Supra Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
6,546 Posts
I have an abs car, but I unplugged the actuator for that test. I was going to do a abs vs non-abs test, but the g-tech wasn't being repeatable enough to make it worthwhile (IIRC it was 139' non-abs vs 135' abs -- but I was still getting a feel for mk3 threshold braking)

· Registered
3,282 Posts
adjuster said:
mostly stupid shit
while i agree there was a lot of stupidity (and i hate SUV's) it was NOT the SUV driver's fault. the streets are designed for a safe driving speed, and these guys had obliterated it. the SUV might've not had the time to see their headlights and judge distance. if they had a green light, they probably didn't expect to get slammed from some moron racing on public roads.

if you want to race, take it to a RACE TRACK. keep my family, my friends, and myself safe. if you have a death wish, don't inflict it upon others.

· Registered
311 Posts
Nocheez said:
while i agree there was a lot of stupidity (and i hate SUV's) it was NOT the SUV driver's fault. the streets are designed for a safe driving speed, and these guys had obliterated it. the SUV might've not had the time to see their headlights and just distance. if they had a green light, they probably didn't expect to get slammed from some moron racing on public roads.

if you want to race, take it to a RACE TRACK. keep my family, my friends, and myself safe. if you have a death wish, don't inflict it upon others.
Guess you never speed, eh? Never drink coffee while driving? Talk to your passenger? Fiddle with the radio? How about the most deadly...talk on a cell phone? Smoke while driving? Got kids? Ever yell at them while drving? All these contribute to accidents at a much greater rate than street racing!!

What's more dangerous than any street race? A driver who "decides to be safe" and drives 85kph in the middle lane of 100kph highway. Or maybe the people who think a turns signal is optional.

In 2001 Toronto had 14 deaths related to street racing. There were 733 traffic deaths that year. 204 of them were due to impaired driving. If I were to be concerned about somebody hurting my family, friends or myself it would be the drunks.

I am not encouraging reckless street racing, swerving in and out of traffic with blatent disregard for public safety. Pick industrial areas after work hours. Post cars at cross rodes. Race on the highway at 2:00 AM when there is no traffic. If the cops show up don't run, accept your ticket and fight it in court if you want. Most cities don't have race tracks. If you think auto enthusiest are going to drive hours to compete with there friend who lives two blocks away your nuts.

· Registered
3,282 Posts
i'm not nuts. if street racers had taken it to the track then 14 people wouldn't be dead right now. drunk driving is bad as well, i've always had the open offer for ANYONE who knows me to call my cell phone and i'll drive ANYWHERE to pick them up and ANYTIME. and i will.

street racing will give you 6 points on your license in my state. there's a reason it's frowned upon, and it's because it endangers lives. what if this had happened in daytime and the SUV rolled over a family crossing a side street?

the argument that other things are more hazardous than street racing means nothing. street racing is still dangerous, and all racing should be done on a track.

i'm human. i've doubled the speed limit (an offense which can get your license revoked for many years in my state), but it was a deserted highway, and i would have only killed myself. i still should not have done it. guess that's part of owning a Supra though ;)

· Registered
311 Posts
That's exactly what I'm getting at. Street racing done right is only a risk to the racers themselves. No need to portray all "public highway competition enthusiasts" as innocent life stealers.

The reason it is "frowned upon" is because it is a buzz word. 14 out of 733. Do you think that is a real issue of traffic safety to focus on? 1.9% of accidents in this case were caused by street racing. I bet 1.9% of the accidents were caused by sneezing! Spend my tax dollars making the road safe, yes!!! But spend it wisely and make a differnence. Focus on the big issues. Again I will emphisise that driving endangering other road users in any form is not right, but this doesn't have to include street racing.

· wha huh?
954 Posts
I agree entirely with mostly thumbs... there is street racing alomst every night in my area on one of the biggest and most populated streets around, yet in the last year there has only ben one accident involving street racing, and that was some jackass who decided to pull out in front of the racers. no one was killed or seriously injured. but the fact is that there is a small percentage of overall deaths attributed to street racing

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.