Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am trying to swap a gte into my 02 manual is. I am wondering if it is better to go with the aristo vvti rather than the other gte vvti? The aristo seems to cost much more why is this?

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
First, make sure that you can pass a local inspection with an engine swap. IS300's can't keep OBD-II port functionality for pulling codes after a GTE swap. It is hypothetically possible of course, but I've yet to see it accomplished because the only OBD-II compliant GTE ECU is the 96-98 2JZ-GTE non-vvti USDM ECU's and they don't support the CAN bus gauge cluster, or a myriad of other functions the factory IS300 ECU does.

Not sure what you mean by the 'other GTE VVTi' but there's 2JZ-GTE VVTi engines which were only found in Aristos and 97+ JDM Supras, and the Supra version commands a premium. The Aristo one is more desirable for the IS300 though because the Aristo's front sump oil pan clears the IS300 subframe while the Supra's mid/rear sump pan does not.

A VVTi 'GTE' that is different and cheaper than the Aristo 2JZ-GTE is almost certainly a 1JZ-GTE VVTi engine from a Chaser, Crown, or similar sedan. They're potent in their own right but generally not as potent as the 2JZ-GTE. I would get honest about your power goals, look up various 2JZ-GTE and 1JZ-GTE builds, and make a decision from there.

Generally speaking, 1JZ-GTE's are less supported than the 2JZ and will tend to have more lag for a given HP level.

For any GTE swap into an IS300, expect to spend a lot of money getting the wiring sorted out. You will generally need to keep the stock IS300 ECU as well as integrate your chosen standalone EMS or stock GTE ECU to make everything mostly work. It is not a cheap swap. Expect to spend around $6-7k total (minimum) if you're keeping your W55 5-spd manual trans and keeping the power below 400whp. Once you need a single turbo conversion or a stronger trans, it gets expensive FAST.

Best of luck!

Reactions: KrisOK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, make sure that you can pass a local inspection with an engine swap. IS300's can't keep OBD-II port functionality for pulling codes after a GTE swap. It is hypothetically possible of course, but I've yet to see it accomplished because the only OBD-II compliant GTE ECU is the 96-98 2JZ-GTE non-vvti USDM ECU's and they don't support the CAN bus gauge cluster, or a myriad of other functions the factory IS300 ECU does.

Not sure what you mean by the 'other GTE VVTi' but there's 2JZ-GTE VVTi engines which were only found in Aristos and 97+ JDM Supras, and the Supra version commands a premium. The Aristo one is more desirable for the IS300 though because the Aristo's front sump oil pan clears the IS300 subframe while the Supra's mid/rear sump pan does not.

A VVTi 'GTE' that is different and cheaper than the Aristo 2JZ-GTE is almost certainly a 1JZ-GTE VVTi engine from a Chaser, Crown, or similar sedan. They're potent in their own right but generally not as potent as the 2JZ-GTE. I would get honest about your power goals, look up various 2JZ-GTE and 1JZ-GTE builds, and make a decision from there.

Generally speaking, 1JZ-GTE's are less supported than the 2JZ and will tend to have more lag for a given HP level.

For any GTE swap into an IS300, expect to spend a lot of money getting the wiring sorted out. You will generally need to keep the stock IS300 ECU as well as integrate your chosen standalone EMS or stock GTE ECU to make everything mostly work. It is not a cheap swap. Expect to spend around $6-7k total (minimum) if you're keeping your W55 5-spd manual trans and keeping the power below 400whp. Once you need a single turbo conversion or a stronger trans, it gets expensive FAST.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the help and yes the Supra gte is the one I’m referring to and as of right now the Aristo engine is actually coming in at almost twice the price for some reason it’s crazy what they want for them right now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be great if someone could find an aristo motor in good condition and send over a link or something. All of the ones in stock right now are upwards of 5k

·
Registered
52 Posts
It would be great if someone could find an aristo motor in good condition and send over a link or something. All of the ones in stock right now are upwards of 5k
It’s crazy how the motor has increased in price in just a few years. My 2jzgte VVTi was 1700$ to my door 3 years ago. What are they now? 5000$? I think it’s a combination of high demand and covid driving the price. You’d be better off building a spare 2jzge VVTi with quality parts in my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes, i also purchased several of these for $1700.
I have an 03 is300 with the aristo vvti gte. Its nice and was a simple swap., but with prices where they are now, would have gone 1JZ gte NoN vvti for my power levels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes ..
the 1jz its a very nice motor .you can beat on it all day ..
but it’s not cheap going single turbo.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
It’s crazy how the motor has increased in price in just a few years. My 2jzgte VVTi was 1700$ to my door 3 years ago. What are they now? 5000$? I think it’s a combination of high demand and covid driving the price. You’d be better off building a spare 2jzge VVTi with quality parts in my opinion.
COVID has absolutely nothing to do with it - it's just a vastly smaller supply and ever-increasing demand. Remember that the last year an Aristo came with a 2JZ-GTE VVTi engine was 2005. Meaning there's not very many still on the road in Japan, and that means less engines available from cars being wrecked/recycled/parted out.

VVTi engines were also very cheap because of the VVTi - 10 years ago there was virtually no way to properly run a VVTi system on a standalone, now almost every EMS on the market supports it and it's very easy to tune. That also increased demand for VVTi engines in a big way.

I agree that the OP would likely be best served with a simple rods/pistons build of his existing VVTi GE, and turboing that. But some folks just want the GTE engine and it is what it is.

Reactions: KrisOK

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh I just meant that covid has driven the price of everything higher - or at least it seems that way - including freight. 2005 was a long time ago, and I agree that few are still on the road in Japan. The shaken tax would make it unrealistic and unaffordable in Japan, but the shaken is also what supplies us with exported motors. It would be interesting to see production numbers for GTE Aristos. Might help make sense of the current pricing. The VVTi gte has been steadily climbing in price but really jumped in the last year. You could get a good start to a built GE motor for what a used GTE is going for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts