Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Toyota MasterTech
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there such a thing as heating the tires up too much when drag racing? it seems like i get better 60' times with my smaller burnouts then i do with my larger burnouts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Heating your tires up will increase the air pressure which can effect your grip/ 60'.

John

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
im sure you know already, but your not supposed to heat up street tires

But im not suer about a DR or slick though. I dont guess you can heat them upo to much, but 5-10 seconds is PLENTY.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think you can heat them up to much as they will get overly soft and gummy from to long a burnout. I have had some old timers tell me this, I ofcourse am not an old timer so I'm going by what my much older friends and acquaintances tell me. ;)

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
if you heat them up to much the rubber will start to ball up on the tires... which will not help you in any way..jay

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Rviscosi said:
I ofcourse am not an old timer so I'm going by what my much older friends and acquaintances tell me. ;)
Don't sell yourself short Rob - you're plenty old! HAHAHAHAHA>....

Seriously, I'm with Rob - TOO big of a burn is not a good thing either - I swear Ara use to tell me the tires would actually get "slick" with too big of a burn out....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Titan and MSP are running DR's, they need lots of heat for traction. The length of the burnout depends on the amount of heat you want to build in the tire. The burnout also lets you lay down a fresh patch of rubber across the line, which helps your 60' time.

·
Toyota MasterTech
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im using the bfg comp ta 250/55/16's. it seems like the longer i smoke the tires up, the less traction i have. my 60' times are always right around 1.7's with a small burnout. i get worse 60' times with bigger burnouts. i guess from burning them too much they are getting slick.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
you have to realize, when you do a real long burn out your tire pressure will rise also.. so you have to take that into account.. i've seen pressure changes of 2-5 psi doing burnouts long enough to see smoke and they pulling up to the lights...

also in my experience, drag radials with less sidewall(like you have) don't respond well to long burnouts.. a taller 15 inch drag radial might, but the shorter 16-17 inch ones don't... jay

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Basically you should do the burnout with a few things in mind. 1. the track conditions....if its a well well prepped track very sticky....no need to do a long burnout. If its very cold out and slick track, longer the better.....but basically you do a burnout until you see the thick white smoke start coming out from the tires....then you are good. This is form most experience on et streets pulling 1.58s-175s consistent.

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Oh and another thing....i do 2nd gear burnouts....which make it significantly easier to heat up tires....they heat up real fast in 2nd gear. Instead of sitting there in 1st gear forever.....2nd gear they whip right up and heavy white smoke is not far behind.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
street tires bad for burnout?

Brett

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
Rick,

You probably need to drop the tire pressure. If you're running drag radials, they like burnouts.

neonafk said:
street tires bad for burnout?

Brett
Most people would say no. But I've pulled pretty good 60's with pretty decent burnouts on street tires. But you can definitely overheat a harder compound tire.

Big Burnout= 1.83 60' on Dunlops.

·
Registered
107 Posts
with DR's or Slicks you should technically wipe the tire down after a big burnout because the rubber fragments on the outside of the tire will cause some traction loss. With street tires its a matter of chemistry how soft or hard the tire is will determine the length of burnout.

·
Registered
107 Posts
tire pressures for the rear should be low front should be high. Not too much however on both front and rear. to high on the front may cause steering probs (a good high psi on the front will reduce rolling resistance). To low on the rear and youll be sapping top end pull due to rolling resistance however youll hook better so youll have to find the right balance for your car.

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
The purpose of burning out is to heat the rubber compounds of the tire. When this is done however, as with any gas, it increases the pressure of the air within the tire. The length of a burnout affects how much tire pressure you leave the line with. For instance, MSP and Titan (don't quote me on the exact numbers) probably roll to the staging lanes w/ ~ 9-11 lbs max in their tires. But because they do such hellacious burnouts, they end up leaving the line w/ appx. 15-17 lbs... the ideal pressure for drag radials. If you don't plan to go to the line and smoke out the grandstand, then I would bank on about 14-17 lbs to begin w/, hopefully leaving the line w/ about 15-19 lbs of air. If MSP went to the line w/ 15-17 lbs of air, did their burnout (leaving them w/ maybe 22-25 psi), and launched, my guesses are that might be the one of the last trips of the purple machine down the 1320 due to it doing some serious floating near the 1000' mark.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Caughron said:
If MSP went to the line w/ 15-17 lbs of air, did their burnout, and launched, my guesses are that might be the one of the last trips of the purple machine down the 1320 due to it doing some serious floating near the 1000' mark.
?? trips of the purple machine? serious floating?

Brett

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Purple machine.... aka, the MSP car.
Floating... often occurs when you have too much pressure in drag radials at higher speeds. Floating (which if you have ever experienced, is NOT a pleasant feeling) = walls!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts