Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PHR Powered Pimp Moderator
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently running stock U.S. twins, but i heard that the j-spec twins are bigger than the US ones. The only thing is the j-spec ones use a ceramic wheel and they're not very good if i wanted to boost higher. so my questions are : are the j-spec turbos bigger? if they are, how much? will i feel any noticable difference in power? will they bolt right on? also if i did do this swap should i change the wheel to a metal one. and info is appreciated. thanks

L

·
0 Posts
J spec turbines ARE ceramic, for quicker spool up, of course. The J engine is rated at 276 BHP, and according to a comparison report between 7M, 1J, and 2J motors, the jap 2JZ is inferior in total power output. It is said to have more area under the curve, like 1J's do.

I say stick w/ what ya got.

·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. But i read that the reason that the reason that the j-spec motor is weaker is because they use a smaller cam, smaller injectors, and they have less valve inlet. im not to sure on this info, so if you find out anything else or if someone has this swap done or knows someone that has this swap done and feedback will be appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
Hey turboracer, that wouldn't be riverside, Ca. that you live in would it?

·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea actually it is... why do you ask?

S

·
0 Posts
i actually did change to the jap variety after mine got play in the shaft and i had a donor jap engine.... they are significantly larger but at the same time definately weaker....do not do it if you can avoid it...i only did for about two weeks now my car is getting a t-61 kit installed... besides if they r like mine they've sat for a while and probably are not good anyway....good luck :)

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
SUPRAFREAKZ said:
i actually did change to the jap variety after mine got play in the shaft and i had a donor jap engine.... they are significantly larger but at the same time definately weaker....do not do it if you can avoid it...i only did for about two weeks now my car is getting a t-61 kit installed... besides if they r like mine they've sat for a while and probably are not good anyway....good luck :)
thanks for clearing that up. we took a set off of a car last week that had blown up and i should've looked then to compare.

and your last line just mentioned about 99.9% of the stock twins out there that people buy. lol. i'd say nowadays, putting on another set of stock twins is nothing more than a temporary bullshit fix. they're going to die again, and usually fairly quickly. then you have the people whose stock twins last forever..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts