Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More like nightmares than issues, I cant get the harmonic balancer off the crank. I have fully removed the crank bolt and got a tool from autozone. I installed it and tried to remove it but the bolts just started bending. With my track record of breaking bolts I quickly removed it. I wouldn't think it would be on that tight. I did a search but came up empty and broken... just like my car :(

TIA

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
Sounds like you may not have threaded your bolts in completely straight.
My harmonic balancer was somewhat difficult to remove also. At first, I didn't have enough thread engagement of the pulley puller's bolts into the threaded holes of the harmonic balancer. I ended up stripping the threads from one of those holes in the balancer.

My suggestion is to make sure those puller bolts are inserted properly & with enough thread engagement. Also, apply a little WD40 to the crank shaft/center of the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will put some PB Blaster on it tonight and get some more new bolts tomorrow (i rented the tool for free, so maybe they will give me new bolts. I did tap it with a rubber mallet on the metal part just to jar it a tad, didnt seem to do much for me though.

·
Vigilante Toyo Tech
462 Posts
There is a puller tool you should be using.... the autozone one may or may not be the righgt size.

soak it over night in "PB BLASTER" or some lesser penetrant

try again, 6mm bolts i think.... make sure they are a high grade bolt, not some cheap house bolt with a standard thread.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If you don't care about the damper, when you get the puller on and it's tight give her a whack with a hammer. And I'm not talking a dead blow either :) But really it should come off with some good bolts for the puller.

·
TT This
917 Posts
It's time to show off the ghetto pulley puller I made. I just sandwich the deepwell socket between the crank end and the 1/4" aluminum plate. Then just tighten the bolts and she pops right off :)

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I had the same problem. I even ended up breaking one of the puller bolts when I was removing it. If you plan on replacing the damper (you should), pick yourself up a puller the grasps the outside endes of the pulley, place something (I used a pipe end cap) in the crank bolt area to prevent damage, and crank away. After I finally got the pully off I made sure to clean up the area with scotchbrite to remove corrosion and make removal/installation easier. As I said, do not re-use the same pulley if you use this techique!

Shawn

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
If the bolts are bending or breaking, then you don't have all the bolts in at the same depth. They need to all be in the same amount or else they will break or bend. You can easily tell if one is in further than the other because it will start tugging to one side and the other side will have slack.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think the bolts were uneven which was causing the biggest problem. I bought some new bolts today and will tighten them down all the way and try again tonight. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to all.. I got some grade 8 8mm/1.25 thread 40mm bolts. Took some cranking but it did come off. There was quite a bit of corrosion on there holding it on.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
gts_guy said:
Just wanted to say thanks to all.. I got some grade 8 8mm/1.25 thread 40mm bolts. Took some cranking but it did come off. There was quite a bit of corrosion on there holding it on.
Before you reinstall it or replace the pulley, put some anti-seize compound on the crank snout.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This is a very simple task. Most puller bolts are way too long and the puller is a couple of inches away from the balancer, giving it an opportunity to rock back and forth when there's only two threaded holes to use like on a Supra. I always get the puller as close to if not tightened against the balancer so it can't rock, often you have to cut the bolts or get new shorter ones. If the puller isn't tightened against the balancer I use spacers between the puller and balancer to tighten it against. Put grease on the threads of the puller shaft, and on the nose of the puller shaft that butts against the nose of the crank. These steps should make any balancer come off with ease. There is no reason to ever beat a balancer with a hammer/block of wood/rubber mallet. Damage to the balancer, (especially a Supra one w/ that thin aluminum rim,) or main bearings may result. Use a puller to pull it, installer to install it, using the bolt to suck it on the crank is a good way to damage the threads on the crank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used a footprint style puller with the two bolts that hold the waterpipe to the block above the pump. They were an exact fit. I had the pipe off anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts