Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my car painted in january by a very reputable shop in my area. I paid $3000 for rust removal and the spray. It is 042 pearl white mica, stock for my 87 supra turbo.....it looks great, feels great but the thing is it chips SOOOO easily. I slightly tapped the fender by accident with vice grips and it chipped. Most other paints would either scratch, but mine leaves a big hole. As well there are also a lot of other chip marks throughout the car from just daily shit. I mean my car looks more battled then my sisters 96 integra with original paint.

What could the cause be??? bad mixture?? wrong adhesives?? wrong primer???

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm a painter and actually a repaint in not as durable as original paint. The process that the manufature use as far as baking the paint to a certain temp. can not be duplicated in any paint both in a paint shop.As far as hitting it wit a vise grip that is a solid enough objet to chip any paint. Sorry about your problems hopefully I was some kind of help

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
most three stage paint tend to chip easier than regular base/clear system and it's advised to use adhesion promoter over the base before shooting the clear

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it just seems so fragile. I just tapped the fender with the vice grips...i didn't expect anything from it.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Adhesion promoter will help somewhat, but Ive personally never had problems with three stage jobs. The rare times Ive seen repaints have problems is when the clear is far too thick. Some people think thick clear is the best, but in many cases, it can be very easy to chip. If your car was painted by a reputable shop, you should be able to take the car back and they should fix it at no cost to you.

If someone came back to me with a problem like that, I would eat the cost on it to keep my reputation. I have yet to see work come back with a problem, but that is how I would handle the situation.

·
Banned
397 Posts
If its chipping that bad take the car back. Like Driftracer said, if the shop is worth its salt it will repaint and do it right to save face. I had my front bumper repainted and its starting to chip somewhat bad in one area, about the size of a dime. This only happened because a rock hit the area at high speed. I took it back and they repainted it for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts