Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 1995 NA/Auto Supra. The drive to see the car is 10 hours away. It is selling roughly for $14k. I ran a auto check on it but am confused about why the mileage reported had a 11 year gap? How is the mileage reported onto these sites? and is that the reason why it's throwing a big red flag for mileage discrepancy? I can post pics of the vehicle if needed but here is the auto check. Also the vehicle had 7 previous owners. Is it normal to have that many? Every owner had the car for roughly 3 years.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Mileage is only reported if there's a reason to. Like someone getting their oil changed or other service done at a dealer. 11 years is a long time but remember, this is a supra, not a minivan. Most people owning this car can do their own maintenence to a certain extent, but if not, they a are probably taking it to a performance shop that specializes in niche vehicles. Neither of which will be reported. Also, depending on the location, sometimes the dmv won't even record the mileage when getting registration renewed every year, most likely because of the vehicles age.

You can run a carfax on it but I have found autocheck to be more useful in my past experience. The last car I checked out before I purchased the one I have now was a stunning single turbo 97 original tt 6sp and was very tempting. The carfax was spotless. Ran an autocheck which was as stunning as the appearance of the car. It reported an accident at the beach that carfax did not. Needless to say, I passed on the beachy supra.

Bottom line is, one report may show something the other doesn't. It's worth the money to get both reports done I'd say. Bottom line is - if both reports just show a time of unreported mileage, I wouldn't worry about it if everything else in the report checks out and the car checks out mechanically in person/has all vin tags etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mileage is only reported if there's a reason to. Like someone getting their oil changed or other service done at a dealer. 11 years is a long time but remember, this is a supra, not a minivan. Most people owning this car can do their own maintenence to a certain extent, but if not, they a are probably taking it to a performance shop that specializes in niche vehicles. Neither of which will be reported. Also, depending on the location, sometimes the dmv won't even record the mileage when getting registration renewed every year, most likely because of the vehicles age.

You can run a carfax on it but I have found autocheck to be more useful in my past experience. The last car I checked out before I purchased the one I have now was a stunning single turbo 97 original tt 6sp and was very tempting. The carfax was spotless. Ran an autocheck which was as stunning as the appearance of the car. It reported an accident at the beach that carfax did not. Needless to say, I passed on the beachy supra.

Bottom line is, one report may show something the other doesn't. It's worth the money to get both reports done I'd say. Bottom line is - if both reports just show a time of unreported mileage, I wouldn't worry about it if everything else in the report checks out and the car checks out mechanically in person/has all vin tags etc.
Thanks for clarifying the mileage being reported. I thought it was something that could be suspicious. I also thought auto check and car fax were generally the same.. does car fax have anything over auto check? I went with auto check because it had more reported entries then carfax but looks like I might just get both like you guys suggest.

The locations of the car in Oklahoma and IL. due to conditions of those states snow, salt, etc. I would think that the car would have rust, but the owner said there was no rust. I will check it out next weekend if it is not sold by then.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
I am curious why the car was at auction 250 miles and 2 months after being sold originally. Sounds like a wreck to me, or it could have been stolen (doubtful).
Mileage is only recorded in something like autocheck or carfax when there is an annual registration, change of title, or some other process that involves the state. The mileage recorded for oil changes, etc, is only for your information and does not get reported to DMV, etc.
It is apparent that some owners drove the car a lot and some not much at all. Definitely get this car on a lift to check for damage from accident and/or salt, rust, etc. Ask in the regional forum for Texas and NM) if there is someone that knows MKIVs close by that could help you check it out. It would have to be in mint condition for me to consider paying 14K for it, but YMMV.

·
Banned
199 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like the vehicle is sold now.. the ad is gone :( I'll update the thread if anything changes.... but on to searching for another Supra....

·
Administrator
8,793 Posts
It's shown as mileage discrepancy because some moron checked the excluded/exempt box on the title. Mileage is more than likely actual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with the Seller, he's in the process of trading it for a Skyline GTR and will update me.

Since the car has been in illinois for 3-4 years... shouldn't we suspect that 95% of those cars all have rust? Is there a way to prevent it? The seller says the car has no rust but I find it hard to believe if it was all the way up there in the north. I wouldn't want to waste my time driving there to find out he's been lying. Should I just pass on this Supra? 14-14.5k doesn't sound like a good deal anymore. KBB seems to list value at 11-12k for good and very good condition. Do Supra values still apply on what KBB says?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts