Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says. Has anyone found a rim that allows the use of the big 15"BFGs while still maintaining the stock TT brakes? After this winter I'm gonna need some better traction than my 17"BFGs but I'm too scared and broke to move up to ET streets.

I assume I will have to roll or trim the fenders right?

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Chucky Doll said:
They won't clear the rear breaks. You have to down size to the n/a ones. Even with spacers it simply won't clear.
To those that have done the NA (rear) brake swap: Is there a big reduction in braking power? Slowing down from 130+mph I don't want to have my brakes fade...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. Also, will the fender need to be cut to run that size tire even if the rim fits? With a custom 15" wheel, would it be possible to run the stock brakes or are they just way too big no matter what the offset.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. Also, will the fender need to be cut to run that size tire even if the rim fits? With a custom 15" wheel, would it be possible to run the stock brakes or are they just way too big no matter what the offset.
yes it will need to be trimmed/rolled.

vnt ;)

·
10 Second Club
204 Posts
The 15" BFGs are supposed to wrinkle like bias plys.

If they do, they probably aren't any more stable than ET streets.

Running skinnies up front would be a good idea either way.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Stop asking this common sense question. Chucky already answered you! :) :)

LOL, for what it's worth - custom *16"* rear wheels won't even clear the rear calipers without either a spacer or grinding down the caliper, muchless 15s. Even 15s need spacers and grinding sometimes on the rear NA calipers.

Trimming the fender lip depends on what width tire/wheel you will be running, not just being 15".

If you're worried about the brakes and running bias ply in the rear, your best option is to run 17x11s with 315/35/17 BFGs. That's the best radial traction you can get with the stock brakes.
-IF only they made a 315/40/16 BFG!-
295 or 305 or even 315/45/16 would be nice too. *Higher OD!* ALL on stock brakes and suspension! But one can only dream that BFG can one day hire competent marketing people. Then again, this is the same company that makes colored tread tires.

John H

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John H said:

LOL, for what it's worth - custom *16"* rear wheels won't even clear the rear calipers without either a spacer or grinding down the caliper, muchless 15s. Even 15s need spacers and grinding sometimes on the rear NA calipers.

Trimming the fender lip depends on what width tire/wheel you will be running, not just being 15".

If you're worried about the brakes and running bias ply in the rear, your best option is to run 17x11s with 315/35/17 BFGs. That's the best radial traction you can get with the stock brakes.
-IF only they made a 315/40/16 BFG!-
295 or 305 or even 315/45/16 would be nice too. *Higher OD!* ALL on stock brakes and suspension! But one can only dream that BFG can one day hire competent marketing people. Then again, this is the same company that makes colored tread tires.

John H
I don't understand what's silly about the question. I was under the impression that overall wheel diameter was just one of many factors that mattered when trying to fit a wheel. Are there any other factors beside wheel diameter and offset that allow a wheel to fit over a caliper?

Also, I'm no wheel expert but I don't understand where spacers come in unless your offset isn't optimal. As for the tire, I think people know what size I am refering to when I say "big 15inch BFG". They make the 325/50/15 that all the fast guys run.

The 315/35/17 sounds decent but I doubt it will make much of a difference. I will be giving up 5mm of sidewall for 40mm of width... not much of an improvement I would assume. Have you used the 275/40/17 and the 315/35/17? What did you think of each? Is it worth spending the money to switch?

TRDdemon, why do you say that they wrinkle like ET streets? I know they have a pretty big sidewall but they are still radials. I was also under the impression that one reason for the instability with ET streets and no skinnies was the combination of bias ply and radials. Wouldn't running a bias ply skinnie with a drag radial cause a similar problem?
Thanks for the input guys. :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
John H said:

<snip>
John H
Umm, I've run 16inch Bogarts on my car - stock brakes. They lightly touched in a spot about a 1/4inch long on one edge. We didn't even notice until we went to pull them off and we free spun them first.

I'm about to run 16inch RX7 wheels with ETs on my car for my next outing (thanks Val!) and the previous owner didn't have to grind the brakes down. I hope the RX7 wheels fit as well on my car, might test fit one this weekend.

Judging from that, in particular what I saw with the Bogarts, I'd say it IS possible to run stock brakes with 16inch wheels if they're sized correctly. I do not think 15s will work since 16s are so close. I'm considering some BFGs on my 17inch wheels too, I daily drive on 17inch 555Rs (until Winter weather) but the BFGs would be stickier.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
VeilsideTT said:

The 315/35/17 sounds decent but I doubt it will make much of a difference. I will be giving up 5mm of sidewall for 40mm of width... not much of an improvement I would assume. Have you used the 275/40/17 and the 315/35/17? What did you think of each? Is it worth spending the money to switch?

315/35 & 275/40 actually have the same *actual* sidewall - the only difference is the aspect ratio ;)

You could always try the 305/45/18 Drag Radial - designed for the Ford Lightning. Plenty of width and sidewall :D Only problem is it'll be ~3" larger in overall diameter!!

·
10 Second Club
204 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
TRDdemon, why do you say that they wrinkle like ET streets? I know they have a pretty big sidewall but they are still radials. I was also under the impression that one reason for the instability with ET streets and no skinnies was the combination of bias ply and radials. Wouldn't running a bias ply skinnie with a drag radial cause a similar problem?
Thanks for the input guys. :)

The 15" BFGs do wrinkle.

The people running the 15" BFGs are mainly running them to be class legal, not for any added stability or traction.

If you're just at the track for fun, stick with 16" ET streets, the sidewalls are softer and absorb more shock, which is easier on your drivetrain.

You also don't necesarily have to run a bias-ply skinny, radial skinnies are available in 15", not too sure about 16".

If you're going to run a 15" DR, it won't be the 325/50/15 unless you raise the rear with coilovers. Even the 275/50/15s look huge on the car and unless you have the perfect backspacing, won't fit without some fender modification.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Philly Single said:
315/35 & 275/40 actually have the same *actual* sidewall - the only difference is the aspect ratio ;)
:doh: Forgot about that Jay. So has anyone had experience with the 315s and the 275s on a 17" rim?

TRDemon, do the radial skinnies provide the same amount of stability as the bias ply? Maybe I should stop being a little girl and give the ET streets a try...

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
:doh: Forgot about that Jay. So has anyone had experience with the 315s and the 275s on a 17" rim?

TRDemon, do the radial skinnies provide the same amount of stability as the bias ply? Maybe I should stop being a little girl and give the ET streets a try...
Bump...How about any one with widened stock wheels (for added contact surface) with the 315/35/17 BFGs?? What kind of 60's are you netting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts