Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car, for the last couple weeks, has been running consitantly at 103*c and coolant has been flushing into the overflow...and disappearing elsewhere like mad. Having succomb to BHG a mere 8000 miles ago I obviously feared the worse. But I went ahead and took a shot in the dark and threw on a new radiator cap. Worked wonders. Car now runs consitantly at 90-95*c and coolant no longer disapears. Replacing the two deteriorated hoses leaking profusely probably helped too.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,151 Posts
hah... i remember driving around for ever wtih out the hazzard switch hooked up.. This mean no left/right clickers.. When I did hook it up i felt so much better never fearing the police around my area (they will pull you over for anything)

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,080 Posts
MA-71 said:
I have the same problem. I have to look for the damn leak!!
The way to find "That Damn Leak" is to get a radiator pressure pump and pressure the system up.:D this way you can find it without working over a hot, running engine.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Rajunz said:
The way to find "That Damn Leak" is to get a radiator pressure pump and pressure the system up.:D this way you can find it without working over a hot, running engine.
Good call Lance...
most autoparts stores rent them out. so it's not even like you had to buy one.

We missed you at the meet man!

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
i remember the small hose near the wastegate actuator had a small pen hole in it and I was leaking coolant. After I located that hose, i have never seen my temp. guage pass the halfway mark.

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
Rajunz said:
Sometimes the pressure test on the cooling system may not work on a cold engine... but its just better to work on a cold engine then hot. ;)

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^nice TII....

Well...after putting 25miles on it today the temp stayed fine...even on a long steep climb on the way to work. But when I stopped there was coolant leaking...but from the cap...not into the overflow but actually from the cap. I have one of those caps with the pressure release valve on it so I think that might be why...

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
*BLacK SuPrA GTE* said:
i remember the small hose near the wastegate actuator had a small pen hole in it and I was leaking coolant. After I located that hose, i have never seen my temp. guage pass the halfway mark.

Nice shot of the palisades parking garage:p I think....

·
Back to Action!
210 Posts
makenzie71 said:
I went ahead and took a shot in the dark and threw on a new radiator cap.
YOU ROCK!

Last Saturday my supra started overheating like mad. My friend thought it was the water pump. From my description my mechanic thought it was a BHG. Suffice to say since then the car has barely moved and I've been driving my gf's Cavalier.

I'll say this never expected $8 in coolant and an old rad cap to fix that problem.

Thanx for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts