there, bit of a thread revival - but I wondered how the cd009 was with auto diff? I'm looking to do the same but wondered if I could drive it with an auto diff short term.

Also how did you wire the reverse lights and speed sensor?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
Hi there, bit of a thread revival - but I wondered how the cd009 was with auto diff? I'm looking to do the same but wondered if I could drive it with an auto diff short term.

Also how did you wire the reverse lights and speed sensor?

Thanks
Reverse lights are pretty simple, just two wires that are switched to ground when it's put in R, you can splice them easily enough. Speed sensor is digital but with the Nissan output, use a Dakota Digital speedo signal converter to get it right for your cluster, it'll take some trial and error to get the calibration right but it'll work.
CD009 with a 3.73:1 or numerically higher diff is way too short unless you're road racing on a stupid tight technical track and you'll never want to cruise on the highway faster than 60-65mph or so. Even with a 28in tire height the gearing sucks.
I wouldn't try pairing it with anything shorter than the factory Z ratio, which is around 3.54:1 IIRC. Once 350/370Z guys get to 450+ they're usually looking for a taller diff too, which was easily available because the auto trans Z33's had a taller 3.3:1-ish diff, opposite of the Supra in that regard.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Since we are on the topic of installing LSDs into open diffs. Is it mandatory to rebuild the differential when installing a lsd? I assume so due to the new bearings that are pressed on the lsd and it throwing off the backlash.

Have a 3.2 open and looking to install a os giken this season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts