Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Stock 1989 Supra Turbo w/ Sport Roof
This inspired me to clean mine and I saw that mine has the same welded tip. I wonder if it was just a manufacturing artifact.

Registered
When my son first removed the entire valve from the manifold he said that the rubber o-ring between the plunger assembly and the electrical assembly end was just hanging out of the case. The o-ring used by whoever worked on this before but in a o-ring that was way too big. We have been having a difficult time trying to source one. Any ideas? We have tried all the local auto parts stores with no luck.
I had the same issue. I ended up using RTV. Lol. I also ordered some gasket material for the IAC to manifold gasket.

@Whoosh10 my idle was a tad high. Just under 900 warmed up in neutral. I noticed my plunger piece was not all the way in contact with the seat as well. The tip doesn't seem to really matter aside from directing airflow from what I can tell.

Registered
Checked the resistance and operation of the ISC valve tonight as noted in the service manual. Everything thing checked out. Resistance was within spec a valve was moving with power applied. Think I will just try some rtv sealer in lieu of the o-ring and get it installed. Hopefully it works out. Waiting for an alternator to come in first.
Definitely use the RTV sparingly though. I got mine exactly in the groove with a tiny bit extra on top. Still smooshed out quite a bit. I was afraid it would seep towards the spring and jam everything up but it actuated correctly when I tested it after curing.

Registered
To hear that the welded tip is normal make me nervous that I have filed it down to smooth it out and may have damaged it and changed it from what was designed. I hope when we have everything ready to fired it up again it all works out.

I have performed the tests in the manual and could see and hear the plunger moving in and out. It definitely moves a very small amount with every sequence through the terminals.
I wouldn't worry about it too much! I'm fairly positive it's just a manufacturing byproduct. It may be a minor airflow thing if anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts