Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to buy J.E Pistons. .20over. To be used with SP63 turbo. Seeking your opinions on performance of the pistons, any problems, gains experienced. Thanks!
PiotrSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
70 Posts
PiotrSM said:
I am just about to buy J.E Pistons. .20over. To be used with SP63 turbo. Seeking your opinions on performance of the pistons, any problems, gains experienced. Thanks!
PiotrSM
[email protected]
Just out of curiosity, is your motor already blown? If so then the piston selection would be ok. If not you can use direct a replacement piston from J.E, for some reason these cost more. Keep in mind that doing a build usually cost more then just buying rods and a new OEM shortblock. There has been some controversy on Oem shortblocks but if it is inspected the problems would be evident to any competent machinist. There are many known racers, Ara being an example, who run boost pressures in excess of 35 psi on stock pistons. The problem, when properly tuned, is usually the rod and rod bearings. I hope this helps.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks t51rmkiv much for your valuable comment. The engine is not blown, but compresion tests have shown that I have decresed (from 11 to 8) compression on cylinder no 4 and 6. So I anticipate problems coming soon. How serious this is? What cause do you think? The engine is 70k and was BPU++ run hard for 30k, then briefly SP63, to over 30PSI when the turbo burned from overheat.

·
boostin'
122 Posts
If all you did was a compression test you may want to do a leak-down just to make sure it is something in the block. Otherwise there's a chance it could be just some valves or something (even the headgasket), in which case would be much cheaper to replace (or even rebuild the cylinder head) over just pulling the entire motor. Just fyi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts