Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im thinking to by a mk4 supra as a daily and reselling in the future hopefully for a profit i findet a mk4 supra factory twin turbo for sale at a reasonable price but im not sure if is a good investment because is automatic and i dont thing is a good idea and im thinking if a buy the car to manual swap with the factory 6 speed manual and i need to now is whis would indicate in the resale value in the future

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
because is automatic and i dont thing is a good idea
You answered your own question!

I do not think it's a good idea to buy with plans to convert to 6 spd, if for no other reason that the 6 spd parts are really hard to find these days, if not impossible. If you do manage to find the complete swap, expect to pay up to $20k for the parts.

Al

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 97 TT auto and would not have a stick shift car, but that's me love autos and you can see new high power cars have 7/10 gears and shift faster they ony one can shift

·
Registered
180 Posts
If I bought another Supra (and was keeping my current v160 car), I would definitely go with an automatic for drag racing, especially seeing what ATFspeed is doing with the A340E.

You will not get as much for an auto on resale, but its likely you would have paid less for it to begin with. If its a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

·
2,082 Posts
I bought my automatic '97 TT in May 2002 because I wanted a Supra. The 6-speed were going for more at the time and they all had more miles too. Having had my car now just over 18 years I would not trade it for anything. I bought it to drive and enjoy. I never thought of it as an investment / something to sell at a profit. If somebody offered me $100k I suppose I'd highly consider it, but that isn't going to happen and anything I would want isn't going to be cheap. So I'll just continue to drive and enjoy. Buy it to enjoy it, not to flip it for a profit.

My $.02

·
Very Senior Member
10,036 Posts
If the price is decent, buy the car. You will not regret buying the auto. It shifts faster and holds boost during the shifts than a manual. I bought mine in 2001 and never regretted it for an instant. I even took it to road courses for 14 years and passed a lot of other cars. It is still fully street with all the interior, A/C, all options, and is a keeper.
A swap is price-prohibitive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts