Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a way to tell turbo and na cars via vin, but how about originality of 6spd? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Driver's door tag will say A340 for auto cars and V160 for six-speed cars.

Ken.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing find! You guys are so smart. Let me go look now. Ty Kenhenderson!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are like Supra Encyclopedia. Good to be in a strong community with wealth of knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Glad to help. Best of luck.

Ken.

·
Single and Bangin
543 Posts
Tranny cross member on a 6 speed won't work on a Auto so most auto to 6 speed swap will reuse the auto crossmember. I believe this is the only part thats specific to 6 speed cars.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another nice find. Let me shove my big head under car, if it fits :)
This will be a tough one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
On Japanese models,it will also be located on the "vin" Tag. Where it says Model, the top line, will read something like:

GF-JZA80-ALFQV

With GF being the country code, JZA80 meaning MKIV supra, A meaning supra again, L meaning lift back(hardtop), and F meaning 6 speed. Q in this case was the Trim level of RZ, and V was Twin Turbo GTE motor.

On JDM's the third letter could be either
F= 6 speed
M= 5 speed
P= 4 speed auto

Perhaps there is something similar for the US spec cars? Someone else can probably chime in or correct me.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
I checked the vin decoder we use in our insurance software and didn't find anything on transmission in the first 10 digits for us spec vins. The remaining 7 are usually manufacturer specific and I'm certain the code is in there somewhere but I don't know which digit it is. I'll pull the full spec when I'm in the office Monday and reply if nobody has posted a definitive answer for us spec vins.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,368 Posts
Tranny cross member on a 6 speed won't work on a Auto so most auto to 6 speed swap will reuse the auto crossmember. I believe this is the only part thats specific to 6 speed cars.
Not sure if this is correct. I used the 6spd crossmember that came with my V160 for my swapped car and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
6 speed transmission cross member would work if you have an Auto TT car ... but not an Auto NA car

Not sure if this is correct. I used the 6spd crossmember that came with my V160 for my swapped car and it worked fine.
if your car was originally auto TT then it is same with the 6 speed that is why you were able to use it.

Came to know this in one of my first MKIVs where we did a swap from Auto to 6 speed.

The auto tt and 6 speed tt transmission cross member are the same.
The NA auto and NA 5 speed transmission cross member are the same.
The transmission mounts are all different though .
Got that info from Curt Aigner when the swap was being done.

Here are the part numbers :
12371-46090 Na 5 Speed Rubber Trans Mount
12371-46020 Na Auto Rubber Trans Mount
12371-46110 Tt 6 Speed Rubber Trans Mount
12371-46120 Tt Auto Rubber Trans Mount

57255-14231 Aluminum Crossmember Tt Auto And Tt 6 Speed
57255-24061 Aluminum Crossmember Na Auto And Na 5 Speed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts