Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :wavey:

Long time no speak!

Took the last year or so off to concentrate on travel, work, school and other stuff so I really have been out of touch with the supra scene. Anyways, looking to finish the car this spring with overhauling the engine but not sure where to go. There still any good shops out there in Van or should I look to the boys at SP, etc. down south?

Feels good to come back tot he community and I hope to touch base with you all soon!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hey man! Nice ride! We'll have to have a meet sometime. I'm currently overhauling my supra too, just got the engine out this morning actually. Your car looks beautiful! I don't know of any good shops around here either.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Welcome back. I'm looking heavily at SP, but the 2200 miles to get there is not great. Couple shops on the west coast that are a bit closer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any suggestions of good shops you guys have dealt with? I am basically looking to overhaul the motor finally with a single turbo upgrade and all the needed components that go with it. Aiming for that 550- 650 power range.

Been awhile so hoping you tuner vets can help me get back in the swing of things.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm trying out the Speed4Sale GT28 twin upgrade if it doesn't workout I may just go single turbo next winter, but I'm also hoping for the 500 range. Really there isn't a whole lot of motor upgrades you need to do for 550-650. I just got the full gasket rebuild kit, getting all new head bolts, bearings, etc.. cams/gears. at that range you will want to look into upgrading your fuel system and some form of engine management (i'm using AEM) I wish we had more choice of shops, RRev motorsports are in portland... Other than that I don't know of any close ones with 2JZ experience.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
RRev is apparently good, however I've heard a lot of not great things as of late. If you are going to Portland just hook up with John Reed he has his own shop there now (was with RRev) and his one of the top tuners on the west coast.

If you do not want to go full stand alone a piggy pack along the lines of the MAP ECU2 will get you that 550 spot. Depending on your needs of course and the amount of tuning you want done. Check out the dyno tuning section lots of good threads and stickies.

Side note: I'm not really into the stereo side of things, but who did your trunk works, looks good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.

94Canuck:
My stereo was done by a company in town here - Car Tunes N' Toys. I am pretty happy with it, just need to take the time to tune it as well :)

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
RRev is apparently good, however I've heard a lot of not great things as of late. If you are going to Portland just hook up with John Reed he has his own shop there now (was with RRev) and his one of the top tuners on the west coast.

If you do not want to go full stand alone a piggy pack along the lines of the MAP ECU2 will get you that 550 spot. Depending on your needs of course and the amount of tuning you want done. Check out the dyno tuning section lots of good threads and stickies.

Side note: I'm not really into the stereo side of things, but who did your trunk works, looks good.
RREV can kiss my ass, maybe search their name and see what you come up with first. ;) No way in hell I would trust them with upgrading a car.

John is a good friend of mine and left RREV for many reasons. He is a great tuner and can do many other things to help you with your goals. He is now John Reed Racing. He is working on a website soon.

Duane

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Duane. I see your car is still as mean as ever. How are things?

I already sent John a message last night. Hopefully i'll hear from him soon. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks for the info Duane, I wasn't aware of that. When I get my car tuned I would love for it to be John.

Bishop, thanks I'll check them out too :)

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Sean, what kind of work are you needing done?, my shop specializes in all Supras, we do engine swaps, custom turbo kits and exhaust, and we are now a Haltech dealer and we do EMS installs and tuning. Let me know what you need.

Randy
www.bicperformance.com

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Thanks Duane. I see your car is still as mean as ever. How are things?

I already sent John a message last night. Hopefully i'll hear from him soon. :)

Things are good. :)

I spoke with John yesterday and he is heading to the Texas meet this weekend. He is the best of the best for tuning, period. I will let him know what you are looking at also. He may be heading up my way and doing some small stuff for me and maybe something for a few others.

Duane

·
Registered
861 Posts
Things are good. :)

I spoke with John yesterday and he is heading to the Texas meet this weekend. He is the best of the best for tuning, period. I will let him know what you are looking at also. He may be heading up my way and doing some small stuff for me and maybe something for a few others.

Duane
Depending on when you get things going, maybe we could get a few people down to Vancouver or somewhere and get John up for a couple days then?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would be interested in when john is coming to Van my car is almost put back together and i am going to need a good tune and i dont really trust anyone in Van sorry pm let me know when he is coming maybe i can have my car ready for then and ill put some $$ into getting him here and stuff. PM me

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Depending on when you get things going, maybe we could get a few people down to Vancouver or somewhere and get John up for a couple days then?
I can call him and let him know that a few will want to get things done. He will stay at my place like last time so it could be done in a couple of days I'm sure. I will be doing minor things to my car since he tuned it already.

Note: Do me a favor, PM me and I will make a list of people that would like things done. What I would need is:

Name, place (Vancouver) if you want to dyno or drive ability only, what stand alone, and if you have a base map already or is it a start from scratch tune.

Thanks
Duane

PS: In the title when PM'ing, please add John Reed to it so i know what it's for. I get many emails/pm's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
when are you thinking?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts