Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading on my searches it looks like i can take my no good tt auto motor out and just drop in a jdm aristo motor. is all i need to do is swap out the hole underneath oil pan and water pump along with the cams and motor mounts? the n/a guys seem to have lots more work to do,but for me it looks like a easy swap.

i found a jdm tt suto motor for $1900 local and looks like all i need to do is the above. i dont need the turbos or intake manifold. i just need the head and short block only. is there anything im leaving out? does anyone know if the jdm head has less flow than the us head? i read a post someone said if you want to put hks cams in a jdm head it should be ported/polished first since it hasnt got the flow of the us head? some facts please.

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
The JDM motors used smaller 440cc injectors and the turbos were ceramic. There are a few other differences like no egr.
If your wiring harness, injectors and intake are all still good I would swap all that over to the new motor. Might consider doing the turbos also.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my plan is to just use the short block and head. i have my own turbos and intake manifold. along with my own motor mounts and i think i can use my oil pan, it should just bolt up. and of course a new water pump since jdm wont work on it. cams also will be swapped.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just done this swap about 2 months ago. It took 3 full days and then some with a lift, but I done the fuel system at the same time. Had to change the oilpan and oil pickup, waterpump, and cams. I also put the EGR stuff back on. I dont know if they were different, but I used my origional intake as well. The origional wiring harness hooked right up. Turbo's are different but interchangable, same with the injectors. Oh, yeah and as you mentioned the motor mounts need changed. Thats all of the big stuff that I remember. I dont even recall any little nit pick stuff that came up. It was a pretty easy swap, just time consuming.

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
It won't cost that much more to put in a new Toyota shortblock.

Steve K.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Evill Supra said:
It won't cost that much more to put in a new Toyota shortblock.

Steve K.
Yes, but he is essentially getting a longblock, my guess would be getting all that from toyota would cost out te wazoo
So, noone can confirm that all shortblock and head parts are the same in US spec as with JDM spec? I think that is all he is asking at the point

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
Jason Rush said:
I just done this swap about 2 months ago. It took 3 full days and then some with a lift, but I done the fuel system at the same time. Had to change the oilpan and oil pickup, waterpump, and cams. I also put the EGR stuff back on. I dont know if they were different, but I used my origional intake as well. The origional wiring harness hooked right up. Turbo's are different but interchangable, same with the injectors. Oh, yeah and as you mentioned the motor mounts need changed. Thats all of the big stuff that I remember. I dont even recall any little nit pick stuff that came up. It was a pretty easy swap, just time consuming.

hey jason, when you say motor mounts need to be changed. do you mean just the motor mounts or the brackets that mount the motor to the motor mounts aswell. thanks

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
my plan is to just use the short block and head. i have my own turbos and intake manifold. along with my own motor mounts and i think i can use my oil pan, it should just bolt up. and of course a new water pump since jdm wont work on it. cams also will be swapped.
Sound about right, it's a piece of cake, as far flow number on heads US spec versus JDM,I wish I knew

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slither said:
Yes, but he is essentially getting a longblock, my guess would be getting all that from toyota would cost out te wazoo
So, noone can confirm that all shortblock and head parts are the same in US spec as with JDM spec? I think that is all he is asking at the point

long block from toyota would be big bucks. plus time to break it down for there clerance issues .
so yes, thats all im asking now.
is that all i need to do for a jdm long block install on a apu+++ us tt car? :eek4dance

S

·
0 Posts
yup you will be good to go as long as your oil pans, cams, and water pump are reusable off your old motor. your single turbo already so you have no need for the egr ports on the head (which jdm's do not have) so your all set. just a straight forward swap.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
supradup said:
yup you will be good to go as long as your oil pans, cams, and water pump are reusable off your old motor. your single turbo already so you have no need for the egr ports on the head (which jdm's do not have) so your all set. just a straight forward swap.

sounds good. hope i didnt leave anything out. i would hate to put it all together and find 1 stubborn piece i forgot to get.

looked at my lower/upper oilpan and theres lots of silver rtv sealant around it.

no one can confirm if the jdm head is different at all besides the cams? read some old post and only a few people said it has smaller intake ports.reccomemnded some porting at least to keep up with the u.s. head.?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts