Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im almost tired of being fucked with in california. I know I can sell my supra and save the trouble of getting screwed. If I want to race, I will drive my 240sx at the road course. I saw a iS350 today on the street, decided hey why not, lets go check one out. I am almost in love with it besides the fact it doesnt have 6 speed manual! Paddle shifters are better, more efficient but still..I like the feel of a manual.

Do you guys like the new iS?
Do you think they are gonna come out with a 6speed manual?
Gotta love the cool features( i had a g35 and its nothing compared to the iS350)
Body is something I gotta get used to
The aftermarket is very good in Japan

Just want opinions. Gotta find out my financial status, and if it looks good...iS350 is it.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
new is's fukin rock! I too wish they had a true manual transmission. Maybe wait a year to see if they release one? Would suck if you picked one up and it came out the next year with one. haha. In a perfect world id say keep the Sup still. But I hear ya on that cali BS!

Alex

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very true, the is300 came out with the 5speed manual a couple of years later. I would wait if they came out with one but shit, how would i know? sucks..

I doubt they will though since the paddle shifters.

·
Champagne Papi
5,700 Posts
The interiors too small. My Coupe feels alot bigger as a drivers perspective, I went with the FX35 instead. I don't regret it all at I'm in love with this thing, it handles well for an SUV, its sporty enough where you forget you're in an SUV, its got alot of room, nice exhaust ton(like my G) and it's good on gas (same motor VQ35). It's also pretty quick because of how light weight it is. I picked it over the X5(4.4L) because of two reasons. Better on gas, it's got alot more room, and it's faster because theres a 800lb difference that makes up for the torque the X5 has, Considering all that weight you would think the X5 is safer, it's not. FX has better crash test #'s. :)

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
PaKmaN said:
Considering all that weight you would think the X5 is safer, it's not. FX has better crash test #'s. :)
Crash test figures are relatively irrelevant. All five star rated cars are not the same. What matters more is survivability ratings like the UK use. This is why a Volvo XC90 is not rated 5 stars in the US but is much safer than the other vehicles in it's class. The US is behind in how we think about car accidents federally. Things like low speed high impact accidents have only recently gotten attention. You ever see how much a 7mph coast into a concrete parking divider would destroy the back hatch of an x5? Much more than if that thing was rear ended by a car. Don't let the foreign corporations dumb you down. Btw you made a great choice I may pick one of those up soon.

·
Champagne Papi
5,700 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
Crash test figures are relatively irrelevant. All five star rated cars are not the same. What matters more is survivability ratings like the UK use. This is why a Volvo XC90 is not rated 5 stars in the US but is much safer than the other vehicles in it's class. The US is behind in how we think about car accidents federally. Things like low speed high impact accidents have only recently gotten attention. You ever see how much a 7mph coast into a concrete parking divider would destroy the back hatch of an x5? Much more than if that thing was rear ended by a car. Don't let the foreign corporations dumb you down. Btw you made a great choice I may pick one of those up soon.
I never knew that.. how does the UK measure if you don't mind finding links for me. And thanks I'm loving this car i'll post up some pics later this week

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
PaKmaN said:
I never knew that.. how does the UK measure if you don't mind finding links for me. And thanks I'm loving this car i'll post up some pics later this week
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=9
And if you look around the site there are the actual numbers of the tests performed and individual scores not based on a scale of comparison.

And to the thread poster. IS's are seriously uncool compared to the A4 and 330. How do you feel about warranties and such? And please don't put yourself into debt because of a car. This is a first year model, which means production only ramps up from here. Maybe hold off on getting this.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PaKmaN said:
The interiors too small. My Coupe feels alot bigger as a drivers perspective, I went with the FX35 instead. I don't regret it all at I'm in love with this thing, it handles well for an SUV, its sporty enough where you forget you're in an SUV, its got alot of room, nice exhaust ton(like my G) and it's good on gas (same motor VQ35). It's also pretty quick because of how light weight it is. I picked it over the X5(4.4L) because of two reasons. Better on gas, it's got alot more room, and it's faster because theres a 800lb difference that makes up for the torque the X5 has, Considering all that weight you would think the X5 is safer, it's not. FX has better crash test #'s. :)
I had a coupe also, the space is limited almost like the coupe. So space is your opinion?

Thanks for the input.

·
Champagne Papi
5,700 Posts
RichGT said:
I had a coupe also, the space is limited almost like the coupe. So space is your opinion?

Thanks for the input.

Well I'm 6'2 so headroom is obviously a big deal. When I sit comfortably the seats in the back are useless which is a big turn off for me in a sedan. I mean in my G35 when I sit comfortably theres barly any room there for an Adult but I mean it's a coupe you don't expect much anyway. The IS's should have been made a little bit bigger instead it's like a luxurious corolla which is eh. :ugh2:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I test drove it and I overall it was a good experience. What I didn't like was that it wasn't that fun to drive. It feels more like a luxury car than a sports sedan because road feel and engine noise were too suppressed. The VDIM system rules it out as a weekend road race car.

The good news though is that the car can always be modified to get a better sound and road feel and switch the VDIM on/off (not sure if that's been figured out yet but it shouldn't take long to). It was more powerful and handled better than I thought it would and the paddleshift had quicker response than I'd expect it to.

I loved the interior from a styling and ergonomics perspective but if you're going to have people in the backseat often it's a bit cramped. The thing that really turned me off is that the Mark Levinson system is not available even as an option. In fact they have no premium stereo option available and I wasn't too impressed with the stock sound system (still better than stock MKIV system, which doesn't say much).

Anyway, that's my $0.02

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
SupraStar2000 said:
The thing that really turned me off is that the Mark Levinson system is not available even as an option. In fact they have no premium stereo option available and I wasn't too impressed with the stock sound system (still better than stock MKIV system, which doesn't say much).

Anyway, that's my $0.02
That's one of the strangest complaints I've heard about a car. Factory stereos always suck whether they're the upgrade or not. You're much better off sticking with the base stereo and using the money to upgrade it yourself....

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree that most factory stereos usually suck but the Mark Levinson is pretty well known to be a great system and if it was available I would add the option and not touch it. Ofcourse that's a personal thing but a more general concern would be the amount of upgrading you can do without voiding warranty.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to get the dad/navi but it only comes with the premium system. I dont want the system but I guess i might have to just deal with it.

When is the 2 door coming? I know they will have the 6 speed if thats coming out.

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
SupraStar2000 said:
The thing that really turned me off is that the Mark Levinson system is not available even as an option. In fact they have no premium stereo option available and I wasn't too impressed with the stock sound system (still better than stock MKIV system, which doesn't say much).

Anyway, that's my $0.02

This is not what I have found in conducting my research, including a number of trips to the dealer. The IS 350 will be my wife's next car. She wants the sports package (Option Code ST) and, right now, you cannot get the sports package without the Mark Levinson sound system and navigation. We tried to get a base IS 350 with the sports package and such an animal does not exist without special ordering the vehicle.

Lexus is now offering in its accessories package an HKS dual exhaust system for those who want a more aggressive (but still legal) exhaust note. More aggressive Lexi are coming, including the coupe, so it all depends on whether a guy can get his arms around what is currently available or willing to wait for a much more driver oriented VDIM (or at least the option to turn it completely off) and 6MT. Great car as is, though. I love 'em and it's perfect for my wife.

Ken.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For some reason it seems like there's a big difference in the options available on the IS350 depending on what region it is bought in. Either that or the one dealer I went to was clueless. I was told that the Mark Levinson system is not available on an IS350 anywhere in the USA and that if I wanted one it would be a special order from Japan that would take up to 6 months. I don't like the fact that you can't pick and choose each option and instead have to go with pre-made packages. I understand it when one option is required to get another but Lexus packages really narrow down the customization factor.

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
SupraStar2000 said:
For some reason it seems like there's a big difference in the options available on the IS350 depending on what region it is bought in. Either that or the one dealer I went to was clueless. I was told that the Mark Levinson system is not available on an IS350 anywhere in the USA and that if I wanted one it would be a special order from Japan that would take up to 6 months. I don't like the fact that you can't pick and choose each option and instead have to go with pre-made packages. I understand it when one option is required to get another but Lexus packages really narrow down the customization factor.
I feel your frustration. In SoCali, I have yet to see a sport package-equipped IS 350 without the ML and nav. The cars are selling VERY well here and dealers can't keep them on the lot. When we kept insisting on a base IS 350 plus the sport package, we heard the same thing from the dealer that you did. It would be a special order vehicle and would take 4-6 months for delivery.

FWIW, the two local Lexus dealers can hardly keep the cars in stock and most are pre-sold. Since the car has been out since October 2005, I thought things would have settled down a bit. I'm sure they will, but it is certainly taking longer than I thought it would. As a result, the dealers are ordering cars with everything knowing they can get full price on all the ones they sell.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts