Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title is pretty self explanatory; I want to send this is in for an upgrade but I'm not sure if it'll work as a core. If it doesn't then I'll just save up for a real turbo since this is only meant to tide me over anyway.

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
they might charge you extra because the wg housing is cracked. But, your best bet would be to call them and ask =]

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
that is one butt ugly turbo! :lol:

·
Banned
216 Posts
Jewishjalopi said:
they might charge you extra because the wg housing is cracked. But, your best bet would be to call them and ask =]
:iwdumbass if you don't mind me asking, who are you planning to have the rebuild done by?

·
Registered
520 Posts
cre3d said:
So I'm assuming this is no good as a core...
no its ok. the cracked wastegate area is pretty common, and it can be repaired, not really a huge deal, may cost a little more though but not too much. is their a lot of shaft play?

personally i would save your money though and save up for something like an sp61gt or a full turbo kit upgrade. the ct upgrades are kinda hit or miss, some last a while and some last a month or two.

·
Registered
520 Posts
90Legend said:
How do you repair cracks in the wastegate?
not sure but i had sent my turbo away and they said it was alright. it had a cracked wastegate area also. maybe they would have replaced the housing or something, im not too sure just assumed they could fix it some how. i could be wrong though

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
if you could, stay away from the cracked wastegate housing, but they will just charge you a bit more to fix. there are things you can check for that we cant with pics. is there any shaftplay?

·
Registered
689 Posts
i just had mine done, i described my crack to PT and they said it was pretty common.. here ill post a pic of mine before i sent it out...

but anyways, my PT upgrade cost the same as normal, they said those cracks would just form again right away and werent worth fixing. mine are worse than yours even. they said its common and not a problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is about 1/8-1/4" play in all directions, however no signs of wear due to blades rubbing against the housing on either the intake or exhaust sides. The turbo has 165k miles on it, was boosting about 10-11 psi w/ an initial spike of about 14.75. I would love to just save up for an sp kit but by the time I have the money and factor in the time it would take to get ordered/arrive here, this car wouldn't be up and running for another 3 months. Alot of you will say thats the cost you have to pay to play, but I can just as well save that money a little bit later and still have a quick car in the meantime. Not to mention, I would prefer to have ALL my supporting boltons before I get my final turbo. The motor was machined and is being built with a 600rwhp dyno goal in mind.

Edit: I never had smoke from this turbo either, leading me to believe the seals are still ok.

·
Registered
689 Posts
yah assuming its just an easy shaft play fix inside they wont charge you any extra, but if say the housing is worn away, then they will need to replace that, in my case they didnt have to and my shaft play was fixed along with the 57-1 upgrade

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
WOW, that turbo pic looks just like the one I pulled off my 92 with 117K miles on it. It has the same cracks in the exact same location, same missing material on the exhaust wheel shaft nut. Luckily, I got a low mileage (33k) jdm turbo off ebay in great shape with NO play.
Call Jim @ 1-800-225-3596 for a complete rebuilt CT-26. It's $595 after a $150 core charge. Comes with a 1 year/unlimited mile warranty. Jim told me you'll still get the $150 core credit even with the cracks in the housing around the wastegate opening. Said this is very common. They DO NOT repair the cracks but instead change out the exhaust housing with a good one.

http://www.alltrac.net/tuning/turborebuild.html

^ the link and btw, Darell is no longer there, ask for Jim instead

·
Registered
939 Posts
Find an exhaust housing with no cracks or next to none at a junk yard. Slap that on your turbo and then go do a rebuild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts