Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 mk3 Supra turbo 5 speed.
Recently purchased this car with my son and have been going over a few things on the car. Car would start but wouldn’t idle unless you gave it throttle. Son decided to pull the ISC Valve to see if it was dirty or damaged.
Upon inspection the tip of the plunger seemed a little odd. Almost looks like someone put a bead of weld on the end. Hoping to get some people to offer opinions on if this is normal or not.
Gas Metal Wood Indoor games and sports Titanium

Gas Metal Circle Fashion accessory Still life photography
Gas Metal Circle Fashion accessory Still life photography
Gas Metal Wood Indoor games and sports Titanium

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a chance to start cleaning this valve. It was definitely not carbon deposits. For some reason it appears that someone welded a little dob onto the end. I hope I didn’t mess it up but I filed the weld down to a uniform shape trying to match the other side. Hopefully it works once I get it put back together.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When my son first removed the entire valve from the manifold he said that the rubber o-ring between the plunger assembly and the electrical assembly end was just hanging out of the case. The o-ring used by whoever worked on this before but in a o-ring that was way too big. We have been having a difficult time trying to source one. Any ideas? We have tried all the local auto parts stores with no luck.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked the resistance and operation of the ISC valve tonight as noted in the service manual. Everything thing checked out. Resistance was within spec a valve was moving with power applied. Think I will just try some rtv sealer in lieu of the o-ring and get it installed. Hopefully it works out. Waiting for an alternator to come in first.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To hear that the welded tip is normal make me nervous that I have filed it down to smooth it out and may have damaged it and changed it from what was designed. I hope when we have everything ready to fired it up again it all works out.

I have performed the tests in the manual and could see and hear the plunger moving in and out. It definitely moves a very small amount with every sequence through the terminals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts