Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Space for sale
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i've been spending lots of time these days trying to piece together the turbo equipment i want, and i've been interested in the ITS line of Dual Ball Bearing turbos.

I've heard from people that ITS's turbos, even dual ball bearing, are prone to bearing failure, and would require a rebuild around every two years (non excessive driving).

For those that have used or are using the ITS line of turbos, could you please give me recommendation?

I'm interesteded in the ITS GT72Q DBB turbo.

·
4,417 Posts
Everyone that I personally have known (about 4 forum members) who have had ITS DBB turbo's on their car have had to rebuild them. None of them lasted anywhere close to two years (most of them much less than 1 year).... and all have gone back to a standard cartridge turbo.

·
Space for sale
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim Swantko said:
Everyone that I personally have known (about 4 forum members) who have had ITS DBB turbo's on their car have had to rebuild them. None of them lasted anywhere close to two years (most of them much less than 1 year).... and all have gone back to a standard cartridge turbo.
:eek: :eek:

I guess my buddy was right when he said to stay far away from ITS DBB turbos!!!

I was about ready to order them too...

·
T-Power
1,617 Posts
:eek: is it true? anybody else have any commends about this?

I almost bought a used ITS 72 that has been around for awhile.. thank god it didn't go through.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Most DBB turbos out there offer NO difference in power or spool. They cost almost 2 times the amount of a normal turbo, and the cost to rebuild them is the price of a standard turbo sometimes.

I would stick with a standard turbo, most of us are making GOOD power with them.

If you need parts just ask me :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
Most DBB turbos out there offer NO difference in power or spool. They cost almost 2 times the amount of a normal turbo, and the cost to rebuild them is the price of a standard turbo sometimes.

I would stick with a standard turbo, most of us are making GOOD power with them.

wow this statement is bold. We run an ITS 58gts dual bb and love it! We also have a dual bb garret on the ty and the power and spool is noticably different. On the typhoon we went from a pt51 to a garret gt35e-r dual bb wich is equivalent to a 61mm and we didn't even have to change the stall out! There is no way a regular turbo will allow for this. Also ITS dual bb turbo's are stronger and produce more power than regular turbo's of the same size due to the fact that they can run a larger exhaust wheel due to the dual bb option where regular turbos cannot because they will be too laggy or the head won't be able to flow it. Our 58gts will make 680hp with the current housing and we could change that as well if we need more. I have had both kinds of turbo's and i will NEVER reccomend or go back to a normal turbo ever!

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
MK4LIFE said:

Mike, my friend, you've been without your Supra for too long and that statement above proves it, lol. I can't speak to the ITS DBB turbos, but I have some experience with HKS and Garrett ball bearing turbos. IMO, they spool noticeably better, seat of the pants and on the dyno, than thrust bearing turbos of the same size. They are stronger and handle very high boost better. They certainly are more expensive and, if you damage one, likely as not, you've bought a new one.

DBB turbos require much less oil pressure than thrust bearing turbos and I know some guys were destroying their ITS DBB turbos with thrust bearing-type oil pressures. The A/R on my HKS GT 3240s is .87 and my spool is better than the GReddy TD06L2 20Gs they replaced even though the A/R on the GReddys was approximately .50.

Yes, I have the stroker, and it certainly helps, but the 3240s are so much bigger than the GReddys (good for 580 ps each), only a portion of the enhanced spool is attributable to the larger displacement motor, IMO. Garrett has a ton of ball bearing turbos in the market. I think we'd be hearing about it if there was something inherently wrong with the durability and reliability of DBB turbos.

OT: When's the car going to be ready?

Ken.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's true. ITS turbos do leak oil after a while. I have had mine for about a year and a half w/ less that 2500 miles of mostly off boost street driving along with about 10 passes or so at the track. I am a believer in dBB, however,it appears ITS has issues that they need to resolve. I have been told that the Precision line of dBB turbos has not had these problems and are a better bet. Unfortunately for me, Precision does not make a dBB 74mm. The closest dBB configuration they offer is 76mm,etc. which would require me to run nitrous to spool. I am trying to stay away from that. I am going to have my turbo shipped off in the next several weeks. I am going to see how ITS's rebuild does and go from there.
Tony

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I cannot speak for ITS, but Garrett BB units are better in everyway. Turbine efficiency is much better, thrust load capability is much better, and they do last longer. They may be more sensitive (not sure honestly) to bad oil, but hopefully keeping fresh oil in our cars isn't a porblem. Oil does need to be restricted significan't or that turbine fficiency you paid so much for will be taken back (or at least part of it).

Again, ITS reliability/efficiency/etc. may be different as they use their own bb system. Precision uses Garrett BB based turbos.

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
I have had 2 (3) if you count a rebuild , ITS DBB Turbos. 74 and a 76R...Both lasted no time. I cant say exact mileage...but def under a year and both started leaking oil bad....and pretty much destoyed the center section and bearings. And they did it out of no where too. And funny thing is put on a SP77HO and it outspooled the DBB's and made more power. Definitley not worth the money. And it was a grand to rebuild btw. I cannot speak for any other DBB turbos...but ITS definitely had many problems. Not sure if anything has changed...but i had them a year to 2 years ago. Just my experience and opinion. I would personally not waste the money or time on ITS Dbb.

Tony

·
T-Power
1,617 Posts
Thanks Tony. Those are great infos. I almost jump into another ITS DBB turbo phew.. :)

How about Turbonetic BB turbos? anybody use them? any comments?

TIA,
john

·
Registered
904 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
I have had 2 (3) if you count a rebuild , ITS DBB Turbos. 74 and a 76R...Both lasted no time. I cant say exact mileage...but def under a year and both started leaking oil bad....and pretty much destoyed the center section and bearings. And they did it out of no where too. And funny thing is put on a SP77HO and it outspooled the DBB's and made more power. Definitley not worth the money. And it was a grand to rebuild btw. I cannot speak for any other DBB turbos...but ITS definitely had many problems. Not sure if anything has changed...but i had them a year to 2 years ago. Just my experience and opinion. I would personally not waste the money or time on ITS Dbb.

Tony
Tony,
It's nice to hear that input you just gave us.Did i read correctly that the SP77HO outspooled the ITS 74dBB as well? How long did the ITS rebuild last you?
Tony

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Mike, my friend, you've been without your Supra for too long and that statement above proves it, lol. I can't speak to the ITS DBB turbos, but I have some experience with HKS and Garrett ball bearing turbos. IMO, they spool noticeably better, seat of the pants and on the dyno, than thrust bearing turbos of the same size. They are stronger and handle very high boost better. They certainly are more expensive and, if you damage one, likely as not, you've bought a new one.

DBB turbos require much less oil pressure than thrust bearing turbos and I know some guys were destroying their ITS DBB turbos with thrust bearing-type oil pressures. The A/R on my HKS GT 3240s is .87 and my spool is better than the GReddy TD06L2 20Gs they replaced even though the A/R on the GReddys was approximately .50.

Yes, I have the stroker, and it certainly helps, but the 3240s are so much bigger than the GReddys (good for 580 ps each), only a portion of the enhanced spool is attributable to the larger displacement motor, IMO. Garrett has a ton of ball bearing turbos in the market. I think we'd be hearing about it if there was something inherently wrong with the durability and reliability of DBB turbos.

OT: When's the car going to be ready?

Ken.
Yes ken you are correct, i should have worded my response better. The ITS DBB has shown to be of no difference in spool and power.

I am aware the new Garrett DBB are working VERY well and the spool increase has been very noticable.
Noticable enough to pay almost double the price? well thats up to everyone elses check book :)
But i will probably be moving to the 80mm DBB sometime this year.

OT: car is done and was on the dyno yesterday breaking the motor in. I should get it back this week. :)

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Kinda off topic, but how many of you folks that ran the ITS DBB Turbos ran the coolant lines, i've heard that running w/o em leads to premature bearing failure?

Correct me if i'm wrong? But isn't this what happened to you Tony (Silver Bullet)?

vnt

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Yes they do!
In the great words of Jim Carrey " Reeeaaalllllyyy !!!!!!"

More info needed Larry (Sound performance) please, Price, How long from date of purchase to delivery etc etc. !

1 - 20 of 57 Posts