Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Just did a fresh rebuild on a 2jz-gte-vvti that's about 500 miles old. I noticed that there is some rust on the edges of the deck of the block. Please see the pictures below:
Automotive tire Rim Bumper Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Intake side of motor

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Rim

Exhaust Side of Motor

Automotive tire Light Rim Automotive design Motor vehicle

Exhaust side of motor near the back of the block

I wasn't sure if this is normal for these engines, I am just worried that this will cause issues with the headgasket at some point. This sort of rusting seems to be taking place all around the deck on each side of the block but please let me know what you think.

NOTE: compression test numbers look good and the engine runs fine

Thanks!
Connor

· Registered
1,987 Posts
How involved were you with the engine build? All we can really do is speculate without more information about the origin of the block, climate, how it was stored, who painted it, when, etc. Looks like just some flash rust where a solvent or heat or something broke down the paint. If the compression numbers and oil pressure are good, temps are good, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. If you know nothing about the history of the block, or how it was built, send the oil out for analysis.

Reactions: Wreckless

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How involved were you with the engine build? All we can really do is speculate without more information about the origin of the block, climate, how it was stored, who painted it, when, etc. Looks like just some flash rust where a solvent or heat or something broke down the paint. If the compression numbers and oil pressure are good, temps are good, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. If you know nothing about the history of the block, or how it was built, send the oil out for analysis.
Thanks for the reply and the info! I was actually the one that rebuilt the engine:

had to throw it in there;) But yeah I painted the block and had everything decked and machined before it was all thrown together so it certainly wasn't there when the engine was assembled. Just wanted to see if any of the other Supra guys had this on there engine too.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Did you lube the front main seal? Just saw the 3D printed tool you made (use a socket next time) and it looked dry.

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Use less RTV next time, spread it out with a box cutter blade or straight scrap away from the galleys and inside portion of the engine.

· AFK
494 Posts
Spray WD40 - Gel based lubricant on the rusting areas to stop it from rusting further.
Coat anything around the engine you can with WD40 gel it will last a long time and protect it .
I coat my throttle shaft, throttle cable metal materials, exposed valve cover hardware, back of the engine around the bellhousing hardware, brake lines, any bolts in the engine bay I see, basically any exposed metal should be protected.
Additionally I spray the compressor wheel with normal WD40 about once every 2-3 months to help protect it from oxidation. The PCV system provides a tiny bit of oil when it is connected correctly to the compressor wheel but it isn't quite enough.
You can clean some of the rust off with a wire brush or similar but I wouldn't bother. Just coat it with some anti-rust oil based solution. And remember to add some new oil every so often depending how fast it leaves. WD40 normal stuff only lasts about 2-3 weeks but the gel based WD40 seems to stay put for 5 to 7 months.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spray WD40 - Gel based lubricant on the rusting areas to stop it from rusting further.
Coat anything around the engine you can with WD40 gel it will last a long time and protect it .
I coat my throttle shaft, throttle cable metal materials, exposed valve cover hardware, back of the engine around the bellhousing hardware, brake lines, any bolts in the engine bay I see, basically any exposed metal should be protected.
Additionally I spray the compressor wheel with normal WD40 about once every 2-3 months to help protect it from oxidation. The PCV system provides a tiny bit of oil when it is connected correctly to the compressor wheel but it isn't quite enough.
You can clean some of the rust off with a wire brush or similar but I wouldn't bother. Just coat it with some anti-rust oil based solution. And remember to add some new oil every so often depending how fast it leaves. WD40 normal stuff only lasts about 2-3 weeks but the gel based WD40 seems to stay put for 5 to 7 months.
Awesome advice I will certainly get on this thank you! Quick question, have you ever noticed this kind of rust on your engine or do you do the WD40 trick as preventative maintenance?

· Premium Member
Lots of BMWs, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Supras, and a few others
116 Posts
Hey all!
Just did a fresh rebuild on a 2jz-gte-vvti that's about 500 miles old. I noticed that there is some rust on the edges of the deck of the block. Please see the pictures below:
View attachment 282843
Intake side of motor

View attachment 282844
Exhaust Side of Motor

View attachment 282845
Exhaust side of motor near the back of the block

I wasn't sure if this is normal for these engines, I am just worried that this will cause issues with the headgasket at some point. This sort of rusting seems to be taking place all around the deck on each side of the block but please let me know what you think.

NOTE: compression test numbers look good and the engine runs fine

Thanks!
Connor
Pretty much any exposed metal will rust. If the paint wasn't all the way to the edge and the car is not kept in climate controlled garage that happens. I hate it lol

· AFK
494 Posts
Awesome advice I will certainly get on this thank you! Quick question, have you ever noticed this kind of rust on your engine or do you do the WD40 trick as preventative maintenance?
All engines do but there is no reason to let stuff rust if you can put a stop to it. I regularly oil everything under the hood and all suspension components, wipe them clean and oil them. Once in a while I wash the engine also and re-apply the oil coatings. The parts frequently exposed to dirt grime I will cover or shield in something, for example the Upper Rear control arms I greased up and wrapped in cellophane to keep out the dirt. Oil pan I made a little shield from junkyard aluminum which functional also as a skid plate and blocks water from the exhaust as well. You can fabricate little duct work and shields to protect your engine bay and suspension stuff, while oil protects it from the air and water which is always present.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All engines do but there is no reason to let stuff rust if you can put a stop to it. I regularly oil everything under the hood and all suspension components, wipe them clean and oil them. Once in a while I wash the engine also and re-apply the oil coatings. The parts frequently exposed to dirt grime I will cover or shield in something, for example the Upper Rear control arms I greased up and wrapped in cellophane to keep out the dirt. Oil pan I made a little shield from junkyard aluminum which functional also as a skid plate and blocks water from the exhaust as well. You can fabricate little duct work and shields to protect your engine bay and suspension stuff, while oil protects it from the air and water which is always present.
Great info, thank you so much! I'll have to start doing this!

· From the land down under
5,626 Posts
Connor, Im referencing your exhaust side photo in your first post...

What grade are those bolts that appear to be bolted to what I am guessing are aftermarket fabricated engine mount brackets? Are you sure they are up to the job they're doing, and will you use washers for them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts