Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lexus IS300 uses the VVT version of the 2JZ-GE engine and there's a few addtional mods listed for that car that aren't listed for the N/A Supra. Speicifically. . .Toyomoto makes a tubular header that's *supposed* to make an additional 15rwhp on the GE engine. I've been trying to figure out if this thing will fit on a N/A. I contacted Suprastore about the header they sell for the IS300 and they claimed ignorance. ("We not tried to attach the IS300 header to the N/A Supra nor do we have plans to in the future" was their response.) I've contacted Toyomoto and they haven't responded.

As far as it working or not working for our engines, the only things that I can figure would be if the exhaust ports on the VVT head are different than the ports on the early 2JS-GE head or if the Exhaust outlet on the header and the catback don't line up. Whatever the case, if the problem is the latter and the difference is not by much, a little creative pipe bending or fabrication could give our BPU N/A Supras a few more HP.

The mod is listed under the BPU section of the following page: http://www.toyomoto.com/is300.htm

Cheers!

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
It would be quite a stroke of luck for it to fit. Getting rid of emissions equipment? Federal offense. I'd keep the main one under the car myself. Price is right, though. Wonder what its made of?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does anybody know if this header fit? and do we need a "midpipe kit" to fit our na cars? anyone ??? anyone??

E

·
0 Posts
i don't think the toyomoto vvti 2jz-ge header will fit
a supra non vvti 2jz-ge engine. and i also heard some
bad things about that header..fitment problems.

just giving you heads up.

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
mkivsoopra said:
Whatever happened to the MPH Unlimited headers??
they relocated and didnt have time to finish their project yet, at least this is what i was "told." im still waiting for them to call in order to finish up the job.

..thus far, they haven't exactly been the most reliable people to work with... but i dont want to be quick to judge anybody just yet, so ill give it some more time before any negative comments are posted...

sooner or later, itll be finished and ill inform you guys. there isnt much left to do, so....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. . .just did a parts exchange search on the '98 N/A Supra exhaust manifold. Looks like the headers are the same for the 1993-1998 N/A Supra, Lexus GS 300 and Lexus SC Series. Strangely enough though, the IS300 wasn't even listed as an available car in the parts search I used. So the question is still exists as to whether or not the exhaust is same from the manifold to the catback exhaust.

As far as fitment, I haven't found too many complaints on the IS300.net forums. That seemed to be argued both ways, some claimed exhaust leaks, others thought it be an installation rather than a fitment issue (overtorqueing/uneven torquening of the manifold studs warps the flange.)
Another issue from removing the cats is a super funky exhuast smell. . .but that was argued both ways as well.

Yeah, I believe it's a federal offense to remove functioning emissions gear. Looks like every BPU TT owner is a federal offender then doesn't it? :rolleyes: But I live in Kansas. . .as long as a car isn't visibly on fire, nobody seems to care what the exhaust spits out.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Does anybody know about any other BPU's from an IS300 that would fit on NA supras? specifically intake pipes? or maybe an SC300 intake pipes... Also I need an intake that would fit a 96 NA.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got an idea... I have a friend that has an is300 and has been thinking about getting a header for his car. I might just go ahead and order the header and try it on my na, and see how much trouble it is and if it's gonna work. If it doesnt work I will sell it to him.... I'll keep ya'll posted

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the response that I just recieved from Toyomoto as to whether or not these would fit:

The headers should bolt up, however you will need to make a custom b pipe section because the headers will not bolt up to the stock exhaust.

So it sounds like it's a go. . .

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SupraSC:

Your signature says you own a '95 N/A Roadster. . .is that just a T-Top or did you have the roof chopped to make it a full convertible? If that's the case. . .would love to see some pics!

Cheers!

·
Registered
296 Posts
stay put for the turbo kit for NA

Why spend $$$ on the header when Toyomoto will come out with a turbo kit for NA. I would save that $$$ and buy the kit which will probably include the header, manifold and other stuffs and the price is probably cheaper than order each piece separately.

·
Registered
126 Posts
RabidChild said:
SupraSC:

Your signature says you own a '95 N/A Roadster. . .is that just a T-Top or did you have the roof chopped to make it a full convertible? If that's the case. . .would love to see some pics!

Cheers!
I cut the entire top off. I dont have any pics yet. Right now I am in the process of bracing the car. I prettymuch have the car all stripped down. It's coming along really nice, all the body lines blend very well. Here is a computeraltered pic of the car, paintshop is nice.
I keep ya posted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts