·
...pop the hood!
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
then the zupr4 called the cops lol...

·
iSPOOL
961 Posts
Damn that sucks. I hope his insurance covers it. I haven't raced on a track with any of my cars so will a crash like this be covered?

·
Anime Dork
5,190 Posts
Damn that sucks. I hope his insurance covers it. I haven't raced on a track with any of my cars so will a crash like this be covered?
It would depend on the insurance company and whether or not he has the car insured so that it would cover motorsports activity on the weekends.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A normal insurance policy won't cover any of this. You need to buy track specific insurance which can be fairly expensive. Sometimes a day can be as much as 6 months of your normal policy.

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
^^What he said.

Ken.

·
Administrator
8,313 Posts
I watched another video of his, is it me or does he seem over confident of his driving ability?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I watched another video of his, is it me or does he seem over confident of his driving ability?

He is quite confident in his driving ability (which is pretty good) but the issue is his aggressive racing lines. Strange to actually go off the road before a corner by trying to use as much track as possible, just warming up his new tires too. I recommend track day insurance to anyone who runs with a newer car. It's a shame really, stock power level but the car needs more downforce. Cause and effect that made him push so hard to stay up with the class lap times.

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,562 Posts
Yes I've also noticed that he was over confident in his previous videos. I New it would eventually happen to this kid. WHat really matters is that he didn't get hurt or hurt anyone else.

·
...pop the hood!
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was wondering if he might have the bmw rack issue a few of the other zupr4s had.

it was really weird how he couldn't steer it...but maybe he just could not right himself once the wheel hit the dirt.

what do you guys think?

·
Kappa Check 1 2
669 Posts
^^Possibly. But at the speed he was going that grass was basically an oil slick, hard to say it was a contributing factor but its off Toyota's hands now if it was.

I had a gut wrenching feeling watching his video before the crash video, I even thought to myself "He REALLY needs new tires before he loses it at the wrong corner."....then.... the follow up crash video next day even with new tires. For someone as serious about racing as he is, I was also surprised he didn't do HKS coilovers yet and maybe the Cusco front strut brace, at the very least. Not sure those would have helped in this situation though, just my thoughts. He's been racing it in stock form for about 1 month now and should know the limitations pretty well, but I also understand Jackie is just always borderline overly aggressive on whatever he drives. Sucks to see this happen to him, because I can care less about this car in the straight line, and Jackie is the only one I know of doing routine coverage of it at the track.

EDIT: This could have been much worse, in one of his earlier videos he came within inches of a concrete wall if I had to guess. Just good that he's alright and it appears to be cosmetic damage only, but we'll find out soon enough.

-Rich

·
Kappa Check 1 2
669 Posts
Jackie posted on the MKV forum, turns out he did have insurance that day.

Yup I just did that. God I hate myself right now.
What sucks is that I wasn’t even pushing hard for a time. It was towards the end of my warm up lap, just run a tiny bit wide and caught the grass, and that was that.

Don’t know if the car is totalled or not, I luckily had a stroke of brilliance and purchased track insurance yesterday morning, it’ll still be a financial lost but oh well. As soon as I get more news I’ll share with you guys.

Either way, this won’t be the end of the TA90. Whether we attempt to fix this one (tough with all the computer errors and warnings, plus parts availability) or just get another one to start again, I’ll be back into it!

-Rich

·
iSPOOL
961 Posts
That's good to know. Thanks for finding out for us Rich.

·
Blue Thunder
3,396 Posts
That'll BUFF out !!!

·
Administrator
8,313 Posts
He is quite confident in his driving ability (which is pretty good) but the issue is his aggressive racing lines. Strange to actually go off the road before a corner by trying to use as much track as possible, just warming up his new tires too. I recommend track day insurance to anyone who runs with a newer car. It's a shame really, stock power level but the car needs more downforce. Cause and effect that made him push so hard to stay up with the class lap times.
I looked up his racing record, its not very good. But then again hes only like 21 years old, how much experience could one have at that age. Also funny he video tapes his foot box with an automatic car..lol.

·
Administrator
8,313 Posts
Off topic somewhat, but has anyone seen or follow BIGUMTT on YT? He is an ABSOLUTE BEAST! When people say MKIV isn't a trackable car...🤣🤣🤣

I have seen some of his runs, dude is legit.

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
Off topic somewhat, but has anyone seen or follow BIGUMTT on YT? He is an ABSOLUTE BEAST! When people say MKIV isn't a trackable car...🤣🤣🤣

....They say so out of ignorance. Dan Gurney (RIP) himself declared the MKIV at its introduction as one of the best road race cars around (this was at Road Atlanta). Juan Manuel Fangio, Jr., said the same thing. And, if you don't believe those two very accomplished professionals, just ask Leh Keen, Greg Caloudas, Andi Baritchi or SW who successfully road raced the MKIV over a number of years.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts