Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend from the Audi forums sent me this link to gloat. Can this be true? An '02 Audi S4 with Stage 3+ upgrades @ 22psi outrunning a '94 Supra T78 @ 18psi? It seems a bit flaky if you ask me.....Let me know what you guys think?

T78 Supra vs. Audi S4 Stage 3 +

I HOPE THAT A FAMILY 4-DOOR AS HEAVY AS THIS IS WOULD NEVER PULL ON A SUPRA......AT LEAST NOT A MODDED ONE.

Amazed.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
race looked dead even to me, the camera was at a weird angle but the supra hung right with it. there is only so much a supra can do with pump gas, of course a similar motor (meaning 6 cylinder twin turbo) on higher boost with full head/cams, upgraded turbos etc has the potential to "keep up" with a supra on PUMP gas, as opposed to his RACE gas im sure he was on at 22 lbs of boost. let the supra turn his boost up to 22 lbs and see how that race goes!

·
Registered
274 Posts
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
race looked dead even to me, the camera was at a weird angle but the supra hung right with it. there is only so much a supra can do with pump gas, of course a similar motor (meaning 6 cylinder twin turbo) on higher boost with full head/cams, upgraded turbos etc has the potential to "keep up" with a supra on PUMP gas, as opposed to his RACE gas im sure he was on at 22 lbs of boost. let the supra turn his boost up to 22 lbs and see how that race goes!

I can agree. Also a T78 is only good for 480-550 on that amount of psi depending on mods and tuning. Thats not even close to hitting the sweet spot where that turbo shines. It was a close race for the amount of mods/ boost ran. A.J. :D

·
You serious?
3,000 Posts
They would have been right around the same power if it was a T78. Now factor in the weight of the S4, the AWD drive train loss from a roll, etc etc. It was probably a BPU or BPU+something. The guy said that he was neck and neck with an EVO running 10's at 128......128......right around where a very strong BPU MKIV would trap.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
Bad camera angle, you cant even see how far back the supra is, it's probably not far back at all. Either way, nice Audi :)

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
I believe it's Jamie's Audi, he's in Cleveland. You can also see the thread about the race in the multimedia section.

·
Making a ComeBack!
1,054 Posts
Not to take anything away from the AUDI (sounds BAD AZZ and it is quick) but it seem like something went wrong with the supra on the second run....

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
pretty fast Audi, no doubt. i would like to see how the Audi would fare with that Supra if the Supra put some C16, high boost, and faster shifting...

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Dont underestimate S4s! Properly modded and well tuned those cars can be really quick. You also have to remember that the Supra is on pump gas and 18 pounds of boost. What other mods does the Supra have? Full fuel? etc. Id say get some higher octane gas in the Supra and turn the boost up!

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Well for running on pump the Supra did it's job. If it was running the same octane and the same psi that Audi wouldn't stand a chance. The Supra did however, lose that second race.

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Formula1Vendetta said:
They would have been right around the same power if it was a T78. Now factor in the weight of the S4, the AWD drive train loss from a roll, etc etc. It was probably a BPU or BPU+something. The guy said that he was neck and neck with an EVO running 10's at 128......128......right around where a very strong BPU MKIV would trap.
I have never heard an external wastegate on a BPU+ and I have a t78 kit on mine so I definately think it is a T-78, and I have never seen BPU Supras trapping 128mph :dunno:

·
Registered
282 Posts
MANI009 said:
I have never heard an external wastegate on a BPU+ and I have a t78 kit on mine so I definately think it is a T-78, and I have never seen BPU Supras trapping 128mph :dunno:
I agree, a BPU will trap more like 120mph.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
I bet you the T78 car didn't have a fuel system. In that case it's only good for 550bhp tops. With fuel system you can see over 650 at the wheels. BIG difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts