Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
So i recently got my head for my 2jz-gte back from the machine shop after being resurfaced. I just wanted to make sure the finish on the surface was ok because if you run your fingernail over the surface, you can very faintly feel the ridges the cutting machine left on the surface. If you run your nail over the surface real fast you can hear a soft "zipping" noise from your nail moving across the ridges. It's very hard to see, and the surface looks polished, but if you get the lighting just right you can see the small lines in the surface. Is this ok to put back together?
Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
420 Posts
What RA spec did the shop machine it to?
They should have a roughness tool and measure it to verify it's smooth enough for a MLS gasket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What RA spec did the shop machine it to?
They should have a roughness tool and measure it to verify it's smooth enough for a MLS gasket.
View attachment 258164
Thanks for the reply! I am actually not sure if they tested the surface with an ra scale or not. I told them that it would be fitted with an mls gasket when i took the head in so hopefully its the right ra spec:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
10,450 Posts
Yes, that surface will be fine for a factory MLS gasket or any other MLS gasket with the black rubberized coating.

99% of the time, if there's an MLS head gasket issue, it's because of the block surface not the head.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that surface will be fine for a factory MLS gasket or any other MLS gasket with the black rubberized coating.

99% of the time, if there's an MLS head gasket issue, it's because of the block surface not the head.
Thank you for the reply Wreckless! that's great to hear! Do you think it is worth contacting the machinist about ra testing the head?

·
Super Moderator
10,450 Posts
Thank you for the reply Wreckless! that's great to hear! Do you think it is worth contacting the machinist about ra testing the head?
Personally I'd call, say thank you for the clean work, and express an interest in paying for a smoother finish that's 40RA or smoother to fully seal a metal headgasket.

If the machinist says 'yeah we can do that it's x dollars' or 'next time just ask and we'll make it that smooth' then you're in good shape.
If the machinist says 'that should hold a metal headgasket no problem, is there something wrong?' Still in good shape.

If the machinist doesn't know what RA is, or blows off your concerns/acts like an asshole, find another machinist.

EDIT:
Personally, unless this head is going on a block with billet mains and will regularly see 1100+whp, I'd just send it as is and I wouldn't bother calling the machinist unless there's something else amiss.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Personally I'd call, say thank you for the clean work, and express an interest in paying for a smoother finish that's 40RA or smoother to fully seal a metal headgasket.

If the machinist says 'yeah we can do that it's x dollars' or 'next time just ask and we'll make it that smooth' then you're in good shape.
If the machinist says 'that should hold a metal headgasket no problem, is there something wrong?' Still in good shape.

If the machinist doesn't know what RA is, or blows off your concerns/acts like an asshole, find another machinist.
Thanks Wreckless! So I just got off the phone with them 2 minutes ago. I asked if they would be willing to test the ra of the cylinder head because I'm using an mls head gasket and the fella said that they don't have a ra tester, however they used a "Rottler Resurfacing Machine" and the "surface should be perfect for an mls headgasket, no need to worry". In your opinion do you think I'm good to throw this thing back together? And also, I had no idea the factory Toyota mls headgasket had a coating on it! You learn something new everyday, thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
You are fine with that surface. You only need smoother if you are using a solid metal HG but it sounds like you are using a conventional head gasket which is perfect for that texture. You want some uniform texture for an MLS to grip and adhere to as the head and block move relative to each other every time you heat and cool the engine. Be sure to degrease it with brake cleaner just before you lay the gasket and head down. What are you working on, and do you have a build thread??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are fine with that surface. You only need smoother if you are using a solid metal HG but it sounds like you are using a conventional head gasket which is perfect for that texture. Be sure to degrease it with brake cleaner just before you lay the gasket and head down.
Dough I really appreciate the info! Just to make sure we are on the same page, I am using the OEM 2jzgte MLS head gasket from Toyota. is that not a solid metal head gasket?

·
Registered
352 Posts
It is not. That’s a terrific choice though. I used to be a product planner for Lexus/ Toyota and their replacement head gaskets are pricey but worth every penny. Its a modern multi layer gasket with conforming material to grip the head and block. Good choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is not. That’s a terrific choice though. I used to be a product planner for Lexus/ Toyota and their replacement head gaskets are pricey but worth every penny. Its a modern multi layer gasket with conforming material to grip the head and block. Good choice.
That's awesome you were a product planner for Toyota/Lexus! And thank you for teaching me something new! I'm real happy that you think the OEM MLS gasket is a good choice! Makes me feel much better about throwing this engine back together! I really appreciate it sir!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice - just checked it out. Thanks and keep us posted on your progress. I am building a 7MGE with a full rebuild - going into assembly soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice - just checked it out. Thanks and keep us posted on your progress. I am building a 7MGE with a full rebuild - going into assembly soon.
Thanks for checking it out! And thats awesome! Do you have a build log?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine is on the MarkIII section here under "Father/Son....." I've got the head cleaned and ready for the headache of the shim valve adjustment next as I begin to reassemble. Then block goes together, head gets installed, etc. So I'm literally at the turning point and have been for a month. Little stuff keeps coming up but I think I'm done picking at it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is on the MarkIII section here under "Father/Son....." I've got the head cleaned and ready for the headache of the shim valve adjustment next as I begin to reassemble. Then block goes together, head gets installed, etc. So I'm literally at the turning point and have been for a month. Little stuff keeps coming up but I think I'm done picking at it!
That's great! Ill go check it out!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Worth noting, there was a fella that took part in Hot Rod Power Tour a couple years back, and absolutely killed it. From what I understand, he was very competitive in class, and was looking in good shape to take first place. Last day of racing, the head gasket finally let go on him. The... stock... gasket.

We're talking an engine that, if I recall, was letting this guy hammer home consistent 8 or 9 second passes. Not bad for a factory gasket. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts