Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some info, been a mitsubishi guy for a while, but shopping for an IS300 at the moment, trying to figure out the best way to go ab my build... member galleyhand suggested i join the forum... greetings all

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ask yourself a few basic questions:

1) What is my power goals
2) What is your main priority in order? (Reliable>Power>Cost, or Power>Reliable>Cost or Cost>Power>Reliable etc...)
3) What is your budget.

Quick basics. If you're manual 5 speed then the W55 tranny won't last past I would say 400whp. Maybe less. If you plan on going manual eventually, be smart and start off with a manual car since you haven't got one yet. That way the swap will be a lot less crazy and cheaper for you. If you're going R154 you can push that tranny up pretty high and if you have a V160, well... thats your best bet for power holding. If you're going auto, it will become a necessity to run a tranny cooler, valve body upgrade and sprag gear upgrade. Remember you will likely need a good set of large wheels/tires in the rear to put the traction down or it'll be like ice skating.

The Motor: The bottom end internals are good upto around 450whp. Anything above that IMO is a risk. I've seen people do it, but not often. Stick with a Turbo setup if you like power. Supra TT headgasket is a very good idea to hold power. If you want more than 450whp, easiest option is to get a set of Supra TT internals and drop them in. Good for a LOT of power. If you want to go all out, fully build the block and head and you have a 4 digit whp setup. XS Power has a cheap turbo kit for this car if you're on a budget. If you want to do it custom, you can look up the list of parts for the SRT 2.75 Kit IS300 Turbo kit which will give you a good guide of what you need. The easiest and most convenient thing to do for you is buy an SRT Turbo 2.75 kit. Its complete and has everything you need. There is a guy who's selling the whole kit on my.is for $2600 I believe which is a steal imo.

EMS: If you're budget allows I strongly recommend a stand-alone ECU. ProEFI, AEM, Haltech etc.....

If you have other questions, post up. Also click on my signature and you'll find a whole lot of information on my thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I am trying to build a dependable 450whp car, looking more for a quick spool and midrange power...
i would really want a manual tranny, don't enjoy auto as much. so with my power goal, i believe the 154 trans with meet my requirements.
and i'm planning on going with a minimum tt short block, maybe entire engine swap, but i'm reading that the vvt-i is advantageous for idle, spool, and power... was wanting to do a twin setup until all the reading of the headache it is to do it with the is300 head, but it is SOOO cost effective to buy a long block with tranny, turbos, wiring harness, and ecm, so that may entice me to do the entire engine swap... just the pain of doing all the electrical, and getting the long block with the same mounts as the is300. I want a really clean setup, so dont want to do much fabrication if i can get away with it...
as far as engine management, with my goal at a mere 450whp, i dont think i'm gona have to go really expensive there.. I do however HATE piggy-backs with a PASSION!!! so i'm gona have to do my research on the best bang for my buck...
I'm a Toyota/Lexus technician (long story there) so i dont think i'll have too much trouble with the swap or mechanics of it. Just really trying to decide on which way to go. I plan on taking my tax return for this coming year to pick-up a solid is300 and go from there...
really just trying to sort everything out before i just jump into it... mistakes cost alot of money, so i'd rather be knowledgeable on the subject and not miss anything...
like i said before, i'm a mitsubishi guy, know them up and down, from DSM's to my last car an Evo 8... but i'm looking for a dependable daily driver, decent mpg, good looks, and some acceleration. and i love the is300, but it just doesnt have the pep it should...

my priorities, 1. Reliability 2.Cost 3.Power

i really appreciate your suggestions, any others are welcomed and appreciated as well. its not usual that someone writes a 3 paragraph reply to a newbs "hello" post, so Thank You again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.