Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fried my clutch on the dyno a few nights ago at Speedcraft in Orange Park, FL and decided to order the RPS stage 3 sprung hub setup with the Mueller lightened flywheel. I looked all over the archieves looking for what kind of rwhp the light flywheel frees up. I realize that the results would be different from, say, a stock Supra and a 800 rwhp monster so I'm wondering what the gain curve is. My car laid down 463.6 rwhp just as the clutch went south. It's a T-78 with stock fuel, S-AFC, VPC, FMIC, Blitz D-SBC, so anyone with any experience with the lightened flywheel, please post your hp gains. I'm looking for the whole before and after thing.

Eric

T-78 w/ chicken fried clutch mod

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
You should pick up 15 rwhp across the whole rpm range...
Peter

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about flywheels myself lately, mine needs replacing also. I've heard that a light weight flywheel does free up hp, but they are not good for our cars. They throw off the harmonic balance of something or another. Can someone verify any of this for me?

Chris

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure they throw off the factory balance. But no one has linked their use to blown engines. So far it's just theory.

I trust Toyota over any aftermarket manufacturer. The question you need to ask yourself is: Is 15 rwhp worth a possible short block replacement? I am not implying anything here; I would use one is a heartbeat if they had the driveability characteristics of the stock flywheel. But that is the tradeoff.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Darrin,
My understanding was that the primary danger with using a lightweight flywheel was damage to the tranny. This is the first that I have heard about possible damage to the shortblock.

Am I just remembering this incorrectly?

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The deal with the stock clutch disc is that it has no springs in it, instead the stock flywheel has it. That is why it weighs 34 lbs. Now when you add a ligthened flywheel your engine rpms get freed up and the car feels more lively with instant rpms as you get on the gas. The reason is the lightened flywheel weighs 13 lbs.

Now in order to use the lightened flywheel and not to damage your transmission you have to use a clutch disc that has the springs in it. Example RPS Stage III Carbon Sprung Disc which can be used with the Mueller lightened flywheel. Also keep in mind with this setup you will hear a slight chatter at idle when your car is in neutral and the clutch is not depressed. But it goes away as soon as you press the clutch in or start driving, which is normal.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Do these problems come into play with the Automatic Supras as well?... I want an aftermarket flywheel for the same reason, much quicker revs.. and If I can get upto higher RPMs faster, I can build boost faster.. thus feeling a little better about a larger Single...

Id like to know if anyone has the flywheel on their auto supra... and how they like it.. Id hate to end up with problems down the road... but that little bit of extra power would be nice.. since the auto robs a little more power in the first place.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
I Dyno'ed a week ago with these mods + 1,100miles on new short block (perfect comp) 7k miles on "new used" twins...

93 pump gas
HKS intake/ SSBOV
AEM Cam Gear -4 exhaust
RPS Stage III clutch w/ Mueller lightened flywheel
RMM Downpipe
Hks exhaust
Greddy Boost Guage w/ peak hold...
I only hit 1.1 Bar on booth pulls??

...w/ this setup I hit 380rwhp....Damn, if 15rwhp is coming from that lightened flywheel, then I'd be at 365rwhp with the stock flywheel
:(

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I installed my Mueller light flywheel and RPS stage III sprug hub clutch a little while back and decided to switch to the electric fans also. Man what a difference. At the low end the car just jumps to life and and I still need to tune to reach an acceptable high end. I recommend to all if you can stand the chatter. It gets quieter with time though.

Eric

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
cowboy bebop said:
I installed my Mueller light flywheel and RPS stage III sprug hub clutch a little while back and decided to switch to the electric fans also. Man what a difference. At the low end the car just jumps to life and and I still need to tune to reach an acceptable high end. I recommend to all if you can stand the chatter. It gets quieter with time though.

Eric
Thats just the kind of thing I wanted to hear... makes me want a flywheel more now :D ... im assuming its similar for automatics too right?

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
I have a Mueller Flywheel with my 3rd RPS stage III clutch.

I barly have any chatter......it spools up faster and feels alot stronger then it did with the factory flywheel.

Since my upgrade to this flywheel, I can say....I will never put a factory flywheel back in my car. I think the power/rpm gain is well worth any downsides.

The only downsides I have come across
some chattering...(not very loud)
less spinning mass, is harder to start with from a dead stop.
I drag race alot, and I have noticed my 60' times drop a little bit.
I was pulling 1.70 - 1.90 adverage times
now I am 1.90- 2.0 on adverage

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I don't know the benefits or gains to be had other than the obvious from the LW flywheel...All I know is that the stock flywheel is a dual mass design that allows some shock absorbtion with a hard clutch disk...If you go with a light weight you loose that feature so its recommended you go with a sprung hub clutch design like the rps stage 3. The sprung hub absorbs some of the shock rather than the flywheel itself.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Now I find that if I slip the clutch at 2000 rpm for normal everyday in town take off, there's no chatter. Anything lower, it chatters pretty hard. I'm wondering if the chatter, even though absorbed by the springs in the clutch, harms the drivetrain any. I just don't need any synchros going bad is all.

Eric

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DANKAHOLIK said:
I was wondering about flywheels myself lately, mine needs replacing also. I've heard that a light weight flywheel does free up hp, but they are not good for our cars. They throw off the harmonic balance of something or another. Can someone verify any of this for me?

Chris
you are thinking of the lightweight underdrive pulleys that often make cars do without the harmonic balancer

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah man, no fly wheel or clutch in auto but you have a torque conveter instead which u could upgrade.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts