Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· always watching
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A guy I know has a 84 white with blue interior. the body is in awesome condition. for sitting outside for the last 4 years. no rust really on the outside that I could see. looked in the wheel wells couldn't really soo any, car started right up even though it had old ass gas in it. a quick wax and I think it would look awesome. It has 275k on it though. which I think is an insane amount of miles. the interior is really rough. complet but really rough. he stuck firm at 1000. I don't know what MKII's go for usually so i figured I would ask. do you think the 5m is original or been rebuilt by now?

the other issue is that it hasn't been registered in like three or four years. how much is Ca registration for a mKII?

any advice would be great

· (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
5,165 Posts
If this car is -truly- rust free, $1,000 is a good deal, bad interior or not.

275,000 miles on a MkII is nothing. Obviously, if it started right up even with bad gas, the engine is still running strong. It could have been rebuilt at one point, but it's really hard to tell without any kind of paperwork. You could do a compression check on the engine, and if it's a perfect 170-180psi on every cylinder I'd definitely say it was rebuilt.

I realize the interior is trashed, but you can pickup better interiors from celicasupra.com members who're parting out cars. The most important part of the whole deal is RUST. Interiors are cheaper to replace than bodywork to fix rust is.

I'd get under the car and be more thorough, get a bright, high powered flashlight and check inside the fenders and quarter panels... also check the radiator support, and all control arms for any signs of rust... actually tap on them to make sure it's solid and doesn't flake away.

· Registered
189 Posts
What Tanya said,
make sure you look in the interior compartment where the jack is kept and where you fill the rear washer fluid, look down in both inner quarter panels and look directly up above the tires, these spots started the rust through on my first celicaSupra.
Remember to change the timing belt, thats the only big maint issue I had w both sup's.
B

· The anti-muppet
659 Posts
follow Tanyas advice, interior can be found easy here in socal at the junkyards. If you worried about the engine going on its way out, theres is nothing a nice cheap 6MGE wouldnt fix :)

wow, a white 84 with blue interior. I use to have one just like that (RIP :madjerk: ).

· Registered
1,907 Posts
I've got an 1983 and it still books for over $2,000 so I'd say it's a good deal. If it has no major rust problems the only other thing I'd suggest is checking the tranny, make sure the fluid doesn't look like it has glitter in it, if you see metal in the fluid its going to need a rebuild, same for the rear end. Neither is very cheap to rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.