Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Flashback to 2007.

I was 16 and had my first job at In N Out, across the street from a Circuit City.

Every night, there was a white MKIV Supra parked in the Circuit City parking lot. It was my first time seeing one up close.

The car was in sorry shape. It had a cracked up carbon fiber hood and beat up Blitz body kit. It looked better from far away.

Circuit City closed down and the car was spotted only a few times after that.

8 years later in 2015.

My neighborhood is separated by a major thoroughfare, thus, I rarely visit the other side.

On a rare occasion of driving through, I spotted a big spoiler poking out from a cul-de-sac. Curiosity came knocking.

It was the Supra from Circuit City. Layers of dirt covered the car, and the tires had debris built up around them. The tags had been expired for two years (2013 expiration date) and Google Street View showed it hadn't moved since then.

I snapped a photo from the passenger seat of my friend's 1984 300ZX (below). Buying neglected cars has always been a passion of mine, I eventually bought the 300ZX, too.

At this point, I had a MK3 at home, but it was not finished. A MK4 would have been way out of my price range, so the intention was to settle with a built MK3 Supra.

There were a few other local neglected cars that I wanted, but this one immediately jumped to the top of that list. The next few days were filled with wonder - who leaves a MKIV Supra outside to rot? What's wrong with it?

Google Street View showing the car parked in 2013.

There was only one way to get this car - grow a pair and ask to buy it.

The gentleman who answered the door was the owner. He said it had been sitting for quite a while and was likely only going to sit for years to come. It seemed like he wanted to see the car get restored and driven.

A closer look revealed the following:

1994 Supra twin turbo
Automatic
TT calipers painted red with Brembo stickers, rusty rotors
Blitz bumpers, side skirts, spoiler, trunk logo, BOV, turbo timer
Relatively stock and untouched 2JZ-GTE, stock twins
Carbon fiber hood, cracked and faded, doesn't fully latch
Aluminum radiator, missing fan shroud and condenser
Blitz 19" wheels with Michelin tires, 245 front, 295 rear
HKS Super Drager catback exhaust
96-98 headlights and tail lights
Cracked windshield, rear view broken off
Purple tint, bubbling up badly
White gauge inlays, aftermarket Pioneer radio
Dents all over, scratches in the paint, fading here and there
Faded pearl white paint job, jammed and everything

To my surprise, he threw out a number that was completely within my available budget. There was no doubt, many thousands would be required to restore this thing.

The key was also missing, so there was no indication of mileage. It was unlocked.

A day went by. My anxiety levels went off the chart. I need this car in my life.

He accepted my offer and we went to the local Toyota dealership to have a new key cut from the VIN.

I popped in the battery from my 89 MKIII Supra, which was engineless at the time. The instrument cluster came to life with 63,000 miles even on the ODO. The MKIII battery needed a jump, since it had lost charge sitting idle about 9 months.

The transmission was automatic, unfortunately. The 2JZ-GTE's oil was clean and at the proper level. Turned the key and she started right up. I regret not making a video of this event... it was a moment to behold. I was shocked with how well it ran - I had assumed it was not running, hence the sitting.

Immediately, I took the car around the block for a test drive. The first turbo spooled up with minimal pedal effort and the sound had me hooked. I let off the pedal and heard "PSHHHH." The silliest grin came upon my face, I knew this was my lucky day.

Here it is back home in my driveway, a mere 1000 feet away from its prior home.

Here it is with the older Supra counterpart residing in the garage, plus a gutted/chopped up 89 Supra parts car in the driveway.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I had to go to work - there was absolutely no doubt in my mind what I was driving that day.

Note - ugly white gauge inlays and aftermarket radio.

Made it to work without a hiccup!

My friend Carlos helping me clean it up.

Years of dirt washing away...

A distinct color difference was uncovered!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blitz Technospeed Z1 19"... dirty as hell. Clean up then polish.

Headlights next, some bad oxidation going on:

Cleaned up and looking much better:

Cleaned up interior, seats could use some reupholstery

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blitz logo and Toyota logos were painted Gold... ugly if you ask me. Plus this Blitz logo can go in its entirety.

Notice the pearl blue in the paint?

Ten minutes later, it was dirty again lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it cleaned up pretty nicely. Reality is - the fenders in front are tweaked, the front bumper is ruined, the side skirts look terrible....

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS TO NICE CARS? Time to get this thing back on the road to a better life...

Side skirts... screw these things. Screw everything about them.

Fenders and hood...

Parts!

Front bumper
Rear bumper
Fenders
Hood
Side pieces

Dewinged, bondo on sides removed, and hood properly latched...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't forget the ass end! Side note: Can't wait to manual swap this thing.

Anyway...

Rear bumper removed, rear quarter skirts removed, stock bumper installed

Ugly fiberglass bondo...

While I was at it, I realized the exhaust was a good brand - HKS Super Drager

Side pieces fit fine, but will be installed after bondo is fully removed

Scored a white spoiler for a steal! $25!

Removed the stupid white gauge inlays. Factory looks 100x better!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little before and after so far... less than a month since I bought it

The Blitz wheels are gone - Traded them for a set of chrome TT wheels plus cash.

The sorry state of the brakes - new rotors and pads will be finding their way onto this car. The silly brembo stickers will be removed from the stock TT calipers.

Bonus! Stainless steel braided lines!

The car looks pretty shitty with the chromes on, don't get me wrong. If they don't come out nice on a new white paintjob, then they're going to be painted silver or white. Nothing on the car matches yet anyway.

Later went down to my friend John's. Using his lift, I was able to check the catalytic converters. After finding shit like this, you better believe it's getting straight piped with the correct size tubing. Test pipe + weld these two ugly cats together for a temporary smog solution.

Alongside: John's latest vehicle, a 98 4Runner 4x4.

In a little while, the car will be painted and looking like it should!

WILL IT PASS SMOG?

YES, YES IT HAS

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tags!

Sent the tint back to hell from where it came. Faded to purple es muy mexicano.

My friend John had an alternator from a Lexus RX330 he had parted out. The thing shared internals, voltage regulators, brushes, stator... it was the same alternator with the exception of the mounting locations on the housing and the size of the positive terminal.

My alternator randomly failed - the trick was switching the piece with the positive terminal. The lexus terminal was too short, so John cut it off, tapped it, then did the same for the longer Supra terminal. Screwed the longer terminal onto the now-threaded Lexus terminal - I've got an alternator. 14.3V of alternating goodness.

Shown: alternator with the backing, voltage regulator, brushes, and the terminal piece removed.

This thing's really growing on me...

Got rid of the Pioneer radio it had. What a piece of junk that thing was. It couldn't even save radio presets. Got a stocker in good working order.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
After reading about the OEM 5x7 subwoofer, I was curious why mine must not be working. Popped the clips from the carpet and unscrewed the cover... Ordered one from eBay.

OEM 5x7 subwoofer!

Wiring and insulation from a MKIII supra speaker box. Perfect fit.

The car has a bad pull, so I paid our alignment tech a visit. The toe was terrible up front. Thankfully, the car will soon have a new matching set of tires.

Unfortunately, it appears the third brake light has some burnt LEDs. Oddly, the number of burnt LEDs doubled while the lights were held on. The burned out ones on the left side stopped working on the alignment rack. I found another tail light for sale.

Replacement LED tail light. Strangely, when I was testing the new one, I found that the old one seems to be working on all LED's again...

keeping this as a spare.

466 Posts
You run the CarFax on this baby to make sure your mileage is not fishy? I can't believe the poor state of this with such low mileage. It is really a project but looks like you are making it right! Like to see the finished result. Are you going to keep it white or go with the Alpine? :)

·
NY56637
1,814 Posts
Nice to see someone taking care of this car and bringing it back to life!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Keep it half white and half alpine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
with 15,000 dollars and overnight parts from japan. we can turn this into a pile. for someone to undo and fix a decade later. nice save already looks 100x better.

·
95 Supra under the knife.
358 Posts
Nice find and great job on saving it!

I'm also wondering about the mileage, only because the drivers seat bolster has a lot of wear for 63k miles.

Not trying to bash the car or anything, just kinda stating the obvious.

·
Registered
713 Posts
you blurred out the VIN on the smog report.... I can run an auto-check if you want. I am also now super curious if the mileage is accurate.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
great job on the resurrection!

1 - 20 of 333 Posts