Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my short term goal, I would like to achieve 350 to 400 RWHP. Please tell me if my plans to attain that goal seem reasonable.

Mods right now:
JDM 7M-GTE
CT26 with 60-1 upgrade
3 inch cat back exhaust
SS upper intercooler pipes
Greddy Type S BOV
Turbo XS MBC
Lexus AFM
K&N FIPK
Test Pipe

Planned upgrades to achieve goal:
LM-1 Wideband 02 sensor with data logging
Apexi SAFC II
BIC Downpipe
Electronic boost controller to prevent boost spikes

Does this sound like I'm going down the right path? Any suggestions or recommended changes to my "planned upgrades"?

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Lex MAF and no 550's?

that like having peanutbutter and no jelly :dunno:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sethron71 said:
Skip the electronic boost controller and buy a set of 550's and 350rwhp should be obtainable.
I have heard our model runs rich anyway... Couldn't I balance that out with the SAFC and skip the injectors? I have seen people use the stock 440's for even more than 400 RWHP. However, I have heard that using the stockers at a higher HP level increases their duty cycle and decreases reliability. Comments?

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
It has been done, but most of us would rather not cheap out on the injectors. Check out the guy in the forsale section either here or on Supramania that upgrades the stockers.
GL
Kevin

·
Registered
240 Posts
When you start hitting higher boost levels as in over 14 psi you really start to create heat.

The oem intercooler will heat soak quick and produce deminishing returns. An upgrade will be very helpful to reduce the intake temps of the air/fuel which is key in keeping detonation away.

I did not see any engine mods. With the ct upgrade and no mhg and not overhauling the engine 400 rwhp will be what 470 flywheel hp if we have a 15% power train loss. That may be high so 450 fwhp? Dont expect this set up to last long on an unknown engine.

But you will have fun while it last. Just be prepared to put in a mhg the proper way. The stock rods and pistons should be ok but i would atleast replace the pistons when you replace the head gasket and have the bores honed and proper deck finishes too.

To get that much hp out of the stock 440s you will have to tune very well and keep intake temps down and have a properly working sensors and engine and timing.

Good luck.

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
just get them rebuilt, in the forsale section, not that costly, better in the long run IMHO.

EDIT: the injector i mean, guy in for-sale can rebuild them up to 1600cc. Good luck with your goal(s)

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
if you put the engine back together without a MHG and ARPs you might as well sell the turbo and the lex afm because your not gonna need them. Trust me sell the turbo buy the MHG and ARPs and get some 550s. Install them all with the lex afm and the stock turbo. At that point you know your safe. Then go with the wideband so you know what the hell is going on. Why boost blindly? Then get the SAFC II and tune the car properly. A well tuned 7M with the stock turbo running 15 or 16 psi with all supporting mods is much better than some idiot running a stock engine with a 60-1 and no supporting mods. You will pass that guy when hes on the side of the highway with a BHG.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
wow....i didnt know people go this far without doin a mhg....all i have is a intake downpipe n a 3" exhaust....n some shims....ohh yeah mhg n arp bolts...how boost do u guys think i could safely without blowing anything....im kinda new to the mkiii world :)

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
if you have stock hg and stock head bolts check the bolts first to see if they are stock torque (use a torque wrench and torque them to 60ft-lbs if them torque upthen they are stock torque)

you can then take the chance of trying to torque up your stock hg to 75ft lbs any more and you run the risk of squashing the stock gasket and then youll most definitely have a BHG on your hands. I would be satisfied with the power you have for now. Then make the move either this winter or pick up another engine and do the build up right. you can run all the boost you want right now but just be prepared to maby blow.

how the hell do you have over 1000 posts without knowing this

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
stallion said:
if you have stock hg and stock head bolts check the bolts first to see if they are stock torque (use a torque wrench and torque them to 60ft-lbs if them torque upthen they are stock torque)

you can then take the chance of trying to torque up your stock hg to 75ft lbs any more and you run the risk of squashing the stock gasket and then youll most definitely have a BHG on your hands. I would be satisfied with the power you have for now. Then make the move either this winter or pick up another engine and do the build up right. you can run all the boost you want right now but just be prepared to maby blow.

how the hell do you have over 1000 posts without knowing this
hey stallion....r u refering that to me.....i have over 1000 posts because....im not new to the mkiv world...jus picked up a mkiii about a month ago!!

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
First thing you have to do is head gasket... it will blow if you start driving it like us supra owners do. Stocker + apr head studs should be fine for 400.. anything more and go MHG... I say this because you will save a lot of money and time not pulling the entire engine and getting the block decked and honed for the MHG..

I will be @ BPU levels with tuning on upraded CT within the next couple months with the stock HG and I'm positive as long as I tune conservative and no detonation the HG will hold fine.

And you should definately go with the 550's.... over working your injectors @ that duty cycle is not something you want to fail on you @ high boost...

·
Registered
606 Posts
your next mod might want to be a downpipe, or take care of the HG flaw. I would have gotten the DP before the BOV, at low power levels i think an aftermarket BOV is not worth investing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention...

When I had the JDM engine put in, I had them install a new Felpro headgasket and ARP head bolts torqued to 85 foot pounds.

The mechanic that did the work in Miami had an MKIII, and he said he used the Felpro with ARP's torqued to 85 foot pounds, and that he was boosting 17 PSI all day long on the stock CT26.

For now, I just ordered a BIC DDP. I'm going to install that, and tune with an SAFC II and LM-1 wideband. After I get my AF ratios right, I'm going to dyno test, and let you guys know what I get.

Then I'll probably do 550's and a Walbro with an AFPR.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
didn't see this mentioned yet, but add a clutch to your list, i doubt the stock will hold that much for long. get yourself a spec stage III and you'll be good to go. also, you *might* be able to run ok with stock injectors and a lexus afm if you just got a walbro and tuned it carefully with the afc.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
It will be cheaper in the end if you do your 60-1 last. Do the boring reliability mods first, like 550s, MHG, intercooler and wideband. Not trying to bag on u but whats the point of making 400 HP with a stock clutch?

~scott

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
scottiedawg66 said:
It will be cheaper in the end if you do your 60-1 last. Do the boring reliability mods first, like 550s, MHG, intercooler and wideband. Not trying to bag on u but whats the point of making 400 HP with a stock clutch?

~scott

Sorry... I had a sig. with all my mods in it, but it disappeared after they upgraded the forum to the new version of VBulletin, and I keep forgetting all the things I have done to this car so far...

Anyway... I forgot to mention that I also have the HorsePowerFreaks feramic clutch kit with the Act pressure plate. Supposed to hold up to 600 HP or so.

I also have the upper intercooler hardpipes, but not the lower ones yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you're going to get a lex afm, get 550's. You won't be able to run much boost without them. I believe just a lexus afm and no 550's will actually lower your fuel cut.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I just did my first dyno pull for tuning purposes on the MAFT setup.
This is my current setup:
MAFT
TIAL-style BOV
2.5in. thick FFIC
hardpipes
DDP
3 inch exhaust

pretty much it. all-stock motor, stock turbo, stock boost.
I put down pretty much exactly what I expected to: 260RWHP and 261RWTQ
Next is an upgraded HG, and ARP's. THEN I will play with the boost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts