Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1987 MK3 Supra Non-Turbo (Getting 2JZ-GE Swapped)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, like the title asks, is the rust on my 87 worth fixing? The strut towers I'm not as worried about, but the pinch welds are the biggest one. Feel free to give your opinions, and if it's royally screwed, throw some bids out on the parts. I'm trying not to part it out of course, but if it's too bad, well....

Drinkware Automotive lighting Tableware Serveware Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive parking light Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
865 Posts
That pinch weld by your left tail light needs attention, but the other side looks fine - just needs refinishing. Agree you should look underneath the pinch welds, but those are not difficult to repair. The shock towers are probably just those black painted metal rings on all our Supras. No idea what supplier ripped off Toyota and did not coat them to spec but those are the first thing to corrode on almost every Gen 3 I've seen. No biggie and not structural.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not bad how is it underneath?
It's pretty clean underneath, I haven't looked super in-depth though, the tops of the wheel wells are solid, there is some rust starting in the little cavity between the trunk and the rear fender, I don't know how to fix it though, can barely get my damn hand in there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That pinch weld by your left tail light needs attention, but the other side looks fine - just needs refinishing. Agree you should look underneath the pinch welds, but those are not difficult to repair. The shock towers are probably just those black painted metal rings on all our Supras. No idea what supplier ripped off Toyota and did not coat them to spec but those are the first thing to corrode on almost every Gen 3 I've seen. No biggie and not structural.
Ok, good to know the shock towers aren't screwed. I don't really know how the hell to repair the pinch welds, that's the biggest problem. I was just thinking grind the entire flange flat, and weld new 18 gauge steel in. The one thing I forgot to take a photo of was there's about a dime sized rust bubble on the A pillar, I'm thinking that it's fixable, but I would need to cut the windshield out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
doesn't seem like something that would make this a write off. Id just sand that down and put some por 15

·
Registered
865 Posts
Holy crap. NO. Do not start cutting metal out. It is popular internet lore that rust is "like cancer" and you have to cut it out until you find solid unrusted metal. That is wholly and completely wrong and has been an insane and damaging completely wrong concept for decades and has destroyed a lot of cars as a result.

Rust is not alive. It is not a bacteria. It is NOT like cancer in any way, shape or form. It is a simple response of uncoated steel to moisture and oxygen. Coat it and it instantly stops before the coating is cured. So don't go cutting things away. What's needed is to simply stop it by brushing on a cheap and commonly available product you can get at any hardware store called ospho. Inform yourself before doing anything here.

If that were my flange, I'd simply brush it with ospho, paint it and put the rubber molding back on it if I wanted to drive my Supra. If your intention is a show car, well then you'll do something different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy crap. NO. Do not start cutting metal out. It is popular internet lore that rust is "like cancer" and you have to cut it out until you find solid unrusted metal. That is wholly and completely wrong and has been an insane and damaging completely wrong concept for decades and has destroyed a lot of cars as a result.

Rust is not alive. It is not a bacteria. It is NOT like cancer in any way, shape or form. It is a simple response of uncoated steel to moisture and oxygen. Coat it and it instantly stops before the coating is cured. So don't go cutting things away. What's needed is to simply stop it by brushing on a cheap and commonly available product you can get at any hardware store called ospho. Inform yourself before doing anything here.

If that were my flange, I'd simply brush it with ospho, paint it and put the rubber molding back on it if I wanted to drive my Supra. If your intention is a show car, well then you'll do something different.
I've already hit it with TSP + Ospho. I will weld in new patches to fix the small holes though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The strut towers just look like a little surface rust maybe starting to eat in a little at that one spot. The mounting rings on all cars I have seen tend to get some sort of rust or discoloration on there after 10-15 years. Looks like some of that is just rust bleeding off.

The pinch welds are fine from the pics but you need to clear it all off and encapsulate. The spot near the drivers side missing material you could weld in a tube underneath reconnecting the outer and inner skin if you can get an angle. I dont personally think its necessary on these cars. The subframe takes a lot of the load back there. Maybe do something superficial to hide the missing material or if you can weld in something.

I'd check your subframe real well. You said on the other thread you had it covered with a tarp and that can be a real bad thing depending on where its sitting. The ground gets wet underneath and then evaporates goes up and gets trapped in the car and tarp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The strut towers just look like a little surface rust maybe starting to eat in a little at that one spot. The mounting rings on all cars I have seen tend to get some sort of rust or discoloration on there after 10-15 years. Looks like some of that is just rust bleeding off.

The pinch welds are fine from the pics but you need to clear it all off and encapsulate. The spot near the drivers side missing material you could weld in a tube underneath reconnecting the outer and inner skin if you can get an angle. I dont personally think its necessary on these cars. The subframe takes a lot of the load back there. Maybe do something superficial to hide the missing material or if you can weld in something.

I'd check your subframe real well. You said on the other thread you had it covered with a tarp and that can be a real bad thing depending on where its sitting. The ground gets wet underneath and then evaporates goes up and gets trapped in the car and tarp.
Thankfully the tarp doesn't go all the way down to the ground, Although I have gotten a look at the subframe, It does seem to be clean still. The tarp is mostly there to stop water leaking in through the wiper arm seal. I should be able to do some more body work soon, this engine build has been a drag. I've just seen a couple other MK3s get killed by rust right there, and I just needed some other opinions. Thank you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah mine had extreme rust in the spare tire well and hole in one wheel well. A couple little spots here and there on the belly. You could tell it had been driven on a gravel road a lot. And someone put a floor jack in the wrong spot. At 30+ years you cant expect perfection .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts