Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the 240 is pretty much gone and soon after the camaro, so im looking for a nice luxury car. I went and test drove a couple 07 TL's, TSX, and an Is250, the IS just seems built better to me, i can feel the power diffrence that the TL has over the IS but im just looking for good gas. Anyway my real question is how do you like owning the car, any issues you have had, anything to watch for when im looking?? Anything you could tell me would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
idk about a girly car, being as the 250 and 350 are the exact same car munis a few options. im not a fan of all the crome but black it out and even on stock rims they look good. At any rate im getting enough cash from my cars to buy one outright and i honestly just dont care about the power diffrence. id rather invest that in wheels or the audio system. The cobra has 800hp over the 250 so i think im ok in the power department for now.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
The IS250 is the most boring/underpowered feeling car I've driven in some time. I'd drive an ES first - at least that can get out of its own way.
And the other two posters are right, the IS250 is the official first-car-out-of-college of chicks that don't want a 328i

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess im not following on why there a girls car if they are "aesthetically" the same as the 350, please explain that..........

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
i guess im not following on why there a girls car if they are "aesthetically" the same as the 350, please explain that..........
100 hp difference
much worse brakes
Honestly, if you've ever driven a 350 and a 250 back to back (I have, on an autocross track) there's such a huge difference in performance you wonder why Lexus bothered to make the 250, to say nothing of the fact they offer their one manual tranny on the least powerful model that they make :scratch:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Do you care about cars? Yes? Don't buy any modern Acura and don't buy an IS unless it is an F model. You can find a nice diesel car for this price.
Agree on Acuras, nice cars but wrong wheel drive, not partial to diesels, especially since mosts are from brands that don't know their ass from a hole on the ground when it comes to building reliable cars.

To the OP, why not an IS350? More power is almost always better, especially when we are talking about cars in this power range. And I bet gas mileage won't be that different from the 250.

I have not driven an IS250 but the IS350 I drove was a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I care about my cars have 3 high performance cars. The cobra in the next week or two should be making a 1000whp. So for my daily I could car less. Now I will say that I haven't driven a 350 and will go in a few days two. I just want a great interior, AC seats and keyless. I'm actually trying to be sensible with this car. I don't need the extra power because I have another car that makes gobs of power. Which again bring me to KY point of same car just different motor, brakes, and suspension, whicl I will probably change anyway......

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree on Acuras, nice cars but wrong wheel drive, not partial to diesels, especially since mosts are from brands that don't know their ass from a hole on the ground when it comes to building reliable cars.

To the OP, why not an IS350? More power is almost always better, especially when we are talking about cars in this power range. And I bet gas mileage won't be that different from the 250.

I have not driven an IS250 but the IS350 I drove was a lot of fun to drive.

My issue is the 350s I'm looking at would be 06 and around 80k miles. The 250s on the other hand I've found with less than 50k and that's 06,07 and a few 08s

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
My issue is the 350s I'm looking at would be 06 and around 80k miles. The 250s on the other hand I've found with less than 50k and that's 06,07 and a few 08s
It's a Lexus, an extra 30K miles is no big deal. If you were talking a BMW, MB, Audi or something like that then I would definitely go with the lowest mileage possible.

You should PM Ken Henderson and get his opinion, he's had an IS350 for a few years.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a 250. Got it just for the stick. Honestly, it's an ok dd. It's not that quick, but sufficient. Gas mileage isn't bad, but nothing too great. I get 23mpg city/highway with bad traffic and mildly aggressive driving, but I also have headers with deleted cats that are making it run a little on the rich side. The transmission comes from the tacoma, along with the 39lb flywheel, which made shifting pretty sluggish. Fidanza made a lightweight flywheel for it, which made a significant difference, but it's still 19lbs. The 350 would be better if you can afford it, but the 250 isn't too bad if you're looking for a nice dd on the luxury side.

Also, lots of cars may seem girly, but you can change that.

This is an F, but aside from the exhaust, bumper, fenders, and badging, you can get bigger brakes, and have the same stance and look pretty nice. There's also the blitz grill and lip that are pretty aggressive and a nice touch.

·
97 HARD TOP
1,044 Posts
i like the 250 and 350. like the OP said, hes not looking for power out of this car, he just needs a good DD. even in the stock form with it slamed to the ground and blacked out looks good i think. in the end it all comes down to what he really wants. if you got the power from the other cars then i would say go for it. good luck on your search.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just sold my IS350 after 5 years and 50k miles, one of the best cars ive owned! But when it was at the dealer fir service, we would get a is250, terrible feel and acceleration! I couldnt believe how different the two could be, ive even taking our car road racing and did quite well.

Don't worry about the extra miles, from all the recalls Lexus extended the warranty to 100k on all IS models free of charge.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have owned my IS250 for about 3months now and i love it so far.The car is what everybody else has said, It is very slow and will let you down if your looking to do anything more than DD it.

The car does feel's very well built and tight, I usually average about 26mpg and have gotten up to 38mpg on the highway at some points.I would recommend it for a good DD.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just sold my IS350 after 5 years and 50k miles, one of the best cars ive owned! But when it was at the dealer fir service, we would get a is250, terrible feel and acceleration! I couldnt believe how different the two could be, ive even taking our car road racing and did quite well.

Don't worry about the extra miles, from all the recalls Lexus extended the warranty to 100k on all IS models free of charge.
I have owned my IS250 for about 3months now and i love it so far.The car is what everybody else has said, It is very slow and will let you down if your looking to do anything more than DD it.

The car does feel's very well built and tight, I usually average about 26mpg and have gotten up to 38mpg on the highway at some points.I would recommend it for a good DD.

kind of off topic but what do you both pay on insurance and with whom are you going through?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts