Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was wanting to know if this was legal, this cygnusx site.....

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

how it has the toyota manual all printed off and in links, i wouldnt think it is legal...but is it?....is there not copyright or something involved?...

reason i asked is because i am starting a site else where for other cars and i was wanting to do the same thing with the manuals, but didnt want to get in an ass load of trouble by the law if i did so...

thx in advance for your help guys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wouldn't think it would be...i'm not a copyright expert though. the way i see it is you're just telling people what thier engine has in it and how to repair it thats all as long as you don't charge for people to look at it i can't see it being a problem...btw i like your signature pic. how'd you do that?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i would think it would be copyright only for the fact it is a published manual...does anyone have the manual that can check to see the copyright regulations or somethin?

btw, 705, my sig was done with gran turismo 4 and photoshop...lol

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I can't answer for that version of the TSRM, however the '88 TSRM is copyright and as such may NOT be reproduced. Furthermore, reproduction for education purposes is ONLY permitted for specific institutions (such as schools) and may not contain an entire (or even large portion of a) body of work. It doesn't matter if you're not doing it for money.

With that cleared up, why knock a good thing? :D

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well didnt a guy put it on CD's and was selling them on ebay. how gay.
o well.
who knows

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
I'm pretty sure Toyota don't really care or they would have done something by now.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
It is copyrighted material, that being said, I don't think Toyota will pursue any legal action.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Toyota is very customer-oriented, and actually enjoys fansites. That said, they aren't selling very many TSRM's for the 1990 Supra, so they probably don't mind the free resource. In fact, since the parts catalogue is also available, it's probably bringing them more business.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Don't ask, DON'T TELL

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thx for all the great feedback guys, now to ask the second part to this....alot of you guys are saying it is copyrightin material, but they wont pursue any legal action, if its copyrightin, wouldnt they pursue legal action IF reproduced?...and you say if its for an education evironment, it wont matter, why is that?..you would think for an educational environment they would make you buy a book for everyone?....and lastly, i wouldnt be doing this for the toyota supra, i would be doing it for the mitsubishi lancer and lancer evolution...how do you think mitsubishi would act to the whole thing?

thx again guys.

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
If you are doing it for education purposes, it is different then if you are doing it for profit purposes. They usually will not pursue you if you aren't making a profit...you're just bringing materials to the community. I would ASSUME that mitsu wouldn't follow through with any legal actions either, simply because you aren't reproducing with the intention of resale, u r just printing it out there for those who need it as well!
just my .02

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well...

i have been thinking about going up to my mitsubishi dealer and asking, but i dont want them busting my balls before i even start....sorta like rolling around with illegal headlights and going to the cops and asking them if they are illegal....also, i was going to being do this on a much larger scale....parts catelogs and catelog numbers, MSM (mitsubishi service manuals) for lancers and lancer evolutions, and the original car manuals the cars came with....

well i think everyone has about around the same idea, if im not doing it for the cash, then i guess they wont get onto my ass.....but i guess there only arguement could be im ruining their MSM sales for lancers?.....

maybe if i put it into a pdf file that could not be downloaded maybe i would be safe guarding myself from mitsubishi chewing my ass out?

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
...................reproduction for education purposes is ONLY permitted for specific institutions (such as schools)................... :D
Oh well, afterall Supraforums IS an institution....................:bigok:

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
If you're uncomfortable about it and really not sure, then don't do it until you are sure.

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
yea i don't want you printing out this page and going to court saying, see these guys told me it was cool :p...if your not cool with it, as joe said...don't do it ;)
~Ahmed

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As previously mentioned, whether for profit or not, reproduction of a copyright material in it's whole (even if you represent a school) is illegal. If they suddenly feel like enforcing their rights, you're hosed.

Don't do it unless you accept the possible consequences.

LOL, Rajunz.... indeed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts