Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not the best of nights... started out coming home from work and checking out the weather forecast. Seemed like the rain was a good distance away yet and that I could get several runs in at Island Dragway, so off I went. Met up w/ a few friends there (one of whom was going to drag his 94 Lotus Espirit) only to realize that everybody and their mother was there racing. I guess they figured that since the weather was in question, alot of people wouldn't show up? Anyways, went tech and into the staging lanes. First run was against an 03/04 Viper (copper colored?)

Keep in mind, this is the first time me ever drag racing a Supra or any "high powered" RWD car before, so I was keeping that in mind as well. I was on pump gas and 18psi and an 18" Toyo street tire. Staged and brought the revs up to 3500 and slipped the clutch a bit but the tires just broke loose. Quick shift to 2nd and boost hits, tires break loose. Quick shift to 3rd, boost hits, tires break loose again. They eventually caught when shifting to 4th and the car hooked and booked. To put it in perspective, my friends were near the 1/8 mile mark and saw that I was still spinning, maybe the reason why my 1/8 mph was only 89 and change. Final time was a measly 13.8 @ 119.2. Not a bad pickup in mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 though.

60' - 2.5 :urowned:
1/8 mile - 9.55 @ 89
1/4 mile - 13.8 @ 119.2

The temps were cool, the track seemed as if it wasn't prepped as good as Etown usually was. So, all in all, it was weird fighting for traction when I'm usually fighting for higher trap speeds (coming from AWD cars), so it's something I have to get used to. I went back for a 2nd run, but it started to drizzle and I wasn't taking a chance w/ that. I ended up packing it in and heading home. I'm going to try and hit up Etown on a sunny, warm day, when the sun has a chance to heat up the pavement and see if that helps a bit. Then it's time for some drag radials. I did meet another Supraforums memeber there, Arizona!! Was good to put a face with a name and maybe I'll see you at the track (or a meet) sometime soon.

All in all, it was fun and I just thought I would share...

*edit*

Here is the video link on streetfire...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9435E509-9D60-48F4-839A-91F6E65ABE12.htm

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
damn, not too shabby first time out....but damn, 18 psi on street tires....yikes....probably best to run off the wastegate first few times out there, especially on street tires!!

be careful dude....

I hear they prep Atco better then etown and island..might want to check it out

honestly...screw the street tires...throw on some DR's, better to be safe then sorry....

did AZ give u any pointers? he's DA MAN!

maybe take some lessons from Bill too?

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TsopranoIS300 said:
damn, not too shabby first time out....but damn, 18 psi on street tires....yikes....probably best to run off the wastegate first few times out there, especially on street tires!!

be careful dude....

I hear they prep Atco better then etown and island..might want to check it out

honestly...screw the street tires...throw on some DR's, better to be safe then sorry....

did AZ give u any pointers? he's DA MAN!

maybe take some lessons from Bill too?
Yeah, 18psi on street tires... only problem is, the wastegate spring is............ 18psi :urowned: Nothing really that I can do, but it was weird. The car hooked better on the street than at that track?!?!?! That's what baffled me a bit. I will hit up Etown/Atco soon, but I'm going to try and do it during the day so the sun heats up the pavement. I still have to pick up the rims from Bill (stock rims) so maybe I'll order a set of DR for the stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It was nice meeting you last night Greg. Car is very nice. Urges me to finish mine alittle more. Sounded nice too.

Island was packed last nite. Normally its never like that not even on opening night, Im there eveyother weekend if anyone heads down and if you break we offer services down the street(currently with a supra being worked on now) to fix u up. Island is great on Test and Tune Sundays. Usually on saturday there are muscle car drags so sunday is still sticky sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts