Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new here and new to the world of Supra's.... sort of. I've always loved Supra's and wanted an MKIII.
Here's my original NOOB thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428474

First off, I'm NOT up to date on your Supra Lingo so please be detailed instead of using abbreviations!!!

I've struck a deal to buy a nice '89 or '90 Supra from Japan. The car is obviously right hand drive and has a good deal of mods for the money. I went and briefly looked it over again today and snapped some pics with my crappy camera. It was tucked in the corner and the guy just wants it gone. It starts, but doesnt run very well as it has been sitting for a couple of years. I havent started it yet, and I dont want to until I flush the fuel system and change the oil (at a minimum).

This car is a twin turbo model with a manual trans. The car has a 3" exhaust system from the cat back, I couldnt see further forward so I dont know about downpipes. It has some fairly nice 5 spoke 17" wheels with 215-45(F) and 255-40(R), and also seems to be lowered. It has a turbo timer of some sort and an aftermarket steering wheel, as well as a Blitz BOV. Also has an HKS P flow. It has 157,000km on the odometer so about 100k miles.

First, what should I be aware of? I've read through the FAQ for MKIII's and the car looks pretty solid having little to no rust. The mechanical will have to wait til I start it.
Second, what upgrades do you suggest? Anything that should be upgraded now while I'm performing a complete tune up? Spark plug recommendations and gap? I'll replace the fuel pump when the tank is out with a high flow Walbro. Anything else?
Third, with the car running properly and having the above mods in mind.... what kind of times should this car run? I am a very skilled driver and am very quick to learn techniques and improvise. I am hoping for at least some 13s on the street radials. Someone here said this car should have 285hp stock?? Would it be realistic to expect 300-310hp with the mods on the vehicle?
Fourth, I'm not sure which front bumper this car is supposed to have as there is no lower section.... but I really like the newer front bumper cover. Is this car supposed to come with that style (where the "grille" is separated) front end and if not, can it be fitted?
I'm extremely tired now and will go to bed, but I appreciate any help you guys can give and any heads up so that I can make sure to look out for the right stuff and plan ahead to gauge my expenses. Having my car stolen this week and not having full coverage really put a dent in my pocket so I must be very prepared for the next little while. Thanks again.
SS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely a six.

Please excuse the crappy quality but the camera sucks. Any help on answering those questions? Thanks again guys, I cant wait to pick it up and start cleaning her up!
SS

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
All Supras have inline 6's, just of varying sizes and configurations.

That is a 2.0L Inline 6 with twin turbos. It puts down 210hp. It's called the 1G-GTE, and the car is a GA70.

We never had that engine in North America, so parts are semi-hard to find. I haven't heard much bad about them at all, it will be somewhat lacking as far as hard torque goes, but if you get the car for a really decent price, it might be worth it.

You're going to have to push it a bit if you want 13's out of it, I doubt the stock turbos would be good for it.

Get the car checked over first before you buy it, especially as far as the engine goes, you don't want to be stuck having to replace a ton of parts on a Japanese-only engine.

Yes that car is meant to have the newer style bumper, if it is an 89+ model (built after 08/88).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, are you sure its a 2.0 and how can you tell? I was expecting the more powerful 2.5. If it cant even run 13s on those turbos I'd be a lot less interested. I wanted to replace my Stang with a faster car. Are you sure its a 2.0 and not a 2.5????
SS

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Damn, are you sure its a 2.0 and how can you tell? I was expecting the more powerful 2.5. If it cant even run 13s on those turbos I'd be a lot less interested. I wanted to replace my Stang with a faster car. Are you sure its a 2.0 and not a 2.5????
SS
Lol YES ITS 2.0! :faint:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I did some searching and it seems that the 2.5 looks just like the 3.0 in the MKIV. It seems to me that the engine in the pic above looks very similar to the 7MGTE, as I just happened to work on one two days after seeing the JDM car which led me to believe it to be the 1JZ-GTE. Damn, I was happy to be up on the rest by 50hp and now I find out I'm down 20hp and even more torque.
What, if any, benefits does this engine have? Would I be better off holding off on the car or should I pick it up? The price is very good, its far less than it would cost to just import the car. How much power can I make with this smaller engine? Thanks for all the help, and sorry for all the questions but now I'm kind of disheartened and left questioning my decision.
SS

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
is it a narrowbody?

the 1G's aren't bad, the few people on these forums that have them really enjoy them as they don't have tons of torque, but will spin up very high. There are all sorts of very nice (not crappy chinese pieces it seems) manifolds on ebay that will allow all sorts of turbo upgrades that will make it one hell of a ride...

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Japanese model, and I think it's a '90 or '91. It is Twin Turbo, has 17" wheels, upgraded exhaust, seems to be lowered, and has some upgraded intercooler piping with a Blitz BOV.
Aside from the good stuff, the car needs paint as the clear on the roof is peeling, the front bumper is missing, and the left side ("passenger") fender has a massive dent along the body line. Also, the car has been sitting around for a while
Its a 89+ its manuel its sitting unloved either its broken or it a 1G for me thats 2 outs but 5spd rever make up for it

Take a clear pic of the ID plate (silver tag engine bay drivers side) post on here with that I can see what diff code etc LSD/4.5 prob

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
I guess the car missing the "2.5 Twin Turbo" Badges would be a give-away that it's not a 1JZ :)

Are you SURE it's an 89-90? As you said, it does have a pre-89 front bumper. It could very well be an 87-88 GA70, which the milage seems to point a little more to. Something's up with this vehicle for sure.

Post the ID plate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess the car missing the "2.5 Twin Turbo" Badges would be a give-away that it's not a 1JZ :)

Are you SURE it's an 89-90? As you said, it does have a pre-89 front bumper. It could very well be an 87-88 GA70, which the milage seems to point a little more to. Something's up with this vehicle for sure.

Post the ID plate.
It doesnt have a front bumper... long story but I'm going to try and head over there now if they're still at the shop. Its definitely an 89+
SS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts