Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a local shop that quoted me some prices.

1. "BC valve springs and retainers $328+shipping"
2. "BC 264 cams $520+shipping"
3. "Labor to pull head off and install cams, springs, and retainers will be $1700. Alldata quotes pulling head off as a 22 hour job."
4. "If all your looking for is a stage 1 port/polish for your stock head, I can cut you a good deal. It will include a new 3 angle valve job as well. $1000 will get the job done."

So, for $3,548 I would have new springs, retainers, cams and some minor head work. What is the ballpark figure this should cost?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Pulling the head is NOT a 22 hour job.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I think they are too priced on. I am hoping some people that have had that done will chime in with what they paid for basic head work. Thanks MissSupra, I believe I will tell him that is too high.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Getting those stock twins off the head is pretty tough while the engine is still in the car. Probably not as difficult if you have a single turbo with a header. If that's how it's done.. I'm not sure. I pulled my engine out to do a bunch to it, including pulling my head and the stock twins off.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Just change the springs, retainers and cams (may as well change the valve seals while you are there) with the head on the car, alot less work not having to disassemble the intake and exhaust. Skip the "stage 1" port and polish, diminshing returns on investment there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just leave the head on, but I may need to replace the rings too. I notice that when I start the car, there is blue smoke that quits after about 10 seconds. I thought it may just be the valve seals, but I let my cousin drive the supra and I followed behind in his car and noticed a little puff of blueish smoke right when he would get back on the gas between gearshifts. Not a huge puff but deffinately noticable. Thaks for all the replies.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
why are you doing all this work if you are on stock twins (are you?)???

Do your stem seals, with the head on the car. It's not that bad. I have a writeup at clubna-t.

For $2200 you can be single turbo....... and toss in valve stems for $200 worth of parts (FMS, Stem seals, Timing belt and cam seals)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It is single turbo with the SP63 kit and has full fuel system with dual walbros and 850cc injectors. I am wanting to put either a 71DBB or 72mm turbo, so I want to extend the rev range a little. Also, I think the smoking problem is more than stem seals. Shouldnt the smoking quit after all the oil that leaked past the seals burned? Mine still puts out a slight puff of blueish smoke between gear shifts right when you get back on the throttle.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I would just leave the head on, but I may need to replace the rings too. I notice that when I start the car, there is blue smoke that quits after about 10 seconds. I thought it may just be the valve seals, but I let my cousin drive the supra and I followed behind in his car and noticed a little puff of blueish smoke right when he would get back on the gas between gearshifts. Not a huge puff but deffinately noticable. Thaks for all the replies.
The rings are in the bottom. You need to pull the entire engine to change them. Blue smoke on startup and after a decel are the classic symptoms of bad valve stem seals.

Edit- Also, I'd run far and fast away from anyone using an Alldata labor time guide to estimate labor on an APU Supra, they are either trying to rape you or have zero experience, neither good things.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all the replies and I have to take the good advice and stay away from this shop as far as letting them do exstensive head work. I will probably just try to tackle this my self, I have read a few tutorials on stem seal replacements and I think I can do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts